NBC Sports Edge Forums

Card collector? Good read.

still find it funny how the same wander franco rc auto card is going for more than the same arenado/lindor rc auto card.

prospect collectors are crazy. i guess they are all swing for the fences trying to hit on the next trout.

13 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

still find it funny how the same wander franco rc auto card is going for more than the same arenado/lindor rc auto card.

prospect collectors are crazy. i guess they are all swing for the fences trying to hit on the next trout.

This is 100% true. Jasson Dominguez first card is already going for $120+ lol. And people are paying it. You gotta be patient. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

This is 100% true. Jasson Dominguez first card is already going for $120+ lol. And people are paying it. You gotta be patient. 

I think I saw (on Twitter) some person listed on of his #'d auto refractors (to 60 or something) was listed at well over 6K!

I remember when Jose Cruz JR was a rookie still with the Mariners. I don't remember the price at card shops but his Bowman rookie card was on fire and he was barely in the majors.

some of the rookie cards from the 80's of great HOF players are so low. Greg Maddux Topps Traded rookie, last I checked was $12.00.

Loved this article. I have all of my cards from the late 80s/early 90s, even though I know they're not worth jack. Who knows what my Dad spent on cards for my brother and I growing up. Knowing him, I'm sure the memories are worth every penny. We'd take a Florida vacation each year. My Dad would always bring down a box of packs and give my brother and I a few in the morning each day. We'd always wake up before him and watch TV, but we knew he was up when we heard the crunching of unopened packs as he walked down the hall. Immediate excitement! My brother and I would organize our newfound loot on the floor of the condo for the duration of the trip, which drove my Mom nuts...haha

The final paragraphs made me sad. We often label kids as screen-addicted an unimaginative, but the author's kid saying "It's a really good story. I'm sure TikTok isn't giving us what the cards gave you. Especially because we aren't allowed to have it." really brought home how dire this time is to be a kid. My son is almost two and every day is still a party for him. I don't envy parents with kids old enough that all this has to be explained and hopefully understood. We take a walk nearly every day and I see all the banners for graduating seniors that didn't get to experience any of the awesomeness that came during that time for me. I do my best to remain hopeful, but it can be challenging. People were getting tired of nostalgia before all this. Now nostalgia seems right - and healthy.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

top tier/phenom prospects are crazy priced (acuna vlad franco)

ill take the 2nd tier, reasonalble priced guys that can easily  double in price in a year or 2 (bregman, yelich for ex) hopefully my senzel investment hits this year.

edit- didnt trust my gut last year ST on yordan alvarez. almost pulled the trigger on nice gem mint bc gold/50. so close

Edited by colepenhagen
21 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

top tier/phenom prospects are crazy priced (acuna vlad franco)

ill take the 2nd tier, reasonalble priced guys that can easily  double in price in a year or 2 (bregman, yelich for ex) hopefully my senzel investment hits this year.

edit- didnt trust my gut last year ST on yordan alvarez. almost pulled the trigger on nice gem mint bc gold/50. so close

For sure. And you can get some guys relatively inexpensive (Bryce, Arenado, Machado, Bryant, Votto) who could be HOFers. Now is the time. Play the slow game.

I use a lot of the young phenom cards to flip. Don’t want to hold for too long. It’s allowed me to put together a nice collection just from the same funds.

And if you’ve followed Topps Project 2020...it’s a whole nother animal. They’re on sale for two days, that’s it. Yet for some reason people decide they want them afterward. So the secondary market is crazy. 

Of all the cards I had, I sold EXACTLY one. It was a Dave Dravecky 1990 Score. I had a classmate who was from a very religious family. The pitcher, who was a very religious man himself, had his arm amputated after the 1990 season I believe because of cancer. Dude snapped his arm throwing a pitch that could be heard through the stadium. Anyway, he knew I collected cards and asked if I would sell one to him and for how much. I told him I really don’t know, how about a buck. Sure as hell he gave me a dollar for it the next day at school and I proceeded to buy a pack of Upper Deck with that dollar, the only profit I ever made from a card! 

Edited by charger_ss24
1 hour ago, charger_ss24 said:

Of all the cards I had, I sold EXACTLY one. It was a Dave Dravecky 1990 Score. I had a classmate who was from a very religious family. The pitcher, who was a very religious man himself, had his arm amputated after the 1990 season I believe because of cancer. Dude snapped his arm throwing a pitch that could be heard through the stadium. Anyway, he knew I collected cards and asked if I would sell one to him and for how much. I told him I really don’t know, how about a buck. Sure as hell he gave me a dollar for it the next day at school and I proceeded to buy a pack of Upper Deck with that dollar, the only profit I ever made from a card! 

In remember that like it was yesterday...I was like 10 and watching the replay scared the crap out of me