NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Aaron Rodgers 2020 Outlook

It's not as black and white as everybody tries to make it.  Let me summarize as a lifelong Packers fan. 

When Rodgers came into being the starter and for a good chunk of the last decade, we had top level weapons around him and a good offensive line.  Driver, Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Jones, Finley.  Those guys are all studs.  

It was the playoff losses mentioned above that made us constantly draft defense in the first 2 rounds.  The game out in Arizona where we scored like 48 point and lost.  Go back and look at how many times we've been dumped out of the playoffs where the other team scores some absurd amount like 35+.  It's almost every time Rodgers has been knocked out of the playoffs his defense has given up some sort of record.  Yet I think outside of the Philly Super Bowl I can't think of a single time that happened to Brady.  Yes Brady is the GOAT but he always had good defenses.  The one time Rodgers had an impactful defense...we won the Super Bowl.

The problem with turning around and using those draft picks on all defense is they have frequently been terrible bust picks.  If they had all hit, we'd have a top level defense now.  But they almost all missed and that allowed the offense to simultaneously fall into apathy.  

I love Aaron Rodgers and absolutely refute whatever GoHawks said where he cares bout extraneous stats more than winning.  That's the dumbest **** you've ever posted.  The man is a competitor.  Hopefully we're at the point where a balanced offense and decent defense can extend his career, keeping him upright and healthy.  

Edited by Mustangt125

2 hours ago, Mustangt125 said:

I think the disdain comes from him being arguably the most media coddled QB we've seen. He's hasn't done anything major going on about 5 years now but it is literally never his fault. He publicly criticizes his coaches and teammates and the media jumps on board. The shine is obviously wearing off Rodgers now that Mahomes and Lamar are the new thing.

1 hour ago, sSektor said:

I think the disdain comes from him being arguably the most media coddled QB we've seen. He's hasn't done anything major going on about 5 years now but it is literally never his fault. He publicly criticizes his coaches and teammates and the media jumps on board. The shine is obviously wearing off Rodgers now that Mahomes and Lamar are the new thing.

That's complete nonsense.  We went to the NFC Championship game last year btw.  

Look for a source outside of Greg Jennings.  Every time one of these former players comes out and bitches about Rodgers, five fold come out and talk about how great a teammate he was and helped them a ton.  

Media coddled, my god.  The media hates him cuz he doesn't suck up to them.  Been ripped to shreds by articles about his d-bag brother since he entered the league.  

Just regurgitating old BS takes here bud. Yes Mahomes owns the league now, nobody disagreeing with that.  

Edited by Mustangt125

6 hours ago, Mustangt125 said:

I love Aaron Rodgers and absolutely refute whatever GoHawks said where he cares bout extraneous stats more than winning.  That's the dumbest **** you've ever posted.  The man is a competitor.  Hopefully we're at the point where a balanced offense and decent defense can extend his career, keeping him upright and healthy.  

Please tell me where I said what you claim I said. I said he has a big ego, doesn't get along with coaches, and is selfish. Not once did I mention him caring more about stats than winning. The dumbest **** i've ever posted is something i've never posted.

I think that Rodgers should understand this, after all, it is exactly the same scenario he lived through. If he doesn’t.. then no baggy. GB simply moves on. If he gets it he has a few good years left. I believe the world in Rodgers and his competitive nature and his arm. I don’t care for his evidently displeasure with his own family. That’s the only thing I’ve seen that makes me not like him. But on the field, he’s been an amazing QB. 

• Like 1

Sorry to GoHawks if it wasn't him, but somebody said it. 

As far as Aaron and his family, there's so much that people only speculate on.  What we do know is there were disagreements and then his brother aired family dirty laundry on national TV.  that's gonna be a no-no.

Anyway - Fantasy wise, Aaron's days at the top appear to be over.  Hopefully the offense progresses and we have some easier times moving the ball. Last year  it seemed we were either doing very well or very poorly, so some consistency will boost him back up.

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2020 at 5:14 PM, PizzaBeerFF said:

I think that Rodgers should understand this, after all, it is exactly the same scenario he lived through. If he doesn’t.. then no baggy. GB simply moves on. If he gets it he has a few good years left. I believe the world in Rodgers and his competitive nature and his arm. I don’t care for his evidently displeasure with his own family. That’s the only thing I’ve seen that makes me not like him. But on the field, he’s been an amazing QB. 

His family issue is irrelevant when it comes to football...except it’s not.

It shows inability to get along. That along with all the reports from reporters and former teammates the dude seems to have a big ego and is a major d***. Again, I couldn’t care less about it when analyzing a player for fantasy but if we are discussing Rodgers greatness it’s very relevant. A QB that gets along with coaches and inspires teammates is going to get more wins. If you want proof of that look at someone like Tebow. It’s also not a coincidence guys like Brady and Wilson never miss the playoffs despite both being inferior talents than Rodgers. Granted, Rodgers didn’t really miss the playoffs much either. 

Edited by Gohawks

On 5/6/2020 at 4:22 AM, Gohawks said:

His family issue is irrelevant when it comes to football...except it’s not.

It shows inability to get along. That along with all the reports from reporters and former teammates the dude seems to have a big ego and is a major d***. Again, I couldn’t care less about it when analyzing a player for fantasy but if we are discussing Rodgers greatness it’s very relevant. A QB that gets along with coaches and inspires teammates is going to get more wins. If you want proof of that look at someone like Tebow. It’s also not a coincidence guys like Brady and Wilson never miss the playoffs despite both being inferior talents than Rodgers. Granted, Rodgers didn’t really miss the playoffs much either. 

Your mind sounds made up but I think you should research opinions from his former teammates and coaches outside of a select vocal few, like Greg Jennings.  

Also, bruh, what you doing on the fantasy football forums in May at 430 AM!

4 hours ago, Mustangt125 said:

Your mind sounds made up but I think you should research opinions from his former teammates and coaches outside of a select vocal few, like Greg Jennings.  

What other great QBs have had ex-teammates call out their character though? Only one I can think of is Big Ben although he is a bit of an extreme example because he regularly criticizes teammates on his radio show.

4 hours ago, Mustangt125 said:

Also, bruh, what you doing on the fantasy football forums in May at 430 AM!

Finley called him self centered, Gbaja-Biamila called him arrogant, and Jennings has criticized him multiple times. and there are multiple other reports talking about how Rodgers has not handled relationships that well.

8 minutes ago, sSektor said:

What other great QBs have had ex-teammates call out their character though? Only one I can think of is Big Ben although he is a bit of an extreme example because he regularly criticizes teammates on his radio show.

Pretty much this. Obviously you are going to have teammates that like Rodgers. If no one at all likes you then you probably won't make it far no matter the talent. However, when there are multiple guys that say pretty much the same thing it's not just a coincidence. 

I always used to defend him because I know many people with toxic families, and you can find cases like NHL player Jack Johnson where it goes even beyond that with pro athletes.  Then i read this tale:  

7 hours ago, BrianM said:

I always used to defend him because I know many people with toxic families, and you can find cases like NHL player Jack Johnson where it goes even beyond that with pro athletes.  Then i read this tale:  

Yeah, but there seems to be very little in the way of supporting evidence. It's not even clear that he would have had security back in 2009. I can also think of some different explanations for this. If this happened as per what she writes, did he actually know what's going on?

Anyway. I hope for him (and as a football fan in general) all this pisses him off enough to sets the league on fire and get to another play-off. It would certainly ement his legacy.
(I'll probably see that from the sideline and not with him in my teams. That's a thing of the past for me.)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Finley called him self centered, Gbaja-Biamila called him arrogant, and Jennings has criticized him multiple times. and there are multiple other reports talking about how Rodgers has not handled relationships that well.

Pretty much this. Obviously you are going to have teammates that like Rodgers. If no one at all likes you then you probably won't make it far no matter the talent. However, when there are multiple guys that say pretty much the same thing it's not just a coincidence. 

All great QBs are arrogant to a point.  Jennings and Finley are well documented.  Rodgers made Jennings and he was a nobody after foolishly leaving Green Bay.  They're both well documented as butt hurt.  

Jordy and Cobb sure didn't have a problem with the GOAT throwing darts to them.  Driver loves him.  James Jones wants to have his children.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mustangt125 said:

All great QBs are arrogant to a point.  Jennings and Finley are well documented.  Rodgers made Jennings and he was a nobody after foolishly leaving Green Bay.  They're both well documented as butt hurt.  

Jordy and Cobb sure didn't have a problem with the GOAT throwing darts to them.  Driver loves him.  James Jones wants to have his children.  

Yes. Look at how arrogant Brady, Brees, Wilson, Mahomes, and whoever else are. There’s a difference between confident and arrogant.

Driver in his own quote said he told Rodgers to not forget where he came from because he didn’t put himself on the pedestal. So even a guy you claim loves him admits that Rodgers has an ego problem. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2020/may/15/aaron-rodgers-jordan-love-surprise

“There are some new factors that are out of my control,” Rodgers said. “My sincere desire to start and finish with the same organization, just as it has with many other players over the years, may not be a reality at this point. As much as I understand the organization’s future outlook and wanting to make sure they’re thinking about the team now and down the line, and I respect that, at the same time I still believe in myself and have a strong desire to play into my 40s. I’m just not sure how that all works together at this point.”

(...)

Rodgers says he’s always had good relationships with his backup quarterbacks and expects a similar dynamic with Love. He said he’s had “some great conversations” with Love and noted they have something in common as players who weren’t heavily recruited out of high school.

• 2 months later...

This guy has never been super elite without Jordy Nelson. Many of us are years behind in figuring this out. 

Rodgers started off as very good when he got his chance to start in 2008, but didn’t explode until Jordy emerged in 2010, fell off in 2015 when Jordy was out, and hasn’t come close to being a top-3 QB since Jordy’s last elite season in 2016. 

He’s a low-end QB1 and has always been whenever Nelson hasn’t been his elite WR1.

2 hours ago, joshua18 said:

This guy has never been super elite without Jordy Nelson. Many of us are years behind in figuring this out. 

Rodgers started off as very good when he got his chance to start in 2008, but didn’t explode until Jordy emerged in 2010, fell off in 2015 when Jordy was out, and hasn’t come close to being a top-3 QB since Jordy’s last elite season in 2016. 

He’s a low-end QB1 and has always been whenever Nelson hasn’t been his elite WR1.

🙄

This is Monday morning quarterbacking at it's finest.

In 2016, Rodgers scored 383 fantasy points and was the QB1.

In 2017, he was hurt early in week 6 and returned only for 1 more game. In the 6 games he actually played, he averaged 22.5 fantasy points per game - on pace to score 360 fantasy points and again finish as the QB1.

Ironically, in 2017, all of Jordy Nelson's 6 TDs occurred in his first 4 games with Rodgers under center. Jordy didn't score again in the following 9 games without Rodgers. Maybe it was Jordy that needed Rodgers and not the other way around? 🤷‍♂️

Nevertheless, saying Rodgers "hasn't come close to being a top-3 QB since Jordy's last elite season in 2016", when in fact he was on pace for a QB1 finish in 2017, is wrong.

I love being told how many "years behind" we all are though. 😊

Edited by MrCantaloupe