NBC Sports Edge Forums

5 minutes ago, YoungDro said:

Wouldn't burn FAB or a waiver priority on him.  He was dreadful when Sanders was out early and Clement was sprinkled in there.  Let someone else step on that land mine

I'm bidding on him, but mostly cuz the alternatives for my team are whoever else is on the waiver wire.  Positive for Scott is Giants run d < Washington run d, also if Sanders is out the second week then he gets the Cowboys matchup.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What about the second half?

Just checked with espn.com     they're telling me it still counts

was nothing "lucky" about that TD, tbh we play for the full 60, gents - or more, if we get OT.  that was a gorgeous wheel route he ran, and an incredible catch - that's some talent there to

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, Illusion_J said:

I'm bidding on him, but mostly cuz the alternatives for my team are whoever else is on the waiver wire.  Positive for Scott is Giants run d < Washington run d, also if Sanders is out the second week then he gets the Cowboys matchup.

[...] I agree his short terms value is RB2/Flex and with injuries and byes that's valuable!

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Boston Scott really did torch the Giants twice last year.  What's crazy is that Miles Sanders played in both those games too.  Sanders had 15 carries in week 14 and 9 carries in week 17.  Jay Ajayi even had 2 carries in one of the games.  Ajayi! 

Tomorrow there's no Sanders at all (or Ajayi!).  As far as I know, the Giants aren't a totally different team than last year.  They're terrible and have no Barkley. 

Does all this make Boston Scott a must start (like top 12 RB upside)?  Depending on your options of course, I think the answer has to be yes - he's got top 12 upside.  

image.png.69a01020470210ea43b9dda5993e06f2.png

Edited by MBarbarian
  • Thanks 1

Depends on your team but of course you will want to put in a waiver claim on Scott because at most you’ll get 2 games out of him in a position that’s been dreadful this season. Also, there are a lot of teams hurting for rb’s so why give them a free opportunity to snag a starting RB. 

I'm trying to figure out the how much the NYG defense has improved since last year.  Any Giants fans have any insight?   

Only reason I care, of course, is because I want to know whether Boston Scott's two awesome games against NYG last year mean anything this year.

Here's what I know:  

Giants last year vs. this year:

• 2019: Last year their defense was ranked 28th overall (per DVOA) (30th pass defense, 7th rush).
  • 2019: Their D-Line "Power Success" ranked 9th best.  (Percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Also includes runs on first-and-goal or second-and-goal from the two-yard line or closer. Teams are ranked from lowest power success percentage allowed (#1) to highest power success percentage allowed (#32).)
  • This year NYG has a new DC and added some players.
  • They added James Bradberry, PFF's 2nd highest rated cornerback.
  • 2020: Through 6 weeks, they are DVOA's 17th ranked defense (23rd pass D, 15th rush).  Right around the same level as TEN, MIN, and really close to PHI (19th overall, 27th pass D, 12th rush D).
  • 2019: Their D-Line "Power Success" is ranked 3rd worst
  • So, the NYG defense is middle of the pack now, instead of bottom of the barrel last year, but they are way worse at stopping short touchdown runs.  

Eagles this year vs. last year:

• In those two Boston Scott games vs. NYG where he scored those 4 touchdowns (all were rushing touchdowns), they were on runs of 2 yds, 7 yds, 2 yds, and 2 yds.  All TDs scored when game was close (no garbage time).
  • 2019 PHI had the 14th best overall offense, per DVOA
  • 2019 PHI had the 14th best run blocking O-Line overall, per DVOA, and 11th best in pass protection.
  • 2019 PHI had the 3rd best "power success" run blocking O-line (meaning Percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Also includes runs on first-and-goal or second-and-goal from the two-yard line or closer).
  • Through 6 games in 2020:
  • 2020 PHI has the 5th worst offense overall.
  • 2020 PHI has the 6th worst run blocking O-Line overall, per DVOA, and 5th worst in pass protection.
  • 2020 PHI somehow has the 6th best "power success" run blocking O-line though.

What to make of all this for Boston Scott, if anything?  

My take:

NYG defense significantly better overall, but waaay worse at allowing short yardage runs. PHI offense significantly worse, except they still are one of the best at short yardage runs. 

Boston Scott will have less opportunities to score against NYG's improved defense, but has an even better chance to punch in a touchdown or two if Philly can put him in that position.  I think they can.  Vegas has Eagles winning and scoring 24 pts, so I'm going to say Scott finishes with a line of:

10 carries, 35 yards, 2 rushing TDs, 5 targets, 5 catches, 50 yards receiving.   

2 minutes ago, MBarbarian said:

I'm trying to figure out the how much the NYG defense has improved since last year.  Any Giants fans have any insight?   

Only reason I care, of course, is because I want to know whether Boston Scott's two awesome games against NYG last year mean anything this year.

Here's what I know:  

Giants last year vs. this year:

• 2019: Last year their defense was ranked 28th overall (per DVOA) (30th pass defense, 7th rush).
  • 2019: Their D-Line "Power Success" ranked 9th best.  (Percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Also includes runs on first-and-goal or second-and-goal from the two-yard line or closer. Teams are ranked from lowest power success percentage allowed (#1) to highest power success percentage allowed (#32).)
  • This year NYG has a new DC and added some players.
  • They added James Bradberry, PFF's 2nd highest rated cornerback.
  • 2020: Through 6 weeks, they are DVOA's 17th ranked defense (23rd pass D, 15th rush).  Right around the same level as TEN, MIN, and really close to PHI (19th overall, 27th pass D, 12th rush D).
  • 2019: Their D-Line "Power Success" is ranked 3rd worst
  • So, the NYG defense is middle of the pack now, instead of bottom of the barrel last year, but they are way worse at stopping short touchdown runs.  

Eagles this year vs. last year:

• In those two Boston Scott games vs. NYG where he scored those 4 touchdowns (all were rushing touchdowns), they were on runs of 2 yds, 7 yds, 2 yds, and 2 yds.  All TDs scored when game was close (no garbage time).
  • 2019 PHI had the 14th best overall offense, per DVOA
  • 2019 PHI had the 14th best run blocking O-Line overall, per DVOA, and 11th best in pass protection.
  • 2019 PHI had the 3rd best "power success" run blocking O-line (meaning Percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Also includes runs on first-and-goal or second-and-goal from the two-yard line or closer).
  • Through 6 games in 2020:
  • 2020 PHI has the 5th worst offense overall.
  • 2020 PHI has the 6th worst run blocking O-Line overall, per DVOA, and 5th worst in pass protection.
  • 2020 PHI somehow has the 6th best "power success" run blocking O-line though.

What to make of all this for Boston Scott, if anything?  

My take:

NYG defense significantly better overall, but waaay worse at allowing short yardage runs. PHI offense significantly worse, except they still are one of the best at short yardage runs. 

Boston Scott will have less opportunities to score against NYG's improved defense, but has an even better chance to punch in a touchdown or two if Philly can put him in that position.  I think they can.  Vegas has Eagles winning and scoring 24 pts, so I'm going to say Scott finishes with a line of:

10 carries, 35 yards, 2 rushing TDs, 5 targets, 5 catches, 50 yards receiving.   

That would be RB1 production... not sure he hits that if the team cant move the ball

1 minute ago, JacobThunder15 said:

That would be RB1 production... not sure he hits that if the team cant move the ball

Well, Vegas oddsmakers think Philly scores 24 points, so unless those points all come from their defense, pretty sure they'll be able to move the ball.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

If youre betting your outcome on Vegas, dont expect too much. 

I use Vegas odds as a tie-breaker when trying to decide between two players.  If you ignore Vegas odds in making fantasy decisions, you are wasting a valuable resource.  If you think you're smarter than Vegas oddsmakers...then I have an investment opportunity I would like to tell you about.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, MBarbarian said:

Well, Vegas oddsmakers think Philly scores 24 points, so unless those points all come from their defense, pretty sure they'll be able to move the ball.

Very interesting insight, it makes you wonder that Scott has a good percentage of getting a touchdown tonight. With the way RB’s have fallen and the bye weeks, Scott is a great filler especially if you are a sanders owner. I was going to start him anyway but I suppose this gives me much more confidence tonight even if he does bust lol. 

17 minutes ago, MBarbarian said:

As a Saquon and Sanders owner here desperately starting Scott you have to imagine NYG will review the tape and scheme for Scott to shut him down.  No way he replicates or even does 50% of that tonight.  Have a bad feeling he will go for 12 rushes, 52 yards, 1 catch for 5 yards no touchdowns.  

23 minutes ago, dlionsfan901 said:

As a Saquon and Sanders owner here desperately starting Scott you have to imagine NYG will review the tape and scheme for Scott to shut him down.  No way he replicates or even does 50% of that tonight.  Have a bad feeling he will go for 12 rushes, 52 yards, 1 catch for 5 yards no touchdowns.  

I would focus on Wentz if I was the giants defense. He is the only one who can beat them.

Maybe he sees a decent amount of work in the passing game tonight with all the injuries on the offensive side?  He has been successful at that in the past and the Giants have taken some lumps against RBs in the passing game this season.

Or maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better for starting him tonight lol.

85 total yards, 5 catches, 1 TD       Pretty please!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, nosh0t said:

The only thing good about Boston Scott is that it's tonight so if you are picking between Boston Scott and other fillers, you will know how boom/bust you got to do your lineup for Sun/Mon!

I'd say the fact that he's the starting RB on a team devoid of weapons with a three down skill set would be enough of a good reason to start him tonight. Will it work out? Who knows, but nobody is gonna convince me that he's a bad Flex play. Should have a decent floor and definitely has the potential usage and playmaking to deliver a huge game. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, NinerLifer said:

Maybe he sees a decent amount of work in the passing game tonight with all the injuries on the offensive side?  He has been successful at that in the past and the Giants have taken some lumps against RBs in the passing game this season.

Or maybe I'm just trying to make myself feel better for starting him tonight lol.

85 total yards, 5 catches, 1 TD       Pretty please!

I love stitch haha

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, nosh0t said:

The only thing good about Boston Scott is that it's tonight so if you are picking between Boston Scott and other fillers, you will know how boom/bust you got to do your lineup for Sun/Mon!

This. Scott is not good. When Sanders was out week 1, what did he do? 9 rushes for 35 yds (3.9 YPC) to go with 2 catches for 19 yds and they lost to Washington. The Eagles suck, flat out. But at least with Sanders, he is good enough to make something out of virtually nothing. Scott doesn't give you much to cheer for. Hope ya'll temper your expectations.

13 minutes ago, Gootz said:

This. Scott is not good. When Sanders was out week 1, what did he do? 9 rushes for 35 yds (3.9 YPC) to go with 2 catches for 19 yds and they lost to Washington. The Eagles suck, flat out. But at least with Sanders, he is good enough to make something out of virtually nothing. Scott doesn't give you much to cheer for. Hope ya'll temper your expectations.

The Eagles do suck, but you can't hold one week of bad production against Boston Scott.  Miles Sanders had a bad week this year too.  In Week 4 against the 49ers, Sanders had 13 carries for 46 yds (3.5 YPC) and 2 rec for 30 yds (and WAS defense is better than SF's defense).  That bad week 4 for Sanders was just an outlier, so hopefully the same can be said for Scott's week 1 dud and he just absolutely shoves tonight.  

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, MBarbarian said:

The Eagles do suck, but you can't hold one week of bad production against Boston Scott.  Miles Sanders had a bad week this year too.  In Week 4 against the 49ers, Sanders had 13 carries for 46 yds (3.5 YPC) and 2 rec for 30 yds (and WAS defense is better than SF's defense).  That bad week 4 for Sanders was just an outlier, so hopefully the same can be said for Scott's week 1 dud and he just absolutely shoves tonight.  

Let us pray.

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I would focus on Wentz if I was the giants defense. He is the only one who can beat them.

Definitely sounds like they are focusing on Wentz.  From Giants head coach:  

Carson can make throws anywhere down the field and he can extend plays and make plays down the field like we've seen time and time again, especially this last weekend with his legs.

He's talking about how Wentz ran it 5 times for 49 yards and a rushing touchdown against the Ravens.  If NYG is game planning to stop Wentz from running the ball, that's great news for Boston Scott owners.

44 minutes ago, Gootz said:

Washington front 4 on defense is no joke...Scott should have a better game tonight. 

• Like 1