NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Taysom Hill 2020 Outlook

lolcopter

Message added by tonycpsu

[ As mentioned previously, Hill's TE eligibility is a league/platform-specific issue that needs to be discussed in either the Commissioner's Corner or Platform Central thread.  Believe it or not, there are people who just want to discuss his fantasy outlook without arguing about which positional eligibility is correct.  Please help us out here and take those discussions elsewhere. ]

3 minutes ago, coleporter said:

If ESPN reserves the right to strip him of his TE eligibility it does make FAAB more complicated. 

I mean if he ends up as starting QB and still has TE position its not fair to whoever doesn't have him. Basically automatically makes him number 2 TE ROS possibly number 1 😂

1 minute ago, sasnumberonefan said:

I am hoping, if anything, they wait until next week to do so. As of right now his snap counts don't justify QB only eligibility. 

Matthew Berry has written that they wont remove TE eligibility mid week. So at least one more week of TE

Edited by snerpy

1 minute ago, snerpy said:

I mean if he ends up as starting QB and still has TE position its not fair to whoever doesn't have him. Basically automatically makes him number 2 TE ROS possibly number 1 😂

ESPN chose to give him the designation and should stick with it the rest of the year.  It would be unfair to those that picked him up for that purpose.
Think of it as muti position eligibility like Fantasy Baseball. 

• Like 1

Honestly if Taysom doesn't get starting QB role next week, he's going to be pretty bad. In 2019 when Teddy took over week 3-7 Taysom had less snaps and way less fantasy points than when Brees was healthy. 

The likely hood of Taysom getting starting QB is probably slim as well. There's not that much to be excited about.

3 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

Only way he is losing his TE status this week is if Payton announces him as the starter. Highly unlikely. What is much more likely is that he plays enough snaps this week at QB to justify QB only designation going forward. We will see I guess. 

100% agree with this. I think Winston gets listed as a starter but Hill get his snaps increased 

9 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

Only way he is losing his TE status this week is if Payton announces him as the starter. Highly unlikely. What is much more likely is that he plays enough snaps this week at QB to justify QB only designation going forward. We will see I guess. 

I don't think he'll get so many that it warrants a designation change. He's a gadget/trick play/tough-athletic kind of guy and at most will see 5 QB snaps and maybe 1 throw. 

Hot take: He throws, rushes, and catches a TD this weekend.

• Like 1

Winston will be the starting QB, but Taysom is going to be heavily involved in the offense even more so than he already was. For what it’s worth he had his best game of the regular season last year against Atlanta (17.5 half ppr). 

I think he’s worth the stash until we see what the offense actually looks like. I think the injury is good news for Murray and Taysom personally, and a negative effect on the rest.

• Like 1

T. Hill is still off of most radars as far as being a TE eligible option.

Except ESPN (where he is eligible). They share my sentiment:

Why not? We live in a world where Jonnu Smith is still TE5 on a per-game basis despite not catching more than two passes in a game in more than a month, so what exactly do you have to lose? With Drew Brees (ribs) banged up, Sean Payton can either get creative with Hill (5.5 yards per carry, 12.3 yards per catch) or leave his fate in the hands of Jameis Winston. I don't expect regular snaps under center for Hill, but the mere fact that it's possible and that he's a big-play threat makes him viable at a position that is as ugly as it's been in years. -K.S.

I don’t get the logic of removing eligibility. If you picked him up on your team with a TE eligibility then you deserve the right to maintain that. 

Im sure I said it early on in this very thread. One of the risks/rewards of drafting or adding Taysom Hill was the chance that he sees increased QB snaps. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tenner said:

I don’t get the logic of removing eligibility. If you picked him up on your team with a TE eligibility then you deserve the right to maintain that. 

Im sure I said it early on in this very thread. One of the risks/rewards of drafting or adding Taysom Hill was the chance that he sees increased QB snaps. 

This is exactly how I feel. I feel like it would be completely unfair to spend a waiver priority or faab and then have him be stripped of his TE elgiability. Let’s be real, no one outside of 2 qb/superflex leagues would touch him if he didn’t have TE eligability. 

2 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

It’s been mentioned that Taysom’s role may actually decrease in all non-QB related roles while Brees is out.  That is because he’s now the only healthy backup should anything happen to Jameis.

I believe that is what happened in some capacity last year.

Yeah very possible. Another reason I feel like whoever takes the gamble and spends up should be rewarded with whatever upside there is. Otherwise they should remove his TE eligability now and it would be completely fair.

7 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Didn’t happen last year 

Yes it did.

I just looked, and he didn’t record a single target in 3 of the 5 games Brees was out, which suggests he wasn’t used much at all at WR. He had at least 1 catch in ALL 11 games with Brees under center.

He also only threw 1 pass total the entire 5 games Brees was out.

His rushing stayed fairly constant, but he never had more than 3 carries in a game without Brees.

Those expecting his usage to increase dramatically with Brees out may be disappointed.  If anything, it may decrease slightly.

• Like 1

In ESPN leagues hill is now listed as QB/TE. Two questions/thoughts for ESPN leagues with Team QB:

1. Will all of Winston and Hills stats be slotted into the Saints Team QB?

2. Would it be possible to start both Saints team qb and Hill at TE? Would be possible to get Hills stats towards 2 different positions?

7 hours ago, squidthunder said:

100% agree with this. I think Winston gets listed as a starter but Hill get his snaps increased 

They didn't in 2019. In the five games Bridgewater started, Hill had 15 touches and 1 pass attempt. In the 11 games Brees started, Hill had 37 touches and 6 pass attempts. 

• Thanks 1

Why won’t the Saints give Hill the start? He can throw the ball too right? Yes they use him for gadget plays and runs but I feel they should give home a shot at starting. He should know the offense by now, I would love to see him start and ball out personally. Maybe Saints fans can chime in, I don’t watch their games jut the highlights.

31 minutes ago, SteveOBayArea said:

Why won’t the Saints give Hill the start? He can throw the ball too right? Yes they use him for gadget plays and runs but I feel they should give home a shot at starting. He should know the offense by now, I would love to see him start and ball out personally. Maybe Saints fans can chime in, I don’t watch their games jut the highlights.

He is not a good passer of the ball. 

13 minutes ago, MrCantaloupe said:

So let's say I grab this guy and lock him into my TE spot, and he balls out at QB, and ESPN removes his TE eligibility next week... Will there be anything that keeps me from leaving him at TE, same way healthy players can remain on IR?

i presume if you make another roster move, whether its a drop or add...you'll be prompted to remove him from the tightend spot. that's what happens when you leave a non ir player in the ir designation.