NBC Sports Edge Forums

5 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Broncos LB Mark Barron (hamstring) missed the last two days of practice.

The Broncos just signed Barron last month. He has an extra day to get ready with Denver playing Monday night but looks on the wrong side of questionable. One of Denver’s better cover linebackers, Barron's absence would be an upgrade to TE Jonnu Smith’s matchup.

Which denver LBer will cover Jonnu? Josey Jewell?

Calitro maybe?

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When Jonnu sees Firsker ball out.

Love the talent of Jonnu Smith - unsure of the opportunity. Dude is a freak athlete - 93rd percentile SPARQ score, 100th percentile breakout age, 92nd percentile college dominator rating.  So the

I'm here to say that I started this forum and I hope you all listened. Congrats if you did.

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

The Broncos faced the seventh-most targets to tight ends last year but allowed the 21st-most fantasy points. That highlights the efficiency they had. That's a problem for someone like Smith, who hasn't seen much volume in this offense. Despite Delanie Walker missing over half the season, Smith saw more than five targets just twice all year. He was highly efficient with those targets, averaging 10.0 yards per target. Are there more targets to go around in this offense this year? Teams averaged just 33.6 pass attempts per game, and a large part of that is due to their games averaging just 122.3 plays per game, which was the third-lowest mark in the league. The Titans also ranked in the bottom 12 for total plays per game, and it's why you're seeing the game total as low as it is. Because of the projected low-scoring/low-volume affair between these two, I'd prefer to hold off on Smith as a streamer. He's a TE2 this week. An analysis as to why he might not be so high this week.

I see what you are getting at, just seems that this DEN D is in a much different (and likely worse) spot. The very solid Todd Davis- ILB/Mike is gone, no more Von and Chubb on a pitch count. They were middle of the road last year, but they would be lucky to be any better now. Also as Cleats said, Barron looks iffy too. It is a smash spot imo.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I see what you are getting at, just seems that this DEN D is in a much different (and likely worse) spot. The very solid Todd Davis- ILB/Mike is gone, no more Von and Chubb on a pitch count. They were middle of the road last year, but they would be lucky to be any better now. Also as Cleats said, Barron looks iffy too. It is a smash spot imo.

Oh yeah for sure things have changed! I was just throwing some info out there! :) 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Which denver LBer will cover Jonnu? Josey Jewell?

From a Denver fan who owns Smith... I don't think it will matter. I've had him slotted into a flex spot since the draft.

Denver hasn't been able to satisfactorily shut down any one really good tight end that I can recall in a long time, but I have intentionally forgotten every game involving Flacco and might have overlooked some successful turnaround in that department with Fangio last year. I wouldn't be surprised: his ability to make something out of nothing on the defensive side has become as important as Shurmer's role with the offense, imo.  

I could see Smith mostly getting attention from Justin Simmons, but it's hard to know exactly what will happen without preseason. I haven't paid hardly any attention to football until last week. 

Edited by Macgregor
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

1 post since July 29th...How can folks not be excited that this force is finally going to be a focal point?!

I find it borderline nuts that various expert rankers (ahem, Rotopat etc) put him at 20th for this week, or worse. Maybe I am way off base, but this is a good offense. An all-world RB and top flight young #1 WR, with a very solid QB that was elite on the play action last year...Jonnu is the #2 receiving option and the coordinator knows how to scheme him looks.

Not to mention the work he got in with Tannehill while they were both quarantined in Florida earlier this year.

I'm on the train. Had to drop my boy Scotty Miller in one league for him, for whatever reason he was on the waiver wire.

What we expecting Monday? 40? 50 burger?

Edited by CABLE87

Been eyeing him all offseason, love the athleticism and the talent. Just not sure if he’ll get enough targets in this offense. 

Debating between him and Goedert for Week 1.

Denver defense sounds scary on paper, but appreciate the insight here on what that really means as far as TE coverage. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, UVA_Drew said:

Denver defense sounds scary on paper, but appreciate the insight here on what that really means as far as TE coverage. 

I've since reviewed some numbers that put Denver in the top-10 against TE last year across a variety of metrics, most notably the redzone. I guess I believe it, because they really did some good work with a patchwork secondary and Simmons took a step forwards, but... Denver still really doesn't have ANYBODY other than Simmons who is really equipped to match up with athletic tight ends. It's a hole they've been trying to fill forever, and the rookie linebacker I think they had high hopes for in that department, Justin Strnad, is injured.

As far back as I can remember off the top of my head, this team has struggled to lock down TEs. Only really during that 2015 season did it work, thanks to the rush and secondary talent (Talib is still underrated). Every other time they've needed to contain or stop a premiere TE, the guy goes off as if they'd never seen tape of him.

I just don't think they have the talent. Jewell is heady and puts himself in the right places but is so limited in space athletically that he's merely cleanup. They have a few prospects in the middle but those with the ability are too new to the position/scheme. Perhaps if the corners can improve beyond last season, the safeties, who are the strength of the defense, could help a little more. 

Smith caught my eye last year and I rode him down the stretch. What he lacked in opportunity he more than made up for in efficiency, which is usually a great sign. His chances and role are only growing this season, and with everyone focused on Henry he should be able to rack up some YAC shaking defensive backs after the catch. 

Edited by Macgregor
  • Like 2
24 minutes ago, Macgregor said:

I've since reviewed some numbers that put Denver in the top-10 against TE last year across a variety of metrics, most notably the redzone. I guess I believe it, because they really did some good work with a patchwork secondary and Simmons took a step forwards, but... Denver still really doesn't have ANYBODY other than Simmons who is really equipped to match up with athletic tight ends. It's a hole they've been trying to fill forever, and the rookie linebacker I think they had high hopes for in that department, Justin Strnad, is injured.

As far back as I can remember off the top of my head, this team has struggled to lock down TEs. Only really during that 2015 season did it work, thanks to the rush and secondary talent (Talib is still underrated). Every other time they've needed to contain or stop a premiere TE, the guy goes off as if they'd never seen tape of him.

I just don't think they have the talent. Jewell is heady and puts himself in the right places but is so limited in space athletically that he's merely cleanup. They have a few prospects in the middle but those with the ability are too new to the position/scheme. Perhaps if the corners can improve beyond last season, the safeties, who are the strength of the defense, could help a little more. 

Smith caught my eye last year and I rode him down the stretch. What he lacked in opportunity he more than made up for in efficiency, which is usually a great sign. His chances and role are only growing this season, and with everyone focused on Henry he should be able to rack up some YAC shaking defensive backs after the catch. 

Tell me more

But yes i agree. Defending TE has definitely been a weak point for Denver for awhile. Nice breakdown

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Macgregor said:

Smith caught my eye last year and I rode him down the stretch

1 hour ago, trolltoll said:

Tell me more

LMFAO !! ay man this was too funny. Seriously bro I couldn't stop laughing  😂

TrollToll A+++ 

• Haha 2
19 minutes ago, Macgregor said:

The trap of jokes like that is if I complain about how generic and uncreative they are, those who've already enjoyed the hilarity of homosexual thoughts will consider it a victory of some sort. I don't get it.

Since you asked, though, here is more or less what I was referring to above: https://tinyurl.com/y5vt96z6

spacer.png

Just some light hearted fun mate, no ill intent behind it. 

And this is some solid stuff on Jonnu, I personally have no shares.

But the man is a lock for a breakout campaign. 

Edited by RunCMC
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, cheezor42 said:

Guys I’m in...he’s on waivers and I’m going for it...I can’t stop thinking about the upside and the stars aligning for the kid.  I think he’s their #2 option in the air this year.  Dropping Herndon for him fwiw.

Wow Herndon is aight

2 hours ago, cheezor42 said:

Guys I’m in...he’s on waivers and I’m going for it...I can’t stop thinking about the upside and the stars aligning for the kid.  I think he’s their #2 option in the air this year.  Dropping Herndon for him fwiw.

I did the same haha I really like Herndon too.

I'm struggling between who I want more between him and Fant.

For Fant, he's an athletic freak, Broncos run a less run-heavy offense with a new OC Shurmur that focuses on finding mismatches for the TEs. However there's little sample size on his connection with Lock, it doesn't look very appealing, and there's more competition for targets.

For Jonnu, he steps into the role vacated by Delanie Walker, is an athletic freak just like Fant, is extremely efficient with his touches, and has lesser competition for targets. However, the Titans run a more run-heavy offense.

Edited by Espoiral