NBC Sports Edge Forums

Emmanuel Sanders 2020 Outlook

I get it that the WR2 spot in NO has been mostly a dead zone for fantasy purposes recently but Sanders is a talented veteran that still has some juice, as evidenced by last year.  He's also another year removed from his 2018 late season Achilles tear.  He will likely have some dud weeks but I am also pretty sure that he will have some spike weeks as he feasts on weaker CB and single coverage due to MT, Kamara and Cook.  A great WR4 for fantasy that I'm betting ends up starting on a lot of teams.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Someone get this guy a drink. 

MT targets were so high that it is pretty unlikely to work that way again, also Ginn is not on the team. Sanders is the best #2 they have had in NOLA in some time. He showed an unbelievable amoun

Sanders is starting to get to the point where age scares me a bit, but coming off a 17 game season and playing through injury also highlights that he's still got it left.   I think he's gonn

I think we get about 700-800 and 4-6 from Sanders this year. Might even be optimistic, but MT and Kamara are clear competition, while I would put Sanders #3 behind those guys.  Brees should still be good for 3500-4000 yards at least.

Sanders reputation goes without saying but you gotta wonder how many targets are up for grabs.

Brees: 34 attempts per game

Thomas: 11.5 targets per game

Kamara + Murray: 8.75 targets per game

Cook: 4.6 targets per game

Ginn: 3.5 targets per game

Other receivers: 6 targets per game

What's the best case? Brees maintains his current passing volume, Sanders takes on most of the ~9 targets that Ginn + other receivers got last year? Would that translate to WR2 value for him?

Edited by sSektor
56 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Sanders reputation goes without saying but you gotta wonder how many targets are up for grabs.

Brees: 34 attempts per game

Thomas: 11.5 targets per game

Kamara + Murray: 8.75 targets per game

Cook: 4.6 targets per game

Ginn: 3.5 targets per game

Other receivers: 6 targets per game

What's the best case? Brees maintains his current passing volume, Sanders takes on most of the ~9 targets that Ginn + other receivers got last year? Would that translate to WR2 value for him?

Depends on what we mean by "most of the 9" because 1 or 2 a game can make a huge difference in his overall line.

For example, last time he had 141 targets (8.81/game) he had 1400 yards receiving and 9 TDs.

Then again the last couple years he's been averaging about 6 per game and had 868 and 869 yards respectively.

So the difference between 6 or 8 targets is probably what him rosterable or not.

1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Depends on what we mean by "most of the 9" because 1 or 2 a game can make a huge difference in his overall line.

For example, last time he had 141 targets (8.81/game) he had 1400 yards receiving and 9 TDs.

Then again the last couple years he's been averaging about 6 per game and had 868 and 869 yards respectively.

So the difference between 6 or 8 targets is probably what him rosterable or not.

I don't think he's going to put a big dent in MT's volume if any and the RB/TE targets are probably going to remain the same. Ginn is still on the team but Sanders is obviously much, much better than him and TreQuan/whoever else. I'm expecting like an average of 6 targets which, going off of Sanders previous propensity for the big play, is more than enough for him to be a sneaky WR2. It should be much easier going deep for him with MT and Kamara keeping the defenses honest.

Edited by sSektor
Just now, sSektor said:

I don't think he's going to put a big dent in MT's volume if any and the RB/TE targets are probably going to remain the same. Ginn is still on the team but Sanders is obviously much, much better than him and TreQuan/whoever else. I'm expecting like an average of 6 targets which, going off of Sanders previous propensity for the big play, is more than enough for him to be a sneaky WR2. It should be much easier going with MT and Kamara keeping the defenses from selling out to stop his deep routes.

Could be.  My only question about that is the Saints typically have a short passing game, and Sanders isn't typically a YAC monster.  Although of course more diverted defensive attention to Thomas and Kamara could enable more to that part of his game.

43 minutes ago, sSektor said:

I don't think he's going to put a big dent in MT's volume if any and the RB/TE targets are probably going to remain the same. Ginn is still on the team but Sanders is obviously much, much better than him and TreQuan/whoever else. I'm expecting like an average of 6 targets which, going off of Sanders previous propensity for the big play, is more than enough for him to be a sneaky WR2. It should be much easier going deep for him with MT and Kamara keeping the defenses honest.

MT targets were so high that it is pretty unlikely to work that way again, also Ginn is not on the team.

Sanders is the best #2 they have had in NOLA in some time. He showed an unbelievable amount of juice last year coming back quite early from the Achilles rupture. He played in a record 17 regular season games (despite tearing rib cartilage right after getting to SF) and then another 3 playoff games. He can still win deep, but is an absolute tactician in how he runs routes and gets outta breaks--which fits incredibly well with the accuracy Brees shows in the intermediate passing game. Manny hasn't had this level of QB'ing in some time. With MT seeing alpha CB's and safties rolling his way consistently, Sanders is going to be put in a ton of smash spots this year.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Emmanuel Sanders playing opposite Michael Thomas AND catching passes from Drew Brees....?

x___________✒️

Prediction: 75/900-1000/6-7 TDs <---- (room for more)

....his 121st ADP, 11th Round Price-Tag is one of the deals of the draft.

**FUN FACT**

Last Time playing in the SuperDome...

Dec 8, 2019: 7-157-1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saints fan here. I think he has pretty good value at where he is being selected. 

I think he will have close to a 75-900-3 type season. I think TDs will be tough to come by. The redzone space will absolutely be dominated by Thomas, Kamara, Cook, and Taysom. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Tenner said:

Saints fan here. I think he has pretty good value at where he is being selected. 

I think he will have close to a 75-900-3 type season. I think TDs will be tough to come by. The redzone space will absolutely be dominated by Thomas, Kamara, Cook, and Taysom. 

I have him. He was at a good spot when I drafted him and if something happens to MT (knock on wood, since he's never missed a game) I would have somebody who could fill in somewhat.

Been a long time since Brees has had a competent WR alongside Michael Thomas. Last time this happened was a few years ago with Brandin Cooks and both Cooks and MT were 1k receivers.

kamara will still catch balls and MT is still the top dog but sanders is not washed. He was hampered by horrible QB play in Denver and then a complete run run run system in San Francisco.

I think this is a beautiful rebound scenario for sanders and the price is not expensive. Could be WR3 with even as high as WR2 upside after pick 100 right now. He’s being drafted like a WR4/5.

This is an area of the draft where a lot of people are throwing darts, could be an excellent opportunity to just take a solid depth piece who could very easily be in your starting lineup and has nice upside too in a GOOD passing offense!

Edited by fawkes_mulder
3 minutes ago, Jay85 said:

Week 1 I think it will be wait and watch from bench until they form connections. 

I'm expecting immediate fireworks in the Super Dome.

7-70+...and a Touch

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, brosephd said:

i think he'll get the occasional long bomb td stat lines, but what do you guys think of week to week consistency/targets? more boom or bust play or WR3/flex consistency

I think closer to 2014-2016 than 2017-2019, now that he has a hall of fame QB again.

• Like 1