NBC Sports Edge Forums

Card collector? Good read.

Great read, brought me back. I would get lost in the cards. I will always remember my grandfather telling to pay more attention to my schoolwork instead of my cards. I kept a journal on every game for my Yankee players and knew what there average was after they went 0-4 or 1-3? Never had my cards graded so honestly I have no idea what they are really worth. Best card is my 1962 Mickey Mantle. 

E2C88D26-1527-4728-9372-5279D8E95B96.jpeg

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Great read, brought me back. I would get lost in the cards. I will always remember my grandfather telling to pay more attention to my schoolwork instead of my cards. I kept a journal on every game for my Yankee players and knew what there average was after they went 0-4 or 1-3? Never had my cards graded so honestly I have no idea what they are really worth. Best card is my 1962 Mickey Mantle. 

E2C88D26-1527-4728-9372-5279D8E95B96.jpeg

I have all my “valuable” cards here at home with the vast majority of them at my parents house.

I have so many stories. One, I opened a single pack of upper deck collectors choice and pulled a Ken Griffey Jr. gold autograph and my friend who operated the card shop (those exist anymore?) and he offered me any one item in his shop for it, which booked at the time, $200. I said nope!

another is a friend of mine came to my house to wheel and deal. I traded like 10 Kenny Lofton rookie cards for his one 1982 Topps cal Ripken rookie card.

Edited by charger_ss24
  • Like 1

I saved my baseball cards, believing I'd one day become rich off them.

Threw away Star Wars toys, classic video games, vintage metal and punk Ts and vinyl and a bunch other stuff that is now worth a fortune. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

There was a documentary on Netflix about baseball cards, Jack of All Trades. I'm sure some of you have seen it. Worth watching if you collected cards as a kid. 

I still love to  browse my binders every once in a while. It gives me nostalgia. I wouldn't sell them even if I could.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

There was a documentary on Netflix about baseball cards, Jack of All Trades. I'm sure some of you have seen it. Worth watching if you collected cards as a kid. 

I still love to  browse my binders every once in a while. It gives me nostalgia. I wouldn't sell them even if I could.

I just watched the trailer, wish I had Netflix. Back in 1977, I got a call from my mother who wanted to know if I wanted to sell my cards her friend own a baseball card store. I meant the dude we went through all my cards made me an offer, I turned it down found out I had a small fortune and thought of my boyhood friend Frankie who was the one who got me hooked into buying packs. He had three older brothers who also collected. They had a shitload of cards from the early/late 50’s & 60’s. Went over to the family homestead and asked where were the cards he had a fortune. Back in the day people used to burn there trash. His father burnt most of them, the only cards he had left were his Bowman from the 50’s They were some sweet looking cards. 

Me too.  my family will make that decision when my time comes when I cross over to the other side. 

• Like 1

I used to love collecting cards, went to my first convention way back in the 1980s. Yeah I’m that old.

i was a young kid maybe all of 11 or 12 in the late 1980s. I went with 20 dollars to spend. My Goal was to buy a reasonably priced George Bell rookie card. Nothing else mattered. I went with my friend who had saved up 250 dollars.

He was kind of a speculator and he said I should buy Barry Bonds rookie cards.  He said Barry Bonds would emerge as one of the greatest hitters of all time.  He ended up buying 1000 Barry bonds rookie cards.  I thought he was nuts!  With 250 he could have bought like 5 Eric Davis rookie cards!  He told me stuff like OBP was the most important statistic and I argued with him it was all about HRs and RBIs.

I remember how Bonds career took off and I was so jealous of my friend.. now destined to become a millionaire.  I seem to remember those cards going for like 20 each at one time. Maybe more ? I can’t remember.

Years later the steroid scandal came out and the card market crashed. I ran into him at a supermarket and asked about those cards and he told me he traded the cards for drugs or something like that.  

I looked up the price of Barry Bonds rookie cards these days and the prices seem quite low.  I recognize he is a hated player and a cheater.  But he does hold several offensive records. 

A near mint Mickey mantle rookie goes for like 3 million dollars.  A near mint bonds may be acquired with some drain for like 2 dollars.  I understand supply and demand but should Mickey go for like 1.5 million Barry bonds rookie cards??!!!

1 hour ago, KingJoffrey said:

I used to love collecting cards, went to my first convention way back in the 1980s. Yeah I’m that old.

i was a young kid maybe all of 11 or 12 in the late 1980s. I went with 20 dollars to spend. My Goal was to buy a reasonably priced George Bell rookie card. Nothing else mattered. I went with my friend who had saved up 250 dollars.

He was kind of a speculator and he said I should buy Barry Bonds rookie cards.  He said Barry Bonds would emerge as one of the greatest hitters of all time.  He ended up buying 1000 Barry bonds rookie cards.  I thought he was nuts!  With 250 he could have bought like 5 Eric Davis rookie cards!  He told me stuff like OBP was the most important statistic and I argued with him it was all about HRs and RBIs.

I remember how Bonds career took off and I was so jealous of my friend.. now destined to become a millionaire.  I seem to remember those cards going for like 20 each at one time. Maybe more ? I can’t remember.

Years later the steroid scandal came out and the card market crashed. I ran into him at a supermarket and asked about those cards and he told me he traded the cards for drugs or something like that.  

I looked up the price of Barry Bonds rookie cards these days and the prices seem quite low.  I recognize he is a hated player and a cheater.  But he does hold several offensive records. 

A near mint Mickey mantle rookie goes for like 3 million dollars.  A near mint bonds may be acquired with some drain for like 2 dollars.  I understand supply and demand but should Mickey go for like 1.5 million Barry bonds rookie cards??!!!

The mid-80s and 90s is referred to as the junk wax era. It is all about supply and demand. Bonds cards aren’t worth a lot because there were so many made (nothing to do with PEDs). The market was flooded with them. The Honus Wagner card is not the most valuable because he’s the greatest player ever, it’s because they’re so rare (and he was good, like Mantle).

I still have two 1987 Topps Bonds cards. But so does just about everyone who collected back then.

Edited by Backdoor Slider

Correct. Everyone who collected at that time (which was a lot of people) had those cards and most still do. I probably have 10 or so Bonds rookies just like everyone else. 10/10 rated are worth something but you have to send them in to get graded and nobody other than serious collectors are doing that for those junk wax cards. Plus it's very hard to get a 10/10.

I have my collection sitting in the garage and look through it occasionally. Some good memories, like the guy in the article, but they're all worthless other than a handful of early 80's cards that could fetch a few bucks. Even still, organizing the cards and sitting around with a friend talking baseball and making trades was a fun way to spend an afternoon and I don't regret it and it's still fun to reminisce with old friends or with other guys who collected during that time. Everyone from that time remembers Kevin Maas and the Billy Ripken f-face card, for example.

• Like 2

I had too many drinks and was house sitting many many years ago and bought baseball cards off of QVC apparently? I got a Griffey Upper Deck rookie out of it, so I guess it may have been worth it. My favorite card is still my Yastrzemski rookie with a picture of him signing it.

I suggest all the baseball card collectors investigate the world of pre-1930 tobacco and caramel cards. There is SO much out there that many collectors don't even know exist. I remember picking up my first t206 card and marveling that a c.1910 baseball card actually exists. They are like little pieces of art.

Edited by twistedude
  • Like 2

That was a great read - Thanks for sharing. MY 1st wife and I divorced in the mid 80's. My son and I spent hours with his cards when he was at my new home. I would take him to the local card shop as well as a few card shows that had 20 or more dealers all in one place. I can remember running him all over the county buying packs of Fleer cards in search of the famous Billy Ripken card (he probably has at least 20 of them). Now he is in his early 40's and lives in Oregon and I am still in South Jersey with all his cards boxed in my basement. Maybe someday we will go through them during one of his visits. I see the boxes in the basement and think about looking through them but it wouldn't be the same without him doing it with me. Great memories. 

• Like 4

one of my happiest memories was in the mid 90's when I ordered a box of 500+ packs of cards (90% baseball) from shop at home. I spent hours opening up packs of cards with so many stars and rookie cards.

sucks that most of the rookie cards from the early 90's are not worth what you would think.

I remember watching a special on TV about baseball cards, and how Upper Deck was making sheets of just the 89 Griffey rookie.

2 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Maybe we should get the hobby going again and turn this into a bench coach / trading post for baseball cards since we can’t trade fantasy players. That would have been sweet to have on my Commodore 64 in 1989. 

The hobby is going strong. I started a card thread in the off-topic section a while back. But cards are crazy right now, and even booming despite job outlook. All over eBay and twitter. @Members_Only_76 knows about it as well 😎. Feel free to PM me if you’re genuinely interested. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

one of my happiest memories was in the mid 90's when I ordered a box of 500+ packs of cards (90% baseball) from shop at home. I spent hours opening up packs of cards with so many stars and rookie cards.

sucks that most of the rookie cards from the early 90's are not worth what you would think.

I remember watching a special on TV about baseball cards, and how Upper Deck was making sheets of just the 89 Griffey rookie.

I remember buying packs of cards at my local grocery store for 35 cents. When upper deck came out in ‘89, I could only find them at the drug store for a whopping dollar. I thought why buy that when I can buy three packs of topps or donruss for the same price at the grocery store.

i did splurge once in a while on upper deck, Never pulled a Griffey, but I did pull a Randy Johnson rookie.

That just jogged another memory. If I bought cards at the drug store walking home from school, I always cut across the court yard of an assisted living facility for the elderly. Most times I did that, an old man named Ralph who would sit outside his apartment and ask me if I got any good cards. I would tell him what I got and and who I think would be good or not.

Damn...I bet that old man had some stories to tell if I wasn’t in a big hurry to get home and put my worthless cards in binders.🙁

• Like 3
23 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

The hobby is going strong. I started a card thread in the off-topic section a while back. But cards are crazy right now, and even booming despite job outlook. All over eBay and twitter. @Members_Only_76 knows about it as well 😎. Feel free to PM me if you’re genuinely interested. 

Yeah I have looked at it some. They've created scarcity which is good but it's incredibly expensive now. No way I'm going to encourage my kids to get into it at those prices. We still buy a few of the generic Topps packs that are worthless for fun but I'm not springing for those Hobby Boxes that are $80 or whatever they are.

I guess you can't have it both ways though (kid friendly and scarcity). Left as it was, the cards were worthless so I get why they changed the model.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, TedStriker said:

Yeah I have looked at it some. They've created scarcity which is good but it's incredibly expensive now. No way I'm going to encourage my kids to get into it at those prices. We still buy a few of the generic Topps packs that are worthless for fun but I'm not springing for those Hobby Boxes that are $80 or whatever they are.

I guess you can't have it both ways though (kid friendly and scarcity). Left as it was, the cards were worthless so I get why they changed the model.

It all depends. Their are 1 of 1 Mike Trout autographs that are out of my tax bracket. Buying big boxes of new releases is expensive. But for $15 my son and I can still get a box of decent product at Target or Walmart, and get rookies like (this season) Yordan, Bichette, Lux, and L.Robert. So they’re not necessarily worthless. But yeah, the game has changed. It’s almost like two different hobbies in one. 

On 5/10/2020 at 11:38 AM, Backdoor Slider said:

I feel like ex-MLB'er Phil Hughes has played at least a small part of a resurgence in collecting again. https://www.sportscasting.com/phil-hughes-went-from-82-million-pitcher-to-baseball-card-fanatic/

12 minutes ago, supac720 said:

I feel like ex-MLB'er Phil Hughes has played at least a small part of a resurgence in collecting again. https://www.sportscasting.com/phil-hughes-went-from-82-million-pitcher-to-baseball-card-fanatic/

Maybe. There’s another dude named Gary Vee who people credit with getting “flipper/investors” back in.

• Like 1

Great read and topic. I started collecting in 1985 and thought I would retire someday when I cashed out my Dwight Gooden rookie, Micheal Jordan rookie sticker, and Robin Yount rookie. Now the only one still in my position (after several moves/parents divorce/growing up getting married) is the Dwight Gooden. Still my favorite card ever..even when I finally figured out it wasn't even his rookie!

Baseball MLB 1985 Topps #620 Dwight Gooden RC Mets

• Like 1
On 5/10/2020 at 9:38 AM, Backdoor Slider said:

It sure is going strong. I'm still surprised by the amount of people out there selling, buying and trading. And the values are up! I'm also realizing how much there is to learn and watch. And then tomorrow, it could change. I'm enjoying following it. And my personal collection has grown from zero to about 100 cards in no time!

I've made some rookie mistakes, too. Early on I just started buying a bunch of cards without truly researching them, or truly thinking ahead of what I want my collection to looks like. @Backdoor Slider has been an AMAZING help. It's fun to discuss and learn.

Patience is now my key as a new collector. At the same time, if you know a card you 100% want, you have to be ready to pounce. I've missed out on some awesome cards/deals. There will be more, though.

I think a lot of people are bored without sports and fantasy. As well as getting some stimulus cash. So the market has been up. Might see some better prices later this year and/or in the off season (if we have a season, fingers crossed).

• Like 1