NBC Sports Edge Forums

Taysom Hill 2020 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[ As mentioned previously, Hill's TE eligibility is a league/platform-specific issue that needs to be discussed in either the Commissioner's Corner or Platform Central thread.  Believe it or not, there are people who just want to discuss his fantasy outlook without arguing about which positional eligibility is correct.  Please help us out here and take those discussions elsewhere. ]

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

taysom hill owners once their fellow league managers see him slotted into the TE position  

I really like his matchup this weekend, Atlanta is last in the league against TE's, so I'm expecting a pretty big game.  

Posted Images

So I decided to look at the salary of guys and then look how much they are getting paid per yard based on the previous season they played. In some cases (like AJ Green) the last healthy season was 2 years ago. 

For instance, Julio is at 22M a year. He signed his contract in 2019 and in 2018 he had 1,789 yards. So that puts him at $12,297 per yard. Kind of crazy when you think about it. Anyways, here is some more: 

Cooper - $16,736

M. Thomas - $13, 701

Green - $16,572

T. Hill $12,170

This is the five highest paid guys. Sterling Shepard is $12,170, Devante Parker is $15,174 (I also based it on his season prior to the contract due to injury and in that season he played 12 games). Cooks is $13,455 for example and Landry who was viewed as overpaid is $15,298. I think we get the point though. The range is around $12,000-$16,000.

RBs is interesting. There are 5 RBs over 10M. There's goes as follows: CMC is at $6,695, Elliot $7,496, Bell $6,744, DJ $6,137 (had to base it on his monster season), Henry $5,886.

Obviously this doesn't show if a player was necessarily worth the contract (for example DJ sure as hell wasn't). Nor are yards the sure fire way to evaluate the value or worth of a contract. However, I think it does a good enough job of giving a baseline if the contract was decent enough at the time of signing and what is like relative to everyone else.

So now Tysom Hill. Now keep in mind, for him I added his passing yards. I didn't do that for anyone else. Drum roll please....

$23,077

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

So I decided to look at the salary of guys and then look how much they are getting paid per yard based on the previous season they played. In some cases (like AJ Green) the last healthy season was 2 years ago. 

For instance, Julio is at 22M a year. He signed his contract in 2019 and in 2018 he had 1,789 yards. So that puts him at $12,297 per yard. Kind of crazy when you think about it. Anyways, here is some more: 

Cooper - $16,736

M. Thomas - $13, 701

Green - $16,572

T. Hill $12,170

This is the five highest paid guys. Sterling Shepard is $12,170, Devante Parker is $15,174 (I also based it on his season prior to the contract due to injury and in that season he played 12 games). Cooks is $13,455 for example and Landry who was viewed as overpaid is $15,298. I think we get the point though. The range is around $12,000-$16,000.

RBs is interesting. There are 5 RBs over 10M. There's goes as follows: CMC is at $6,695, Elliot $7,496, Bell $6,744, DJ $6,137 (had to base it on his monster season), Henry $5,886.

Obviously this doesn't show if a player was necessarily worth the contract (for example DJ sure as hell wasn't). Nor are yards the sure fire way to evaluate the value or worth of a contract. However, I think it does a good enough job of giving a baseline if the contract was decent enough at the time of signing and what is like relative to everyone else.

So now Tysom Hill. Now keep in mind, for him I added his passing yards. I didn't do that for anyone else. Drum roll please....

$23,077

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

Gotta pay up if you want to keep your future franchise QB on the roster. Just the way the league works.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

Gotta pay up if you want to keep your future franchise QB on the roster. Just the way the league works.

Hmm maybe that’s why the Patriots traded for Sanu

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Hmm maybe that’s why the Patriots traded for Sanu

Love it or hate it, that’s just the way it is. You or I can disagree all we want, but all indications are he is the guy.

36 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

Love it or hate it, that’s just the way it is. You or I can disagree all we want, but all indications are he is the guy.

Yes like the indications of them signing a backup for Brees next season and then signing a backup again this season. The indications that he’s an absolutely awful passer and is about to turn 30.

All those indications...

21 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Yes like the indications of them signing a backup for Brees next season and then signing a backup again this season. The indications that he’s an absolutely awful passer and is about to turn 30.

All those indications...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2884279-sean-payton-talks-taysom-hill-says-saints-see-him-as-future-starting-qb.amp.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp-saints/nfl/saints/news/saints-taysom-hill-franchise-drew-brees-glazer

I understand it’s fun to get your laughs in and stuff, but at some point it would probably be good to come to grips with reality.

Edited by MJJ28
7 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

For you and possibility the Saints organization sure...

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

I understand it’s fun to get your laughs in and stuff, but at some point it would probably be a good idea to come to grips with reality.

Was this addressed to the forum or Sean Payton?

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

Hill as a QB is basically dollar store Tim Tebow and Tebow was already a dollar store NFL QB.

yes, entirely true, but there's more to the taysom than meets the hill, especially in ESPN leagues:

Saints quarterback Taysom Hill, who has been listed as quarterback for all three of his seasons with New Orleans, is now eligible at the tight end/flex position in ESPN fantasy leagues.Apr 29, 2020

• Like 1

From today's Glazer mailbag on The Athletic:

Hi, Jay. If and when Drew Brees retires, this year or the next, is Taysom Hill a future starter, or is that just a smokescreen? —Jim J.

"No smokescreen, he’s the guy. Sean Payton loves him but it’s not just him, the whole team loves him, not just Sean Payton. Watch a Saints game. When he’s in the game, watch the other players on the sideline, watch their reaction. They all get up and stand on the sidelines to watch him. I think Sean was always hoping to unleash him on the league without anyone seeing him before but now we’ve seen it with Lamar Jackson. He’s a bigger Lamar Jackson. No, it’s not a smokescreen. He likes him that much, he’ll be the guy. He’s with the perfect coach for that."

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I think Sean was always hoping to unleash him on the league without anyone seeing him before but now we’ve seen it with Lamar Jackson. He’s a bigger Lamar Jackson. No, it’s not a smokescreen. He likes him that much, he’ll be the guy. He’s with the perfect coach for that."

So why only pay him $21m over 2 years? If he's *that* good, should be on $35m+.

Unless he's not a bigger Lamar Jackson. Which would make sense, as his current body of work makes him qualified to do up Lamar's boots.

11 minutes ago, DeliciousGravy said:

So why only pay him $21m over 2 years? If he's *that* good, should be on $35m+.

Unless he's not a bigger Lamar Jackson. Which would make sense, as his current body of work makes him qualified to do up Lamar's boots.

Obviously because they didn’t have to. NFL teams aren’t in the business of giving money away.

1 minute ago, MJJ28 said:

Obviously because they didn’t have to. NFL teams aren’t in the business of giving money away.

Then why on earth give a 29yo bit-part gimmick player $21m with $16m guaranteed rather than let him play on his tender? Who are they bidding against? And in what galaxy is he comparable to the league MVP?

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, DeliciousGravy said:

Then why on earth give a 29yo bit-part gimmick player $21m with $16m guaranteed rather than let him play on his tender? Who are they bidding against? And in what galaxy is he comparable to the league MVP?

If he played on his tender he would be an unrestricted FA going into next season. They obviously view him as the QB once Brees leaves, which is probably after this year, so they probably thought it would be good to have him under contract for next season so that they have control of their future QB. The deal is pretty damn cheap for a QB in waiting, so not sure why you are making a big stink about the figures.

Edited by MJJ28
  • Like 1

I don't pretend to know what exactly the Saints are thinking or planning for Hill. He was gonna get around $5 MM this year on his tender, so I think it was more a reward for what he has meant to the team, a clue for an even more expanded offensive role this year and a hedge in case Brees retires they have an in-house option-- as Winston might not show enough to be counted on/might show so much that he prices himself out of their market. I personally do not think the $ is that outrageous for a guy with his versatility. I also don't think his passing touch is pro level, or that he can remain healthy with his style of play...but Payton has forgot more about football and esp the QB spot than I will ever know too.

5 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

From today's Glazer mailbag on The Athletic:

Hi, Jay. If and when Drew Brees retires, this year or the next, is Taysom Hill a future starter, or is that just a smokescreen? —Jim J.

"No smokescreen, he’s the guy. Sean Payton loves him but it’s not just him, the whole team loves him, not just Sean Payton. Watch a Saints game. When he’s in the game, watch the other players on the sideline, watch their reaction. They all get up and stand on the sidelines to watch him. I think Sean was always hoping to unleash him on the league without anyone seeing him before but now we’ve seen it with Lamar Jackson. He’s a bigger Lamar Jackson. No, it’s not a smokescreen. He likes him that much, he’ll be the guy. He’s with the perfect coach for that."

giphy.gif

• 2 months later...