NBC Sports Edge Forums

Van Jefferson 2020 Outlook

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/29/nfl-draft-rams-van-jefferson-kupp-woods-comparison/

Les Snead, who had this to say on SiriusXM NFL Radio with Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan.

“As you dug deep into him, we kept saying, ‘god, this guy reminds us of some combination of Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods’ and both of those guys have been really successful for us and we didn’t think we could pass on him,” Snead said.

The Rams (who have a pretty good record recently on WRs) are not the only ones raving about his route running, Matt Waldman and others are also impressed.

Can this guy be the next Cooper Kupp, without the injuries? Is this a dynasty sleeper?

On 5/7/2020 at 9:18 PM, Boudewijn said:

Is this a dynasty sleeper?

i'm not targeting him. i mean, if van is on the board and i have no other picks, maybe i'd take a shot. and i'm thinking that's what the rams said / did, which is why i'm not excited. all of van's comments about the draft speak of how "surprised" he was, how he had no contact with the rams other than a brief chat at the combine. he doesn't seem to be part of the plan. 

that said, if an opportunity opens up due to injury, he will put up serviceable numbers. everyone speaks about his route-running, almost in consolation for his lack of dominance in other skills.

"Second only to Jerry Jeudy among the draft's top route-runners, Jefferson already separates like an NFL receiver. Some of the best cornerbacks in the country were hard-pressed to deal with his combination of foot speed, nuance, and general route savvy, and his length, strong hands, and competitiveness in contested situations allow him to finish plays even when he doesn't manage to give his quarterback a gaping throwing window. The polish in all the finer points of his game does more than enough to make up for what he may lack in straight-line speed." -- the score

not concerned about his age, as if 24 is somehow old. but like @paulwall29's post implies, if van jefferson has yet to excite, why should he start now?

"Van Jefferson is an older prospect set to turn 24 before the start of the 2020 season, and he does the little things well when it comes to the route-running nuances of the position. However, in four years of significant playing time, he has never put up more than 657 receiving yards. His career-high overall grade came in at just 71.0 in 2019." -- PFF

when it comes to excitement and van jefferson, i'll be excited when one of my leaguemates reaches for him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 5/9/2020 at 12:48 PM, Sack Exchange said:

i'm not targeting him. i mean, if van is on the board and i have no other picks, maybe i'd take a shot. and i'm thinking that's what the rams said / did, which is why i'm not excited. all of van's comments about the draft speak of how "surprised" he was, how he had no contact with the rams other than a brief chat at the combine. he doesn't seem to be part of the plan. 

that said, if an opportunity opens up due to injury, he will put up serviceable numbers. everyone speaks about his route-running, almost in consolation for his lack of dominance in other skills.

"Second only to Jerry Jeudy among the draft's top route-runners, Jefferson already separates like an NFL receiver. Some of the best cornerbacks in the country were hard-pressed to deal with his combination of foot speed, nuance, and general route savvy, and his length, strong hands, and competitiveness in contested situations allow him to finish plays even when he doesn't manage to give his quarterback a gaping throwing window. The polish in all the finer points of his game does more than enough to make up for what he may lack in straight-line speed." -- the score

not concerned about his age, as if 24 is somehow old. but like @paulwall29's post implies, if van jefferson has yet to excite, why should he start now?

"Van Jefferson is an older prospect set to turn 24 before the start of the 2020 season, and he does the little things well when it comes to the route-running nuances of the position. However, in four years of significant playing time, he has never put up more than 657 receiving yards. His career-high overall grade came in at just 71.0 in 2019." -- PFF

when it comes to excitement and van jefferson, i'll be excited when one of my leaguemates reaches for him.

From what I have seen (I didn't draft him), he is falling way too far for a 2nd round WR in a pass heavy offense that has shown it can support 3 WRs

On 5/8/2020 at 1:50 AM, paulwall29 said:

Poor college production, poor breakout age, poor college target share and poor college dominator rating is no-no for me.

I read all that. Did you watch him play?

I saw several of his games. He is a fluid route runner and reliable catcher. I was hoping to grab him in dynasty but missed out. 

Redraft he is going Into a crowded WR room but a decent dynasty dart throw. He doesn't have elite athleticism but he is a very good route runner, that's how he creates his space.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I saw several of his games. He is a fluid route runner and reliable catcher. I was hoping to grab him in dynasty but missed out. 

Redraft he is going Into a crowded WR room but a decent dynasty dart throw. He doesn't have elite athleticism but he is a very good route runner, that's how he creates his space.

I have to agree here - this is one of those (rare) examples where his talent as a route-runner merits more weight than his deficient college production in evaluations.

On 5/14/2020 at 5:01 AM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I agree with all of that, I'm just saying that I won't be expecting much and def won't draft him as high as I normally would take someone with his draft capital.

On 5/9/2020 at 12:48 PM, Sack Exchange said:

Not my favorite target or anything but this is a horrible way to judge the Rams motive in taking him, especially in a year when the whole process was messed up by Covid

Edited by mocha4313

Un-draftable in re-draft this year but a solid stash in dynasty from an opportunity stand point.  A lot of his metrics are unattractive - break out age, college dominator - but he seems like a versatile player who can play all 3 WR spots.  Doesn't seem like a top end athlete, but does more damage with route running and getting open that way.  Kupp and Reynolds are set to be FAs in 2021, with Woods in 2022.  The Rams could also cut Woods next year and save $8mm so that might become a consideration depending on their cap situation next off-season.  If no one gets re-signed, Van could be #2 in the offense next year, and possibly the #1 depending on Woods.  

• 2 months later...

Jared Goff compared second-round rookie WR Van Jefferson to Cooper Kupp.

Goff's full quote, "He's been really impressive and has done a good job. It reminds me a lot of when Kupp was a rookie. He was just so far ahead of where a rookie kind of should be." Jefferson was a mildly shocking second-round pick due to his age (24) and questionable college production, but he's someone scouts have talked up because of his route running and the fact that his dad was a 13-year NFL veteran. The Rams have 126 available targets with Brandin Cooks traded and others missing, but Jefferson is merely competing for the No. 3 receiver role with Josh Reynolds at this point. Jefferson could become an intriguing name next offseason if Kupp isn't re-signed.

Aug 18, 2020, 9:01 PM ET
On 8/19/2020 at 5:31 AM, The G Man said:

Jared Goff compared second-round rookie WR Van Jefferson to Cooper Kupp.

Goff's full quote, "He's been really impressive and has done a good job. It reminds me a lot of when Kupp was a rookie. He was just so far ahead of where a rookie kind of should be." Jefferson was a mildly shocking second-round pick due to his age (24) and questionable college production, but he's someone scouts have talked up because of his route running and the fact that his dad was a 13-year NFL veteran. The Rams have 126 available targets with Brandin Cooks traded and others missing, but Jefferson is merely competing for the No. 3 receiver role with Josh Reynolds at this point. Jefferson could become an intriguing name next offseason if Kupp isn't re-signed.

Aug 18, 2020, 9:01 PM ET

Funny because he'll be replacing Kupp most likely when he's not re-signed. Kupp may be a bit overrated. 

• 2 weeks later...

This guy is simply lighting up Rams camp, absolute tactician in route running with strong hands and plenty of speed after the grab too. I can't believe how late I got him in early dynasty drafts and it seems that his great camp still isn't resonating with drafters, as I keep getting him very late in best balls too. Now Kupp is reportedly dealing with a low ankle sprain, just more reps for this kid to soak up with the 1st team and cement a possible key role from jump street.

• Like 1
  • The Athletic's Jourdan Rodrigue expects second-round rookie Van Jefferson to be the Rams' No. 3 receiver.

Jefferson has been one of the standouts of Rams camp, and he appears to have passed Josh Reynolds on the depth chart behind Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp. Before training camp, it was expected to be Reynolds replacing Brandin Cooks in three-wide sets. The Rams have a ton of targets up for grabs in coach Sean McVay's scheme that relies heavily on 11 personnel. Anyone who plays significant snaps in this offense is automatically on the fantasy radar.

RELATED: 
    SOURCE: The Athletic
    Sep 2, 2020, 11:22 AM ET

•  
53 minutes ago, dfstout said:

Gut feelin', this kids gonna ball out...

I added him in a couple of deeper leagues.  If Cooper Kupp or Robert Woods miss any time, Jefferson could become a solid wr3 at the least.

1 minute ago, sjm76 said:

I added him in a couple of deeper leagues.  If Cooper Kupp or Robert Woods miss any time, Jefferson could become a solid wr3 at the least.

At least..yes...I mean he would get Cooks looks from last year...so I think he can def make most of that if not more.

So you're saying drop Pittman in re-draft for Van instead of Bryan Edwards?  Tough call but for most of our rosters I imagine we would not need any them in the starting lineup until much later in the season (bye weeks) or they put up stats and force the issue.

On 9/4/2020 at 12:02 AM, EWV1 said:

So you're saying drop N'keal Harry in re-draft for Van instead of Bryan Edwards?  Tough call but for most of our rosters I imagine we would not need any them in the starting lineup until much later in the season (bye weeks) or they put up stats and force the issue.

If he's being compared to Kupp and Donald is talkimg him up, I'm thinking theres something here. 

On 9/3/2020 at 3:38 PM, Spina said:

Prediction: 4% Ownership is soon to rise Exponentially📈

(Buy Shares Now)

He’s my last pick in every draft guy. Gonna hold for a couple weeks and see how the snaps shake out. The Rams shifted to more 12 personnel late last year it seemed at least. But at the same time Reynolds/Cooks seemed to be on the field at the expense of Kupp in 2 wide sets. So there could be a viable role. I also loaded up on him for cheap early in dynasty. 

• 2 months later...

Just thinking about this guy. Cooper hurt but may be back. Van lit up training camp. 

McVay if he were to step up as a coach needs to get more production from rookies. He red shirts all of them and I don’t think that’s a good thing.