NBC Sports Edge Forums

Taysom Hill 2020 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[ As mentioned previously, Hill's TE eligibility is a league/platform-specific issue that needs to be discussed in either the Commissioner's Corner or Platform Central thread.  Believe it or not, there are people who just want to discuss his fantasy outlook without arguing about which positional eligibility is correct.  Please help us out here and take those discussions elsewhere. ]

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

taysom hill owners once their fellow league managers see him slotted into the TE position  

I really like his matchup this weekend, Atlanta is last in the league against TE's, so I'm expecting a pretty big game.  

Posted Images

10 hours ago, 33legend said:

In ESPN leagues hill is now listed as QB/TE. Two questions/thoughts for ESPN leagues with Team QB:

1. Will all of Winston and Hills stats be slotted into the Saints Team QB?

2. Would it be possible to start both Saints team qb and Hill at TE? Would be possible to get Hills stats towards 2 different positions?

I could be wrong, but points are not assigned to specific positions, they're scored for a given activity.  If a running back throws for a TD he gets passing yard points and the TD value.  If a QB passes to himself and scores a touchdown he should almost double his points.  Basically if he did start at QB whoever started him at TE would have two QB slots for that week.  Interesting to ponder, but unlikely.

3 hours ago, fbi314159 said:

I could be wrong, but points are not assigned to specific positions, they're scored for a given activity.  If a running back throws for a TD he gets passing yard points and the TD value.  If a QB passes to himself and scores a touchdown he should almost double his points.  Basically if he did start at QB whoever started him at TE would have two QB slots for that week.  Interesting to ponder, but unlikely.

Correct re: scoring.

32 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

He said that three years ago. It doesn't mean he still feels that way. Hill is a gadget guy that Payton can play all over the field in a variety of ways in a variety of roles. 

9 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

He said that three years ago. It doesn't mean he still feels that way. Hill is a gadget guy that Payton can play all over the field in a variety of ways in a variety of roles. 

With Brees out there's two ways of looking at this.  1.  Taysom Hill has to get more touches.  Or 2.  Are they more careful with Taysom as he is the back up QB now?

I picked him up with hopes that it's a lot more of #1 than #2 here.

• Like 1

I think they'll be more careful with him because he's the backup. His touches per game slightly decreased with Bridgewater starting last year, and I figure it will be the same this year. Hill was extremely injury prone at BYU, and I don't think Payton will want to risk Hill getting hurt in case something happens to Winston. 

[...] That game didn’t air up here, but they did show a few plays on the NFL network. Could be wrong, but Winston looked like he’s in the best shape of his life. He’s on a much better team, I think there’s a good chance he’ll do well. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
18 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Doesn’t mean he doesn’t. We do know Payton felt that way three years ago, and they just paid Hill an awful lot to be a “gadget guy”. Maybe he will just be an exorbitantly   paid gadget guy. But there’s also a chance Hill will get a shot to be Payton’s “Steve Young” on a new look Saints offense of the future. For dynasty owners, it’s exciting, and fun potential. Hill being announced as this week’s starter could turn 6 to midnight.

If Taysom Hill beats Winston out for the starting QB job (which I feel is unlikely) he would be a fantasy God.  QB2 even QB3 numbers at TE in ESPN leagues.  Everyone should add this guy for right now just in case this does end up happening.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Doesn’t mean he doesn’t. We do know Payton felt that way three years ago, and they just paid Hill an awful lot to be a “gadget guy”. Maybe he will just be an exorbitantly   paid gadget guy. But there’s also a chance Hill will get a shot to be Payton’s “Steve Young” on a new look Saints offense of the future. For dynasty owners, it’s exciting, and fun potential. Hill being announced as this week’s starter could turn 6 to midnight.

I'm just saying that people like to bring that up (not you, but media) and act like that's been a running theme from Payton. He said it one time, three years ago. And as I've mentioned before, I don't trust Hill to make it through a 16-game season healthy, and he'll be 31 next season. I'd love for Taysom to get a lot of touches and even play a lot of QB...he has WR eligibility in my league, lol. I just don't see it happening, nor do I believe Payton really sees (or still sees) Hill as the next Steve Young. The next Tim Tebow, maybe...but not the HOFer. 

So I’ve read through all the posts the hate or love lol. But the real question is who’s starting him this week? I picked him up in all my ESPN leagues and I don’t have kelce in any of them so I’m starting him in 6 leagues at TE. My other options are players like Tonyan, Schultz, etc. But I think high risk high reward?

4 minutes ago, UcanTry said:

So I’ve read through all the posts the hate or love lol. But the real question is who’s starting him this week? I picked him up in all my ESPN leagues and I don’t have kelce in any of them so I’m starting him in 6 leagues at TE. My other options are players like Tonyan, Schultz, etc. But I think high risk high reward?

I picked him up in all leagues that I could, because the upside of being able to play a starting QB in the TE slot is a borderline cheat code. That said, I would wait to see how the practice reports/news progresses before making a decision. If Jameis is announced as the true starter, I wouldn't play him, as the above concerns about him being used less since he is the true #2 now are valid. 

Just now, sasnumberonefan said:

I picked him up in all leagues that I could, because the upside of being able to play a starting QB in the TE slot is a borderline cheat code. That said, I would wait to see how the practice reports/news progresses before making a decision. If Jameis is announced as the true starter, I wouldn't play him, as the above concerns about him being used less since he is the true #2 now are valid. 

While I do think Jameis will start I think Hill will play more then he did with Brees in there. Fantasy TE is such a wasteland as well. Sure I can start tonyan or graham or someone like that and get my 3-6 points but I’m going to roll him out there regardless of who’s the “starter”. They play Atlanta as well and the over under is at 51.5 so I’m gambling and starting him. 

1 minute ago, UcanTry said:

While I do think Jameis will start I think Hill will play more then he did with Brees in there. Fantasy TE is such a wasteland as well. Sure I can start tonyan or graham or someone like that and get my 3-6 points but I’m going to roll him out there regardless of who’s the “starter”. They play Atlanta as well and the over under is at 51.5 so I’m gambling and starting him. 

I am doing the same. TE is like a wasted roster spot this year. 

Just now, UcanTry said:

I hear you, I am just saying the above examples mentioned of Taysom playing less with Teddy starting last year seem to make sense, as risking injury of him as the true back up may sway Payton to not use Hill as much on gadget plays. Who knows though. I agree he has more upside than most TEs, his floor could legit be 0 though.

2 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

Why would they give this guy 2 year $16 million guaranteed contract for a few gadget plays a game? Seems like a total waste of team resources. Dude has 80 yds passing and 250 yds rushing and receiving. 

The $16M suggests they know what they have in their player, that’s true. Then again, why bring in Winston, why was he the one out there? Mop up duty in the event the starter goes down? Does that make sense?

2 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

The $16M suggests they know what they have in their player, that’s true. Then again, why bring in Winston, why was he the one out there? Mop up duty in the event the starter goes down? Does that make sense?

They literally paid Winston peanuts. Almost got him for free lol. They gave Hill 2 year $21 million contract!

Edited by fantasymad
18 minutes ago, UcanTry said:

I'm starting him over Austin Hooper. Before Hooper's 1.1 last week I was starting Hunter Henry, so safe to say I haven't gotten much from the TE spot the last 8 weeks. I'm just doing it for the upside that he either is magically the starter and puts up QB numbers in my TE slot for 1 week (before ESPN removes the TE tag), or the better outcome where he isn't the starter (so ESPN keeps the TE tag) but he's just much more involved as a gadget player.

Given what transpired last year when Brees went down, odds are he'll be less involved. For me though, it's worth the start upside at a position that's been a wasteland all season. If he get's me only 15 yards, who cares.

$8M per year is alot for a 2nd/3rd string QB(although not that unusual) but they probably could stomach it easier knowing how versatile he was and that he was going to get on the field even if Brees stayed healthy. It's not like he's Marcus Mariotta earning $9M and doing absolutely nothing for you if your starter stays healthy

1 minute ago, owenmills said:

$8M per year is alot for a 2nd/3rd string QB(although not that unusual) but they probably could stomach it easier knowing how versatile he was and that he was going to get on the field even if Brees stayed healthy. It's not like he's Marcus Mariotta earning $9M and doing absolutely nothing for you if your starter stays healthy

Think I read he is 2nd highest paid backup QB. As a 3rd stringer lol. That's a waste of money in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, UcanTry said:

Lol another saint cheat code with TE eligibility, who else remembers when Colston was a rookie and was yahoo TE in eligible?

I don't think there's been a more exploitable position eligibility situation, ever ... unless Jameis goes down. spacer.png

Edited by jujus-jujubees
  • Like 1
Just now, fantasymad said:

Think I read he is 2nd highest paid backup QB. As a 3rd stringer lol. That's a waste of money in my opinion.

Hopefully they just unleash Tysom and I can rack up 23 points a week out of my TE ROS.

• Haha 1