Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chase Claypool 2020 Outlook


Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, jwilsonxo said:

Didn't watch the 2nd half. He got benched? LOL

 

Imagine benching Randy Moss 2.0. They deserve that loss.

Not fully benched, as he popped up a couple plays here and there. But he was out multiple consecutive drives when the game was close. 

But the Steelers were definitely begging for an L for multiple reasons, this decision included.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Longtime lurker and Steelers fan, but I've been watching Claypool closely since the rave reviews started coming out of camp, so I'm going to wade into this debate. I think this take is pretty reasonab

When Jimmy watches Chase catch 1 pass for -2 yards.

And the loser here is Aaron Rodgers.  I was wondering what Rodgers must be thinking, here is an historically deep and freakishly talented rookie WR class....and Green Bay drafted a backup QB and a 3rd

Posted Images

and people say tomlin is a good football coach lmao. Just lose to the WFT on its 3rd qb when its star rb got  knocked out the game in early first quarter and its star wr had under 30 yards and you still find a way to lose? Hilarious.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, isuckatdfs said:

and people say tomlin is a good football coach lmao. Just lose to the WFT on its 3rd qb when its star rb got  knocked out the game in early first quarter and its star wr had under 30 yards and you still find a way to lose? Hilarious.

This is all true... how does this happen? Cause mckissic gets 10 receptions? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone watched the Ravens/Steelers game, he was on the sideline more than he should've been. Made me scratch my head a few times. So this has been a multi week thing, not just today

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cbsholy said:

I'd be surprised if this benching was disciplinary, seemed like Claypool had a pretty good head on his shoulders 

But what do I know 

The only reason I speculated it's disciplinary is: how can his play explain it? I guess he might have completely sucked in practice lately but that seems pretty unlikely as the reason as well. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jwilsonxo said:

If anyone watched the Ravens/Steelers game, he was on the sideline more than he should've been. Made me scratch my head a few times. So this has been a multi week thing, not just today

I agree but the snap share between him and Washington was in line with the rest of the season. 2/3 Claypool and 1/3 Washington. What raised my eyebrow is that Wash was in during crunch time at the end. I haven't watched the Steelers enough to know if their substitutions are situationally agnostic, though (which would be stupid). And then Washington makes a big but not spectacular play at the end of that game and we get this.

I may have to re-watch that game to see if I can make any sense of it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Drewfus said:

I agree but the snap share between him and Washington was in line with the rest of the season. 2/3 Claypool and 1/3 Washington. What raised my eyebrow is that Wash was in during crunch time at the end. I haven't watched the Steelers enough to know if their substitutions are situationally agnostic, though (which would be stupid). And then Washington makes a big but not spectacular play at the end of that game and we get this.

I may have to re-watch that game to see if I can make any sense of it. 

I mean, I'm not great at math, but I don't think 37/69 is one third and 30/69 is two thirds.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TTo34 said:

I mean, I'm not great at math, but I don't think 37/69 is one third and 30/69 is two thirds.

Your math seems fine, not sure about the reading comprehension. 

We were discussing the Ravens game. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were to venture a guess, I would have to think it has something to do with the coaching staff trying to give him a little rest. People seem to be forgetting that this is game 2 of a 3 game in 12 day stretch . Not only that, but they had to burn their bye week in week 4. Attrition is taking its toll and they probably decided to slow the rookie down a little to preserve him for the stretch.

Surely it wasn’t to give us the treat of watching Diontae Johnson and Eric Ebron drop catchable balls all night while Benny Snell personifies whiskey d*** at the half yard line.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a piece of this puzzle I am missing. On paper he seems like their best WR to me. He seems like an elite top 10 WR you build around. Not that the other two are slouches, they are also very good, but I just think Claypool is better. What am I missing here?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The coaching staff loves Washington and he balled out today. Claypool and Washington are competing for playtime, as juju has the slot locked up and Diontae is the AB role/alpha.  It’s as simple as that, he and Washington will probably cannibalize eachother ROS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cheezor42 said:

The coaching staff loves Washington and he balled out today. Claypool and Washington are competing for playtime, as juju has the slot locked up and Diontae is the AB role/alpha.  It’s as simple as that, he and Washington will probably cannibalize eachother ROS.

Straight cheese... you have covid brain 

Washington equals Claypool?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zorndogs said:

There is a piece of this puzzle I am missing. On paper he seems like their best WR to me. He seems like an elite top 10 WR you build around. Not that the other two are slouches, they are also very good, but I just think Claypool is better. What am I missing here?

WR's on this team have different skillsets. You cant really compare him to Dionte. Dionte is having trouble with drops, but his route running is reminiscent to AB from a few years ago. It's that good. These short and  intermediary routes in this offense is an absolute gold mine and the reason why I would give the edge to Dionte.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cheezor42 said:

The coaching staff loves Washington and he balled out today. Claypool and Washington are competing for playtime, as juju has the slot locked up and Diontae is the AB role/alpha.  It’s as simple as that, he and Washington will probably cannibalize eachother ROS.

Balled out? Meh. His TD resulted from 2 horrible missed tackles after a 10 yard pitch and catch. Any WR in the league scores there. He had one other catch for 30 yards that I don't remember. Not what I'd call balling out, in any case. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TsR1823 said:

If I were to venture a guess, I would have to think it has something to do with the coaching staff trying to give him a little rest. People seem to be forgetting that this is game 2 of a 3 game in 12 day stretch . Not only that, but they had to burn their bye week in week 4. Attrition is taking its toll and they probably decided to slow the rookie down a little to preserve him for the stretch.

Surely it wasn’t to give us the treat of watching Diontae Johnson and Eric Ebron drop catchable balls all night while Benny Snell personifies whiskey d*** at the half yard line.

I guess it's possible. Don't really remember any precedent for uninjured rookie WRs getting rested late in seasons, but the schedule has been taxing. Then again I'd think they'd rest the more fragile Diontae and Juju over CC. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hard1 said:

 

Yeah let's play james washington instead 

 

I'm sorry but what's so impressive about this play?  Regardless, it doesn't matter what you think.  The coaching staff clearly doesn't view Washington as someone they don't want on the field and it's Claypool that will pay for this.  Claypool won't come off the field next year but for now he's still a rookie and 3rd in the pecking order with #4 nipping at his heals.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...