Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Courtland Sutton 2020 Outlook


Recommended Posts

Sutton had a pretty solid 2019 season. It's not yet clear how good his chemistry with Drew Lock will be. The Broncos drafted TWO receivers in the early rounds this year, one of which is Jerry Jeudy who is a route-running machine. They have Fant at TE who looks like he could be poised to break out, and with Melvin Gordon at running back, this suddenly looks like an offense with a lot of potential. Pre-NFL draft, most rankings seemed to have Sutton solidly in the top 15 wide receivers.

What are his prospects for the upcoming season?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OBJ has entered the chat 

Butt play is always risky. Could go nice and smooth, could blow up in your face

I dont like his prospects too much with all the new weapons. He's going around WR14-18 I believe and I think I rather have guys like Chark or Metcalf who are going a round later.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, timexsocialclub said:

Sutton had a pretty solid 2019 season. It's not yet clear how good his chemistry with Drew Lock will be. The Broncos drafted TWO receivers in the early rounds this year, one of which is Jerry Jeudy who is a route-running machine. They have Fant at TE who looks like he could be poised to break out, and with Melvin Gordon at running back, this suddenly looks like an offense with a lot of potential. Pre-NFL draft, most rankings seemed to have Sutton solidly in the top 15 wide receivers.

What are his prospects for the upcoming season?

Top-10 potential easily - Jeudy and Hamler should deflect defensive attention more than anything, while Fant and Albert O create havoc down the seams.  He’s an elite talent just entering his prime on a team transitioning to a pass-first offense.  If you can draft him as a mid-range WR2,  that will still likely represent a bargain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, timexsocialclub said:

Sutton had a pretty solid 2019 season. It's not yet clear how good his chemistry with Drew Lock will be. The Broncos drafted TWO receivers in the early rounds this year, one of which is Jerry Jeudy who is a route-running machine. They have Fant at TE who looks like he could be poised to break out, and with Melvin Gordon at running back, this suddenly looks like an offense with a lot of potential. Pre-NFL draft, most rankings seemed to have Sutton solidly in the top 15 wide receivers.

What are his prospects for the upcoming season?

Tough to say.   One on hand he is the X wr on an offense that should find him 130-150 targets.    With a talented soph qb and other weapons to keep D attention under control.  
 

on the other-    Chemistry with lock is not established,  Nor do we know if Lock is legit,  his new wr mate has the pro polish to become a major target drain early,  and this is a team that will be in the bottom half of the nfl in passing attempts.  Very much a balanced to slight run bias of an offense.   Lots of mouths.   
 

I’ll look for Sutton in the third 

in the fourth he’s a great buy 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, timexsocialclub said:

Sutton had a pretty solid 2019 season. It's not yet clear how good his chemistry with Drew Lock will be. The Broncos drafted TWO receivers in the early rounds this year, one of which is Jerry Jeudy who is a route-running machine. They have Fant at TE who looks like he could be poised to break out, and with Melvin Gordon at running back, this suddenly looks like an offense with a lot of potential. Pre-NFL draft, most rankings seemed to have Sutton solidly in the top 15 wide receivers.

What are his prospects for the upcoming season?

BTW if you are concerned with a lack of total pass attempts, I’d recommend reading the following comments from both Elway and Fangio after the draft:

https://www.9news.com/mobile/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/elway-explains-broncos-decision-to-load-up-on-offense-in-draft/73-ac75a63a-12de-41d3-92ca-d6aabc84d2d1

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I'm at par with him.  I dont think he was a fluke but i'm not going to chase expecting a boom either.   

He seems appropriately priced at the moment - if ADPs mean anything currently.  If he slips to anywhere near WR15 overall, you need to pounce on that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at current ADP's, i think you nailed it.  He's 12 on FFC for PPR, and I find exactly three guys beneath him that I really like.   Thielen, Moore, Samuel, and all are not ones i certainly take over Sutton, just in the same mix.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Sutton is the main reason I won't draft Jeudy this season. He's going to be a stud this year if Lock is even half decent.

I think Lock is the one that becomes a stud. He’s got a great release, quick read, and can cannon when needed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Lock is a guy I am targeting. 

I'd be careful with that.

I'm honestly excited about him IRL as a fan, and I read what the Horse God said about him, however the defense looks good, Gordon and Lindsay can facilitate a good running game, the receivers are very green (even Sutton) and Bolles still stinks.

Just some potentially cautionary notes.  I'm of course excited that people are excited about Lock but trying to be objective. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I'd be careful with that.

I'm honestly excited about him IRL as a fan, and I read what the Horse God said about him, however the defense looks good, Gordon and Lindsay can facilitate a good running game, the receivers are very green (even Sutton) and Bolles still stinks.

Just some potentially cautionary notes.  I'm of course excited that people are excited about Lock but trying to be objective. 

You must be in one of my leagues🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I'd be careful with that.

I'm honestly excited about him IRL as a fan, and I read what the Horse God said about him, however the defense looks good, Gordon and Lindsay can facilitate a good running game, the receivers are very green (even Sutton) and Bolles still stinks.

Just some potentially cautionary notes.  I'm of course excited that people are excited about Lock but trying to be objective. 

...I thought - you - were the Horse God?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

You must be in one of my leagues🤣

LOL, I'm normally much worse at this if I'm throwing shade for strategy.

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

...I thought - you - were the Horse God?

But a shadow of a shade my man. 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I'd be careful with that.

I'm honestly excited about him IRL as a fan, and I read what the Horse God said about him, however the defense looks good, Gordon and Lindsay can facilitate a good running game, the receivers are very green (even Sutton) and Bolles still stinks.

Just some potentially cautionary notes.  I'm of course excited that people are excited about Lock but trying to be objective. 

Bolles is a goner - but he alone shouldn’t prevent the Broncos from becoming a pass-centric offense.  This is the time to strike if your league mates are imagining Elway/Fangio tolerating another basement-level run-first offense this season.

Edited by BMcP
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Bolles is a goner - but he alone shouldn’t prevent the Broncos from becoming a pass-centric offense.  This is the time to strike if your league mates are imagining Elway/Fangio tolerating another basement-level run-first offense this season.

He should be, but they don't have a whole lot of options at left tackle, which is going to be crucial to the development of the young QB.

And like I said, it's not the only issue.  Jeudy and Hamler are rooks.  Fant is going to be a second year player.  Meanwhile the guys with all the experience are backs.  And like I said, I think the defense is pretty good.

Of course I love Elway's confidence.  But to me it's just a plan...and as that great western philosopher Mike Tyson once told us, "everybody got a plan til they get punched in the mouth."

To me, it seems more likely that they're going to keep scores low with a a ton of great pass rushers, and move the chains with two solid veteran backs and good interior run blocking.

Sutton is the lone guy I'd feel confident playing from this passing game week in and week out.  But do you, guys.  Like I said, if I'm wrong, it'll be way more fun and I'll be happy.  But the smart play to me looks like betting on the defense and the run game.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

He should be, but they don't have a whole lot of options at left tackle, which is going to be crucial to the development of the young QB.

And like I said, it's not the only issue.  Jeudy and Hamler are rooks.  Fant is going to be a second year player.  Meanwhile the guys with all the experience are backs.  And like I said, I think the defense is pretty good.

Of course I love Elway's confidence.  But to me it's just a plan...and as that great western philosopher Mike Tyson once told us, "everybody got a plan til they get punched in the mouth."

To me, it seems more likely that they're going to keep scores low with a a ton of great pass rushers, and move the chains with two solid veteran backs and good interior run blocking.

Sutton is the lone guy I'd feel confident playing from this passing game week in and week out.  But do you, guys.  Like I said, if I'm wrong, it'll be way more fun and I'll be happy.  But the smart play to me looks like betting on the defense and the run game.

I don’t see how they accept more low-scoring games this year.  And the way to score points in today’s NFL is by passing.  A deficient LT will only hold them back so much.  I like your vision -but there’s no way they return to a run-happy plan given the mandate just loudly received in the draft.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I don’t see how they accept more low-scoring games this year.  And the way to score points in today’s NFL is by passing.  A deficient LT will only hold them back so much.  I like your vision -but there’s no way they return to a run-happy plan given the mandate just loudly received in the draft.

Guess we'll see.  I've been wrong many many times before and would happily be wrong about this.  Would love to see the Broncos have a great passing game again, it's been far too long.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

The disparity in formats on FCC is insane.

He's WR11 and 12 in half and fill PPR and WR36 in standard?  This data does not compute.

You think that’s bad look at their dynasty ADPs 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Guess we'll see.  I've been wrong many many times before and would happily be wrong about this.  Would love to see the Broncos have a great passing game again, it's been far too long.

Could be it!  I am a fan, too, so I’m extremely optimistic!  I could be wrong - but I’m not seeing much reason for that now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BMcP said:

Bolles is a goner - but he alone shouldn’t prevent the Broncos from becoming a pass-centric offense.  This is the time to strike if your league mates are imagining Elway/Fangio tolerating another basement-level run-first offense this season.

 

Elway/Fangio must have been asleep at the wheel when picking Hamler over Josh Jones or Ezra Cleveland.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...