NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

“I am Franklin Gore, born 400 years ago in the highlands of Scotland. I am Immortal, and I am not alone. For centuries we have waited for the time of the Gathering, when the hand-off of a football and

Posted Images

Gore will be utterly useless in fantasy for 2020, but he will also destroy the value of all the other Jet running backs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, BMcP said:

“I am Franklin Gore, born 400 years ago in the highlands of Scotland. I am Immortal, and I am not alone. For centuries we have waited for the time of the Gathering, when the hand-off of a football and the gaining of three yards will release the power of the Quickening.

In the end, there can be only one.”

I'm not saying he chopped Fred Jackson's head off in a sword fight.

I'm saying I can't be sure he didn't.

• Haha 6

What's this guy's secret?  Great conditioning?  Good genes?  Undeniable work ethic?  Awesome teammate?   Serious question.  He might not be lighting the league on fire anymore, but in a league where most RBs don't make it past 30, he's managed to stick around and always find work.  

Agree though with the sentiment that he's useless in fantasy and he'll only be a drain on Le'Veon or whoever ends up being Jets RB1.

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Gore will be utterly useless in fantasy for 2020, but he will also destroy the value of all the other Jet running backs.

i couldn't disagree more:

destroying the value of jets' running backs is adam gase's job.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Just now, Evincar said:

No he isnt... Classic stat compiler. An all-time great should have been more dominant in his prime.

He was dominant in his prime.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
9 minutes ago, Evincar said:

No he isnt... Classic stat compiler. An all-time great should have been more dominant in his prime.

I don't think you're going to find much agreement amongst HoF voters that Gore's longevity isn't germaine to his induction.

1 minute ago, devaster said:

He was dominant in his prime.

I dont see it. Only 2nd team all-pro once. Never lead the league in any category and I dont think he was close either. Was only top 5 in scrimmage yards once.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I don't think you're going to find much agreement amongst HoF voters that Gore's longevity isn't germaine to his induction.

He's a lock when a lesser player like Bettis is inducted. I dont agree with it but it is what is.

He was a dominant RB in the early part of his career on some of the worst teams in the league. Remember how bad the 49ers used to be before Harbaugh? And he had more than 1000 scrimmage yards for nearly every season of his career, including 12 straight seasons. He is an easy HoFamer in my book.

Rrd5m0D.png

• Like 3

Your basically just reading the back of a sports card. Looking at career stats without any context.

And if the "bad team" argument held water, wouldnt his numbers have skyrocketed when the 49ers became an elite team?

There aren't a lot of examples of RB stat compilers because of the nature of the position. The average career length for a RB is 2.5 years. Gore going steady, despite his injuries pre-NFL and during the NFL, is amazing. He one of a select few. You have to be an all-time great to have that kind of career and longevity at that position.

Even Emmitt Smith could be classified as a stat compiler his last 4 years if we are going to go down that route.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/240102/average-player-career-length-in-the-national-football-league/

6 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Are people really questioning the HoF worthiness of a dude who tore both ACLs early in his career then went on to get 15,000+ career rushing yards?

Sad that this fact even needs to be pointed out.

He'll be in Canton when it's all said and done. I don't see why his HOF worthiness is being called into question.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, devaster said:

There aren't a lot of examples of RB stat compilers because of the nature of the position. The average career length for a RB is 2.5 years. Gore going steady, despite his injuries pre-NFL and during the NFL, is amazing. He one of a select few. You have to be an all-time great to have that kind of career and longevity at that position.

Even Emmitt Smith could be classified as a stat compiler his last 4 years if we are going to go down that route.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/240102/average-player-career-length-in-the-national-football-league/

Well Emmitt Smith last 4 years dont really add much value to his career. He was already a lock for the HOF regardless.

If Gore had retired in 2014 at age 31, it wouldnt had made him any less of a player but he would have had less yards and people would have a different opinion about his HOF worthiness. So does signing with a bunch of mediocre teams and adding to career totals make your career greater?