NBC Sports Edge Forums

Aaron Rodgers 2020 Outlook

So...how does this play out? GB obviously knew Rodgers would be upset when instead of drafting a WR (again) they opted for a QB of all things. An odd strategy, particularly since trading Rodgers seems almost impossible at this time.

So, what kind of QB will an upset Aaron Rodgers be? Will the drafting of his replacement motivate him to play at the top of his game? Will he fall victim to a run heavy scheme, or will he simply audible at will and throw as much as he sees fit? 

Or, will Rodgers sulk all season, and play poorly? Could he actually make things so difficult that it results in his benching? Or could he figure out a way to shoot his way out of town despite the uphill trade scenario, and be a star on another team? 

Edited by Lamont Sanford
  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You need to stop doing this. You don't make yourself look bigger by trying to look down on people.

The real MVP

Posted Images

I have to admit, Rodgers needed to be put in his place.  I am betting that he sulks, plays poorly on purpose, gets benched and then the fans turn on him and demand a trade.   The Management gets rid of him and his attitude next year.

The Packers are moving on.   Avoid this team and all its players.

QB controversies are NEVER good for fantasy numbers.

Edited by Sivaro
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Sivaro said:

I have to admit, Rodgers needed to be put in his place.  I am betting that he sulks, plays poorly on purpose, gets benched and then the fans turn on him and demand a trade.   The Management gets rid of him and his attitude next year.

The Packers are moving on.   Avoid this team and all its players.

QB controversies are NEVER good for fantasy numbers.

Hope my league takes your advice and Adams slips to me

6 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

So...how does this play out? GB obviously knew Rodgers would be upset when instead of drafting a WR (again) they opted for a QB of all things. An odd strategy, particularly since trading Rodgers seems almost impossible at this time.

So, what kind of QB will an upset Aaron Rodgers be? Will the drafting of his replacement motivate him to play at the top of his game? Will he fall victim to a run heavy scheme, or will he simply audible at will and throw as much as he sees fit? 

Or, will Rodgers sulk all season, and play poorly? Could he actually make things so difficult that it results in his benching? Or could he figure out a way to shoot his way out of town despite the uphill trade scenario, and be a star on another team? 

I don’t see much of anything changing this season, to be honest.  And the way Gutekunst/LaFleur drafted - they shouldn’t, either.

• Like 1

He hasn't been a No-brainer QB1 for 2 years now. He's only had five games of three or more touchdowns and only eight games of 300+ passing yards during that span. Things aren't looking any brighter this year. 

Edited by P@ckersFan
  • Like 3

I agree that there isn’t much reason to expect huge fantasy numbers from Rodgers this year, with one caveat...Drafting Jordan Love just might motivate Rodgers to be laser focused on proving he’s still the man. NE drafting Jimmy G certainly seemed to light a fire under Brady. Spiting LaFluer could be just the motivation Rodgers needs to bring out his best.

Edited by Lamont Sanford
2 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I agree that there isn’t much reason to expect huge fantasy numbers from Rodgers this year, with one caveat...Drafting Jordan Love just might motivate Rodgers to be laser focused on proving he’s still the man. NE drafting Jimmy G certainly seemed to light a fire under Brady. Spiting LaFluer could be just the motivation Rodgers needs to bring out his best.

Rodgers can have all the motivation in the world, but with that team around him, and especially lack of offensive weapons, it wont come to a whole log.

Not saying he isnt a big baby, but the team clearly isnt trying to get him what he needs.

0% chance they sniff the playoffs without him

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

this is the outlook i'm expecting. an angry rodgers is a focused rodgers. and in some bizzarro universe way, he is auditioning for his next job (broncos?), despite the financial and legal ins-and-outs of his contract.

but the problem remains: the "talent" surrounding rodgers is limited, and while adams might be a #1 WR, the refuse piles high with MVS, funchess, kumerow, lazard, st. brown, marcades lewis, and sterberger. we've seen some exceptional receptions from all of these guys (though sternberger at the college level), but none of them have demonstrated solidity or consistency. 

can any of these guys rise? or, maybe better said: can rodgers raise the level of any of these receivers? 

poor rodgers... and poor us that we are denied seeing what rodgers can do with a aerial-centric coach and talented receivers. we might see drama in green bay, however it takes two to tango and lafleur wants to dance. my two cents.

9 hours ago, P@ckersFan said:

He hasn't been a No-brainer QB1 for 2 years now. He's only had five games of three or more touchdowns and only eight games of 300+ passing yards during that span. Things aren't looking any brighter this year. 

so true... yet, in dynasty i'm looking to "buy" rodgers at the all-time low price. in redraft, i'm staying away, but having rodgers as my backup in dynasty with the hopes of a coaching change (or mentality of the coaching changing) or rodgers moving on, i say stash the 36-year old rodgers.

5e258f00ac7da.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

Last year, Rodgers had weeks of:

422/2 (week 4)

429/5 (Week 7)

305/3 (Week 8)

243/4 (week 13)

323/2 (Week 17)

Granted, there were plenty of stinkers as well, but the talent and ability are clearly still there. Devante Adams was out weeks 5-8, which included two of Rodgers best games. So even without his #1 WR, and left only with the lack of weapons we keep referring to, he put up great fantasy numbers in weeks 7 & 8. In fact, weeks 4-8 likely had many in this forum declaring Rodgers is still elite.

To me, this is enough to indicate that Rodgers can still be a fantasy stud with the weapons he has, and they did add a big target in Funchess who could help in the red zone, bumping Rodgers TDs up a bit. If they add a speed guy like Ross, or some other field stretcher Rodgers could definitely have a bounce back season given the extra motivation he now has.

Edited by Lamont Sanford
22 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Last year, Rodgers had weeks of:

422/2 (week 4)

429/5 (Week 7)

305/3 (Week 😎

243/4 (week 13)

323/2 (Week 17)

Granted, there were plenty of stinkers as well, but the talent and ability are clearly still there. Devante Adams was out weeks 5-8, which included two of Rodgers best games. So even without his #1 WR, and left only with the lack of weapons we keep referring to, he put up great fantasy numbers in weeks 7 & 8. In fact, weeks 4-8 likely had many in this forum declaring Rodgers is still elite.

To me, this is enough to indicate that Rodgers can still be a fantasy stud with the weapons he has, and they did add a big target in Funchess who could help in the red zone, bumping Rodgers TDs up a bit. If they add a speed guy like Ross, or some other field stretcher Rodgers could definitely have a bounce back season given the extra motivation he now has.

we've seen rodgers elevate the members of his team, and he's bound to have outstanding games when the stars align, but drafting rodgers in re-draft knowing that lafleur wants to go run-heavy? drafting rodgers in re-draft knowing that there's tension between him and lafleur? seems overly optimistic and necessitates a Plan B.

nobody knows the packers like bob mcginn, and if he's suggesting that lafleur has “simply had enough of [Aaron] Rodgers’ act”, that's a lambeau-sized red flag. https://sports.yahoo.com/bob-mcginn-suggests-matt-lafleur-190558401.html ... the proof is in the draft.

brett favre's insight adds perspective as well: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/29/brett-favre-i-think-aaron-rodgers-will-play-somewhere-else-before-he-retires/ 

gettyimages-1194127432-e1576497736346.jp

6 minutes ago, Br0kenB said:

Starting QB for the Broncos in 2021.

would love to see what rodgers could do with the broncos WRs.

but, when brady retires, i'd doubly love to see what rodgers could do with evans and godwin under arians. 

Just now, Br0kenB said:

Lock will never be able to beat Mahomes consistently.

The Chiefs of last year look like they can beat everyone consistently.

But things change. 

Point is, once we put Lock in there we went 4-1 and he looked pretty good doing it.  Small sample size, but at this point I don't see any reason why they'd hinder his development to put a 37 or 38 year old Rodgers, who has been on the decline, in for him.

4 minutes ago, Br0kenB said:

Lock will never be able to beat Mahomes consistently.

You could say that about the other 30 starting QBs too

GB is a joke. How do they not draft one single WR in this draft? Embarrassing

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, shakestreet said:
In 15 seasons, Aaron Rodgers has thrown only ONE touchdown pass to a first-round pick. It was to tight end Marcedes Lewis.

In 15 seasons, Green Bay used the following first round picks for skill players:

2005: Aaron Rodgers
2020: Jordan Love

That's it. That's the entire list.

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

In 15 seasons, Green Bay selected the following skill players in the first round:

- Aaron Rodgers (2005)
- Jordan Love (2020).

That's it. That's the entire list.

I had to go back and check.

Unbelievable.  I guess you could count Bulaga as "help."

And then when you consider that there's also been zip in the way of free agent acquisitions...I mean man.

• Like 1
Just now, sSektor said:

Rodgers ending up on the Pats in the next few years would be one of the most glorious middle fingers to the league to ever happen.

haha..i think its possible it happens sooner than later. Such a Belichick type of trade just to stick it to the league and send the messege to Brady saying...we will be ok without you still!