Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Evincar said:

 

He's a lock when a lesser player like Bettis is inducted. I dont agree with it but it is what is.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

But I can't say I agree with excluding the third highest career rusher in the league's history from the HoF, regardless of the circumstances.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

“I am Franklin Gore, born 400 years ago in the highlands of Scotland. I am Immortal, and I am not alone. For centuries we have waited for the time of the Gathering, when the hand-off of a football and

Posted Images

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

But I can't say I agree with excluding the third highest career rusher in the league's history from the HoF, regardless of the circumstances.  

 

Thats fine. I guess I rather see the HOF have higher standards. If fully expect guys like Matt Ryan and Phillip Rivers to make it in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Evincar said:

 

Thats fine. I guess I rather see the HOF have higher standards. If fully expect guys like Matt Ryan and Phillip Rivers to make it in.

If you don’t manage one super bowl as a QB than you better be a top 3 QB for a good chunk of your career and be the best for a few seasons.

Rivers led the league in interceptions more than he has led the league in yards or TDs.

The only QBs currently in the NFL that should be locks for the HOF are Brees, Rodgers, Brady, and Wilson. Although I don’t know if 8 seasons is enough for Wilson. 

Edited by Gohawks
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

If you don’t manage one super bowl as a QB than you better be a top 3 QB for a good chunk of your career and be the best for a few seasons.

Rivers led the league in interceptions more than he has led the league in yards or TDs.

The only QBs currently in the NFL that should be locks for the HOF are Brees, Rodgers, Brady, and Wilson. Although I don’t know if 8 seasons is enough for Wilson. 

Roethlisberger will probably get in. Berger has a better resume than Eli who many delusional people seem to think is a deserved hall of famer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

If you don’t manage one super bowl as a QB than you better be a top 3 QB for a good chunk of your career and be the best for a few seasons.

Rivers led the league in interceptions more than he has led the league in yards or TDs.

The only QBs currently in the NFL that should be locks for the HOF are Brees, Rodgers, Brady, and Wilson. Although I don’t know if 8 seasons is enough for Wilson. 

 

Couldnt the same logic that was used for Gore be used for Ryan? Ryan is going to end his career well inside the top 10 in both passing yards and TDs, in addition to being MVP. Isnt he an all-time great by that logic?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Roethlisberger will probably get in. Berger has a better resume than Eli who many delusional people seem to think is a deserved hall of famer.

Forgot about him. 100% deserves to get in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Evincar said:

 

Couldnt the same logic that was used for Gore be used for Ryan? Ryan is going to end his career well inside the top 10 in both passing yards and TDs, in addition to being MVP. Isnt he an all-time great by that logic?

 

I don't think it's even close to fair to compare an RB with a QB. One has a drastically shorter shelf life, which Gore seemed to have entirely missed the memo on.


But on the topic of Ryan's HoF worthiness I'm not sure if 1 MVP and no Superbowls is good enough. What other QBs have gotten in off of just that? Gotta adjust the volume yards for inflation right? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Rivers of Ryan make it in unless they win a SB. It could take them a while. Wilson is a lock as long as he continues to play at a high level for 5+ more seasons.

Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and Ben are locks. And Eli is going to get in, but maybe not a 1st ballot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sSektor said:

 

I don't think it's even close to fair to compare an RB with a QB. One has a drastically shorter shelf life, which Gore seemed to have entirely missed the memo on.


But on the topic of Ryan's HoF worthiness I'm not sure if 1 MVP and no Superbowls is good enough. What other QBs have gotten in off of just that? Gotta adjust the volume yards for inflation right? 

Marino maybe? I don't think anyone has ever viewed Ryan in the same light as Marino though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CooL said:

What's this guy's secret?  Great conditioning?  Good genes?  Undeniable work ethic?  Awesome teammate?   Serious question.  He might not be lighting the league on fire anymore, but in a league where most RBs don't make it past 30, he's managed to stick around and always find work.  

Agree though with the sentiment that he's useless in fantasy and he'll only be a drain on Le'Veon or whoever ends up being Jets RB1.

His secret is that Adam Gase loves him and is somehow holding an NFL coaching job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Evincar said:

 

Thats fine. I guess I rather see the HOF have higher standards. If fully expect guys like Matt Ryan and Phillip Rivers to make it in.

 

Totally agree with you.  Gore definitely should not be voted into the HoF.  He was a top 5 back in the NFL once or maybe twice.  For most of the seasons he has played, he's been like the 40th best running back.

But he will be voted in.  His mediocrity has extended for so long that he has now reached legend status for the casual fan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sack Exchange said:

 

i couldn't disagree more:

destroying the value of jets' running backs is adam gase's job.

 

Too right, eh?  And Gase does an unbelievable job.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

 

Totally agree with you.  Gore definitely should not be voted into the HoF.  He was a top 5 back in the NFL once or maybe twice.  For most of the seasons he has played, he's been like the 40th best running back.

But he will be voted in.  His mediocrity has extended for so long that he has now reached legend status for the casual fan.

 

I mean I think its pretty telling that the teams Gore has played for post 49ers: Indy, Miami, Buffalo and now the Jets were mediocre at best. The elite franchises stayed away. 

His longevity is impressive but I dont agree that it makes him some automatic inductee. The HOF is becoming diluted. Too many good players who accumulated stats over long careers as opposed to noteworthy players that defined teams/eras.  A HOF shoudnt be a door prize for just reaching a number threshold.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gore is the Cal Ripkin, Jr. of Football.  If Ripkin had averaged about 300 at-bats per season, and not done very much with them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's something to be said for continuing to be good enough that NFL teams want to pay you to play for them for so long.

Frank Gore may have never rushed for 2,000, but for a RB to have over 1,200 total scrimmage yards for 12 years in this era of football when most RBs are left for dead after 27 is pretty remarkable IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, sSektor said:

 

I don't think it's even close to fair to compare an RB with a QB. One has a drastically shorter shelf life, which Gore seemed to have entirely missed the memo on.


But on the topic of Ryan's HoF worthiness I'm not sure if 1 MVP and no Superbowls is good enough. What other QBs have gotten in off of just that? Gotta adjust the volume yards for inflation right? 

With QBs you have to look at how they perform relative to the current QBs. Pretty much all QBs are shooting up all time charts because of the rules.

That being said, Ryan has been top 5 in passing yards pretty much every season for a while now. He’s also had numerous top 3 seasons. I still don’t view him as a HOFer. With QBs winning matters. He’s only made the playoffs in half of his career.

I suppose he still has a few years to make a case. 

Edited by Gohawks
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fletch44 said:

Roethlisberger will probably get in. Berger has a better resume than Eli who many delusional people seem to think is a deserved hall of famer.

By the way, Eli Manning is going to get in because of 8 games. It’s that simple.

Dude had a few good seasons. For a good chunk of his career he’s been average to below average. Imagine having a 0.66 TD/INT ratio in the modern NFL over 16 games and being considered a good QB. Led the league in interceptions 3 times and in any other meaningful QB stat 0 times. Made the playoffs just over a third of the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

By the way, Eli Manning is going to get in because of 8 games. It’s that simple.

 

whitney houston was inducted into the rock-n-roll hall of fame in 2020,

and soungarden was denied the "honor".

the farce is contagious beyond the NFL.

giphy.gif 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

By the way, Eli Manning is going to get in because of 8 games. It’s that simple.

Dude had a few good seasons. For a good chunk of his career he’s been average to below average. Imagine having a 0.66 TD/INT ratio in the modern NFL over 16 games and being considered a good QB. Led the league in interceptions 3 times and in any other meaningful QB stat 0 times. Made the playoffs just over a third of the time.

That, and his last name.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BMcP said:

“I am Franklin Gore, born 400 years ago in the highlands of Scotland. I am Immortal, and I am not alone. For centuries we have waited for the time of the Gathering, when the hand-off of a football and the gaining of three yards will release the power of the Quickening.

In the end, there can be only one.”

 

Damn man that was good stuff. Can I one day in the future consult you to be my 

3 hours ago, Sack Exchange said:

 

i couldn't disagree more:

destroying the value of jets' running backs is adam gase's job.

 

 

Now that we have that straightened out without much debate.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...