NBC Sports Edge Forums

Aaron Rodgers 2020 Outlook

1 hour ago, timexsocialclub said:

Maybe less a matter of malice than incompetence. They kept McCarthy WAY too long. His conservative playcalling cost them the NFC championship against your Seahawks.

SUPERBOWL champion leadership = andy reid asking mahomes, “who do you want?”

green bay packers continued managerial clusterf#%!king = GM brian gutekunst (+ mutt lafleur) choosing jordan love at 1.26 instead of

tee higgins

michael pittman jr.

laviska shenault

kj hamler

chase claypool

van jefferson

denzel mims

makes one wonder if mike mccarthy was only part of the problem...

the miami dolphins drafted an offensive lineman in the first round, and in the second round, both to help their star QB. what has the world come to when the dophins' leadership is making the packers' front office look like the jets'?

• Like 3
  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You need to stop doing this. You don't make yourself look bigger by trying to look down on people.

The real MVP

Posted Images

2 hours ago, timexsocialclub said:

Maybe less a matter of malice than incompetence. They kept McCarthy WAY too long. His conservative playcalling cost them the NFC championship against your Seahawks. Lacy was a serviceable running back but mostly because Rodgers is such a good QB teams focused on stopping him. Nelson was a very good receiver, but one has to wonder how much Rodgers elevated the play of his receivers. Would Cobb be anything worth mentioning if he played with an average QB?

Seahawks recovering an extremely lucky onside kick and the defender going down for some reason after an interception cost them the game.

Cobb had 828 yards last season in 15 games. It’s one of his better seasons and pretty impressive considering his career was spiraling down after he got hit with injuries after injuries from 2015 on. 

2 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Seahawks recovering an extremely lucky onside kick and the defender going down for some reason after an interception cost them the game.

Cobb had 828 yards last season in 15 games. It’s one of his better seasons and pretty impressive considering his career was spiraling down after he got hit with injuries after injuries from 2015 on. 

The game should have never gotten to the point where there was an opportunity for an onside kick to even matter in the first place. It was complete and total mismanagement. McCarthy kicked at least 2 field goals from the Seahawks one or two yard line. He admitted after the game he continued to run the ball in the second half because he felt if the Packers reached a certain number of running plays they'd win the game, a simple and costly plan. Ugh - enough of that. Too painful. Glad he's gone.

So I decided to take a look how much skill position help other QBs got in the last decade (2009-2019) in the first round. With the Packers having something personal against their QB and REFUSING to get him help there is no way other teams had anything similar right?

Brees - 1 (Cooks, WR, 2014)

Brady - 2 (Michel, RB, 2018: Harry, WR, 2019)

Stafford - 1 (Hockenson, TE, 2019)

Roethlisberger - 0 

Wilson (from 2012) - 1 (Penny, RB, 2018) 

Harry was the first WR the Patriots drafted in Brady's career and it took nearly 20 years and he got half a season to play with him. Stafford went pretty much a decade without the Lions drafting a skill position player and when they finally took one it was a TE. Saints drafted 1 skill position player only to trade him away after 3 seasons. 

It's almost as if teams (especially good ones) don't really spend first round picks on WRs and RBs. Just another ridiculous excuse for Rodgers making it seem as if the Packers have been refusing to get him any help for over a decade. What an absolutely absurd narrative. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

So I decided to take a look how much skill position help other QBs got in the last decade (2009-2019) in the first round. With the Packers having something personal against their QB and REFUSING to get him help there is no way other teams had anything similar right?

Roethlisberger - 0 

Harry was the first WR the Patriots drafted in Brady's career and it took nearly 20 years and he got half a season to play with him. Stafford went pretty much a decade without the Lions drafting a skill position player and when they finally took one it was a TE. Saints drafted 1 skill position player only to trade him away after 3 seasons. 

It's almost as if teams (especially good ones) don't really spend first round picks on WRs and RBs. Just another ridiculous excuse for Rodgers making it seem as if the Packers have been refusing to get him any help for over a decade. What an absolutely absurd narrative. 

Rodgers is another player you like to s#*t on 

Edited by shakestreet
1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

Rodgers is another player you like to s#*t on.

I haven’t said anything about Rodgers until after the draft people started acting like he’s some victim. I’m defending the organization as much as shitting on Rodgers.

As for your boy Brady, I’ve said he’s the GOAT but he’s clearly not that good anymore.

I suppose both have the one thing in common where everyone has been getting the blame but the QB. 

9 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I haven’t said anything about Rodgers until after the draft people started acting like he’s some victim. I’m defending the organization as much as shitting on Rodgers.

As for your boy Brady, I’ve said he’s the GOAT but he’s clearly not that good anymore.

I suppose both have the one thing in common where everyone has been getting the blame but the QB. 

I will agree Aaron has had some great weapons on the offensive side of the ball. Nobody should be whining about never having any  #1 WR draft picks. But they do. lol

I agree Tom has not been very good stat wise in fantasy but damnit in the NFL it is about WINS and Tom has been the best. I have no idea why anybody can’t see that and don’t want to admit his greatness afterall his team has won 2 out of the last 4 Super Bowls and has been in 3 out of the last 4 Super Bowls. Greatness 

5 hours ago, shakestreet said:

I will agree Aaron has had some great weapons on the offensive side of the ball. Nobody should be whining about never having any  #1 WR draft picks. But they do. lol

I agree Tom has not been very good stat wise in fantasy but damnit in the NFL it is about WINS and Tom has been the best. I have no idea why anybody can’t see that and don’t want to admit his greatness afterall his team has won 2 out of the last 4 Super Bowls and has been in 3 out of the last 4 Super Bowls. Greatness 

I don't know when it was but I started equating Brady to Montana probably 5-6 years in, and that turned out to be an apt comparison imo. They are both accurate, mistake-free and take what the defense gives. That's winning football. Brady in his peak years (Moss years) had a stronger arm I believe.

I've seen some legendary moments from Rodgers that neither Brady nor Montana could physically do. 

My answer to why Rodgers hasn't had more success is simple: Brady and Montana cared more about winning - whatever it took. They accepted a "role" in the process of manufacturing multiple trophies.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Rodgers lived it and has the t shirt to prove it. People are making too much of this.

My point all along is that it is Rodgers himself making too much of this. As far as Fantasy Football goes he's really not that much of a catch these days. I won't be taking him as a #1 QB, which means I won't be drafting him.. He cares more about extraneous issues than winning. My point all along. 

Edited by SuperJoint
3 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

I don't know when it was but I started equating Brady to Montana probably 5-6 years in, and that turned out to be an apt comparison imo. They are both accurate, mistake-free and take what the defense gives. That's winning football. Brady in his peak years (Moss years) had a stronger arm I believe.

I've seen some legendary moments from Rodgers that neither Brady nor Montana could physically do. 

My answer to why Rodgers hasn't had more success is simple: Brady and Montana cared more about winning - whatever it took. They accepted a "role" in the process of manufacturing multiple trophies.

In team sports accepting your role is great but you also need a very good coach to do it.

So it’s like a paradox. If a player always has problems with the coach is the player selfish and a bad teammate or is the coach a bad coach?

Rodgers got a new coach and after one season there’s already a bunch of reports that they don’t get along. Former players came out and said he has an inflated ego. Yeah, I doubt it’s the bad coaching. In 2007 they went 13-3 with McCarthy and a washed up Favre. He doesn’t seem like a horrible coach...

17 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Roethlisberger - 0 

By focusing on 1st round guys, you're completely ignoring free agents and early 2nd rd picks.

Brees playing with Darren sproles (FA) and jimmy graham. Mike Thomas was an early 2nd rd pick.

Brady playing with Randy moss (FA) and Rob gronkowski (early 2nd). They also drafted Shane vereen (early 2nd), Aaron dobson (early 2nd).

Stafford inherited an offense with elite WR Calvin johnson, then played with Reggie bush (FA). They also drafted jahvid best (1st round), ameer abdullah (early 2nd), kerryon johnson (early 2nd).

Roethlisberger got Holmes (1st round), Mendenhall (1st round), and leveon bell (early 2nd).

Wilson inherited an offense with Marshawn lynch, doug baldwin and golden tate, and got Jimmy graham (FA).

Its fair to say that all of these teams made an honest effort to draft good offensive players every couple of years.

When they weren't drafting offensive players, they made an honest effort to sign good FAs. Moss, sproles and bush did really well. Patriots always tried signing other FAs to help brady, like ochocinco, lloyd to name a few. They didn't work out, but the effort was always there.

Let's take a look at GB's 1st, 2nd rd picks and FAs:

Rodgers inherited Greg jennings and donald driver, good but not great players who lasted about 2 years into his career.

Then you had GB drafting Jordy nelson (early 2nd), Randall cobb (early 2nd), Eddie lacy (early 2nd), Davante adams (early 2nd).

It's fair to say that between 2008-2014, the Packers made an honest effort to draft good offensive players.

But the problem arises from 2014 onwards. During this 6-season period, the best offensive player drafted by Green bay was AJ dillon, this year. Before him, Ty montgomery in the 3rd. The most notable FA acquisition was...a washed up Jimmy graham. No WRs of note in the 1st, 2nd, or FA.

So for 6 seasons, Green bay completely ignored offense and focused almost entirely on defense. NONE of the other QBs you mentioned ever went 6 seasons with such little offensive support, either through the draft or FA. With that said, I think it's a pretty accurate "narrative".

It's easy to argue that Green bay wasted 6 years of Aaron rodgers' prime. Think of those playoff games they could have won if they had slightly better offense: Atlanta, Arizona, Seattle.

Edited by predator_05
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
17 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Roethlisberger - 0 

...I feel like the Chiefs are a pretty good team?

20 hours ago, Gohawks said:

I wanted to know whether this is true, so I compare the winning percentage of each team against the number of WR/RB selected in the first round.

image.png.9499f4ee14b8db856b3ccd32bb713361.png

Left you have the teams with the highest win record in the period 2005-2015 (including the Packers), right the teams with the worst record (including the Browns). It would seem that most teams have used around 3 picks for WR/RB'; the only exceptions are the Packers, Jets and Rams, and nobody accused the Jets of being a good team.

Edited by Boudewijn

The picture changes a bit if you also include QB/TE:

image.png.2eae86055ec470e8c0937ae41fc1b29f.png

But as you can see that is mostly due to bad teams selecting QBs to try and change their fortune - the Browns tried it 4 times in the last decade and a half...

Anyway, verdict: nope. Not true.

6 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

The picture changes a bit if you also include QB/TE:

image.png.2eae86055ec470e8c0937ae41fc1b29f.png

But as you can see that is mostly due to bad teams selecting QBs to try and change their fortune - the Browns tried it 4 times in the last decade and a half...

Anyway, verdict: nope. Not true.

Nice work, as always.

I mean, the last two SB winners to have a first-round pick used theirs on RBs.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, predator_05 said:

By focusing on 1st round guys, you're completely ignoring free agents and early 2nd rd picks.

Brees playing with Darren sproles (FA) and jimmy graham. Mike Thomas was an early 2nd rd pick.

Brady playing with Randy moss (FA) and Rob gronkowski (early 2nd). They also drafted Shane vereen (early 2nd), Aaron dobson (early 2nd).

Stafford inherited an offense with elite WR Calvin johnson, then played with Reggie bush (FA). They also drafted jahvid best (1st round), ameer abdullah (early 2nd), kerryon johnson (early 2nd).

Roethlisberger got Holmes (1st round), Mendenhall (1st round), and leveon bell (early 2nd).

Wilson inherited an offense with Marshawn lynch, doug baldwin and golden tate, and got Jimmy graham (FA).

Its fair to say that all of these teams made an honest effort to draft good offensive players every couple of years.

When they weren't drafting offensive players, they made an honest effort to sign good FAs. Moss, sproles and bush did really well. Patriots always tried signing other FAs to help brady, like ochocinco, lloyd to name a few. They didn't work out, but the effort was always there.

Let's take a look at GB's 1st, 2nd rd picks and FAs:

Rodgers inherited Greg jennings and donald driver, good but not great players who lasted about 2 years into his career.

Then you had GB drafting Jordy nelson (early 2nd), Randall cobb (early 2nd), Eddie lacy (early 2nd), Davante adams (early 2nd).

It's fair to say that between 2008-2014, the Packers made an honest effort to draft good offensive players.

But the problem arises from 2014 onwards. During this 6-season period, the best offensive player drafted by Green bay was AJ dillon, this year. Before him, Ty montgomery in the 3rd. The most notable FA acquisition was...a washed up Jimmy graham. No WRs of note in the 1st, 2nd, or FA.

So for 6 seasons, Green bay completely ignored offense and focused almost entirely on defense. NONE of the other QBs you mentioned ever went 6 seasons with such little offensive support, either through the draft or FA. With that said, I think it's a pretty accurate "narrative".

It's easy to argue that Green bay wasted 6 years of Aaron rodgers' prime. Think of those playoff games they could have won if they had slightly better offense: Atlanta, Arizona, Seattle.

I’m not the one that focused on first round picks. The media focused on first round picks to build a narrative.

Why would Green Bay spend a high pick on a skill position player when they had Lacey at RB along with Nelson and Cobb at WR with Adams coming into his own? Were they supposed to predict that Lacey would start to suck or Nelson and Cobb would be hit by injuries? Spending an early round pick on WR would be absurd when they were loaded at the position but had a struggling defense.

They didn’t ignore offensive support. They were one of the most loaded offenses in the NFL. Especially at WR. Why would they draft a skill position player in 2015 when they had a 1000 yard rusher, 2 1000 yard receivers, and a promising rookie WR the previous season? 

32 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I’m not the one that focused on first round picks. The media focused on first round picks to build a narrative.

Why would Green Bay spend a high pick on a skill position player when they had Lacey at RB along with Nelson and Cobb at WR with Adams coming into his own? Spending an early round pick on WR would be absurd when they were loaded at the position but had a struggling defense.

They didn’t ignore offensive support. They were one of the most loaded offenses in the NFL. Especially at WR. Why would they draft a skill position player in 2015 when they had a 1000 yard rusher, 2 1000 yard receivers, and a promising rookie WR the previous season? 

I think you answered your own question: Were they supposed to predict that Lacey would start to suck or Nelson and Cobb would be hit by injuries?

Well, yeah...that's kind of what GMs do when they draft. Plan for the future, and predict worst-case scenarios. You can't take anything for granted in the NFL.

I know it's easy for me to be critical with the benefit of hindsight, but GB clearly failed to rebuild the offense after many of those offensive players burned out. That's the period i'm referring to. 6 seasons is a long time.

I get it, defense was a huge need. But they allowed the offense to stagnate. The other QBs you listed had their ups and downs, but their front offices did a better job of planning for the future. Rodgers is **** out of luck.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, predator_05 said:

I think you answered your own question: Were they supposed to predict that Lacey would start to suck or Nelson and Cobb would be hit by injuries?

Well, yeah...that's kind of what GMs do when they draft. Plan for the future, and predict worst-case scenarios. You can't take anything for granted in the NFL.

I know it's easy for me to be critical with the benefit of hindsight, but GB clearly failed to rebuild the offense after many of those offensive players burned out. That's the period i'm referring to. 6 seasons is a long time.

I get it, defense was a huge need. But they allowed the offense to stagnate. The other QBs you listed had their ups and downs, but their front offices did a better job of planning for the future. Rodgers is **** out of luck.

So let me follow your logic here.

Your team has TWO pro bowl WRs AND a pro bowl RB. Despite this, you already spent a second round pick on a WR that showed promise. Now you want to draft even more WRs instead of addressing your middle of the pack defense? What on earth kind of logic is that.

Furthermore, following your logic taking Love is 100% the right decision. "Plan for the future, and predict worst-case scenarios." Well, they are planning for the future and taking Love is planning for the worst case where Rodgers gets injured or wants a new team. So they did exactly what you state you wanted them to do. You're right it is easy for you to be critical with hindsight because this is some of the most blatant hindsight i've seen.

2016 they had pretty much two 1,000 yard receivers in Adams and Nelson. They also had a very good third option in Cobb. So going into the draft they had no reason to take a WR in the first round. In fact, WR wasn't even seen as one of their needs going into 2017. The defense was regarded as needing help by almost every single analyst and website. They needed secondary help and defensive line help. Not only that, they didn't have a first round pick. 

In 2017 it became clear that Nelson wasn't it anymore and Cobb was starting to fall off as well. So going into the 2018 draft you can now start to argue for WR. However, they did address it by getting what was viewed as one of the best pass catching TEs in the NFL. Now, i'm expecting some more hindsight here but at the time Graham was viewed as another good weapon. At this time, the defense was still more of a pressing issue and Alexander was a very good pick at 17 as he is already one of the best young corners at a position the Packers really needed help at. The narrative was still mostly that Rodgers wasn't getting enough help on defense and they did a nice job addressing it. Again, going into the 2018 WR wasn't viewed too much as a need. This is just one article stating their needs: https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/19/packers-have-important-picks-to-make-in-2018-draft/ No mention of WRs. At all. Mostly focused on getting help on defense like i've mentioned in this thread numerous times. You can go look up any other predraft needs article. Almost none of them have WR as a need.

So last years draft was really the first time it became obvious they needed help with Adams being their only reliable pass catcher. Sure they could've taken Brown with one of their first two picks or DK with their second pick (although they used that pick on a center which still helps Rodgers). However, 6 years? Give me a break. They ignored the position for 1-2 seasons not including this one. Even in 2018 alone they spent a 4th, 5th, and 6th on the position which I wouldn't consider fully ignoring it either. 

Edited by Gohawks
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Gohawks said:

So let me follow your logic here.

Your team has TWO pro bowl WRs AND a pro bowl RB. Despite this, you already spent a second round pick on a WR that showed promise. Now you want to draft even more WRs instead of addressing your middle of the pack defense? What on earth kind of logic is that.

Furthermore, following your logic taking Love is 100% the right decision. "Plan for the future, and predict worst-case scenarios." Well, they are planning for the future and taking Love is planning for the worst case where Rodgers gets injured or wants a new team. So they did exactly what you state you wanted them to do. You're right it is easy for you to be critical with hindsight because this is some of the most blatant hindsight i've seen.

2016 they had pretty much two 1,000 yard receivers in Adams and Nelson. They also had a very good third option in Cobb. So going into the draft they had no reason to take a WR in the first round. In fact, WR wasn't even seen as one of their needs going into 2017. The defense was regarded as needing help by almost every single analyst and website. They needed secondary help and defensive line help. Not only that, they didn't have a first round pick. 

In 2017 it became clear that Nelson wasn't it anymore and Cobb was starting to fall off as well. So going into the 2018 draft you can now start to argue for WR. However, they did address it by getting what was viewed as one of the best pass catching TEs in the NFL. Now, i'm expecting some more hindsight here but at the time Graham was viewed as another good weapon. At this time, the defense was still more of a pressing issue and Alexander was a very good pick at 17 as he is already one of the best young corners at a position the Packers really needed help at. The narrative was still mostly that Rodgers wasn't getting enough help on defense and they did a nice job addressing it. Again, going into the 2018 WR wasn't viewed too much as a need. This is just one article stating their needs: https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/19/packers-have-important-picks-to-make-in-2018-draft/ No mention of WRs. At all. Mostly focused on getting help on defense like i've mentioned in this thread numerous times. You can go look up any other predraft needs article. Almost none of them have WR as a need.

So last years draft was really the first time it became obvious they needed help with Adams being their only reliable pass catcher. Sure they could've taken Brown with one of their first two picks or DK with their second pick (although they used that pick on a center which still helps Rodgers). However, 6 years? Give me a break. They ignored the position for 1-2 seasons not including this one. Even in 2018 alone they spent a 4th, 5th, and 6th on the position which I wouldn't consider fully ignoring it either. 

Going to the pro-bowl in one season doesn't prevent you from getting injured in the future. Cobb was famously injury-prone, having missed 2013 and Jordy had an ACL tear in 2015. Lacy's weight was always a concern, and they had no decent back-up (forcing Montgomery to play RB!!). Adams was seen as a bust until he unexpectedly had a good season in 2016, more uncertainty surrounding his future at the time. Remember the playoff game in atlanta 2017, when the whole WR group was banged up? 3 WRs played hurt, including Jordy and adams. You could put it down to bad luck, but those are the situations you try to avoid by acquiring depth.

All i'm saying is, a better front office wouldn't have completely ignored offense with those WRs and RBs showing very clear signs of burn-out. So yeah...it wouldn't have been a bad idea to go WR. There could have been more of an honest effort.

In defense of the GB front office, i accept there weren't many quality FAs available. Their options were limited there.

Again, its all hindsight analysis at this point, so mostly irrelevant. But it IS 6 years, however you look at it.

And I don't mind the Jordan love pick. I just find it odd that they would reach for him in the 1st round (WTF!!!!!) and commit to starting the season with Marquez something-something as a 2nd WR. All within a championship window.

maybe the Packers are smart enough to realize that championship "window" is actually just a mirage given how luck they were last season

Love was still a dumb pick either way

5 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Going to the pro-bowl in one season doesn't prevent you from getting injured in the future. Cobb was famously injury-prone, having missed 2013 and Jordy had an ACL tear in 2015. Lacy's weight was always a concern, and they had no decent back-up (forcing Montgomery to play RB!!). Adams was seen as a bust until he unexpectedly had a good season in 2016, more uncertainty surrounding his future at the time. Remember the playoff game in atlanta 2017, when the whole WR group was banged up? 3 WRs played hurt, including Jordy and adams. You could put it down to bad luck, but those are the situations you try to avoid by acquiring depth.

All i'm saying is, a better front office wouldn't have completely ignored offense with those WRs and RBs showing very clear signs of burn-out. So yeah...it wouldn't have been a bad idea to go WR. There could have been more of an honest effort.

In defense of the GB front office, i accept there weren't many quality FAs available. Their options were limited there.

Again, its all hindsight analysis at this point, so mostly irrelevant. But it IS 6 years, however you look at it.

And I don't mind the Jordan love pick. I just find it odd that they would reach for him in the 1st round (WTF!!!!!) and commit to starting the season with Marquez something-something as a 2nd WR. All within a championship window.

I mean, I clearly state in 2018 it was logical to start looking at WR. They took 3 WRs that year just not in the first few rounds. Their WRs in 2017 were underwhelming.

However, in the 2017 draft it was not logical to use a high pick on a WR. Nelson put up over 1,000 yards and their young guy in Adams put up 1,000. Your entire argument is that they should draft WRs because their starters could get hurt. That’s an absurdly weak argument. 

The Seahawks really screwed up last year by not drafting another RB for more depth. After Carson and Penny went down they had to sign Lynch. If only they had drafted a 3rd RB and didn’t screw Wilson...

Edited by Gohawks
3 hours ago, lolcopter said:

maybe the Packers are smart enough to realize that championship "window" is actually just a mirage given how luck they were last season

Love was still a dumb pick either way

I buy this theory. They didn't even come close to the 49ers last year- twice. They got destroyed in similar fashion both times. 49ers aren't expected to regress...so maybe they're looking at 3-5 years out. Either way, it's not the worst pick considering back-end 1st rounder are never sure things, but you might as well trade Rodgers and let him enjoy his remaining years in a pass-heavy offense.

Rodgers ultimately is a god in GB, and probably loves it that way...hence why I don't think he'd ever want to leave.

7 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Rodgers ultimately is a god in GB, and probably loves it that way...hence why I don't think he'd ever want to leave.

If mythology teaches us anything, it's that most gods are jealous and selfish bastards, and require constant sacrifices and confirmation.

FfMS.gif

We might be in for a treat :)

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Haha 1