NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chase Claypool 2020 Outlook

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Longtime lurker and Steelers fan, but I've been watching Claypool closely since the rave reviews started coming out of camp, so I'm going to wade into this debate. I think this take is pretty reasonab

When Jimmy watches Chase catch 1 pass for -2 yards.

And the loser here is Aaron Rodgers.  I was wondering what Rodgers must be thinking, here is an historically deep and freakishly talented rookie WR class....and Green Bay drafted a backup QB and a 3rd

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, Lambfordinner said:

^ Exactly, you can’t explain away, taking one of the NFL’s most dynamic WR & placing him on the Bench; when others are dropping multiple targets every game. He’s slinging a lot of Bullshit.

Why else would he be limiting the snaps then - the "rookie wall" thing makes more sense than arbitrarily sitting him and costing your team games. The only answer to that question is some sort of discipline reason - but he's not done anything deserving "discipline" that we know of. 

5 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Why else would he be limiting the snaps then - the "rookie wall" thing makes more sense than arbitrarily sitting him and costing your team games. The only answer to that question is some sort of discipline reason - but he's not done anything deserving "discipline" that we know of. 

On November 16th Chase posted this video on YouTube.  I know Tomlin has had a sketch past with players posting undesired team footage on social media (Mr. Big Chest).  Maybe he's being disciplined for this... the date does correlate with his decline.

Edited by TTo34
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, TTo34 said:

On November 16th Chase posted this video on YouTube.  I know Tomlin has had a sketch past with players posting undesired team footage on social media (Mr. Big Chest).  Maybe he's being disciplined for this... the date does correlate with his decline.

I hate to say this sounds like Tomlin. 

Have you guys considered the fact that they are an 11 and 2 team that has Super Bowl aspirations and they want to make sure that their stud rookie is ready to perform when the games actually matter? First round bye is great and all, but who in their right mind actually believed they were going 16-0 and squeezing out the Chiefs?

I think we’re starting to swerve into that land where we think that good for fantasy equals good for IRL guys.

Edited by TsR1823
Quoted the wrong post
36 minutes ago, TsR1823 said:

Have you guys considered the fact that they are an 11 and 2 team that has Super Bowl aspirations and they want to make sure that their stud rookie is ready to perform when the games actually matter? First round bye is great and all, but who in their right mind actually believed they were going 16-0 and squeezing out the Chiefs?

I hold Claypool in my keeper league so I'm on the bandwagon, but this is one step too far trying to rationalize his reduction in snaps. I don't know what's going on, but it isn't this.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, trilly said:

I hold Claypool in my keeper league so I'm on the bandwagon, but this is one step too far trying to rationalize his reduction in snaps. I don't know what's going on, but it isn't this.

I’m not saying that they’re trying to lose or anything, but they have 4 quality receivers on the roster and a quality catching tight end - all of them, with the exception of Claypool, have experience dealing with the rigors is the NFL season. In addition to that, they’ve played 10 straight games, with 3 of those games coming in a 12 day span. That’s a brutal stretch, and it would be absolutely foolish to risk grinding the rookie out in such a tough stretch when they have such a wealth of pass catchers that they can fall back on. While more Claypool would have probably helped in the past two games, he alone wouldn’t have turned the L’s to W’s. So if you think that’s incorrect, I’m open to examples why, but I’m going where the supporting information is pointing, and right now that’s in the direction of Tomlin’s comments being truthful.

2 minutes ago, TsR1823 said:

I’m not saying that they’re trying to lose or anything, but they have 4 quality receivers on the roster and a quality catching tight end - all of them, with the exception of Claypool, have experience dealing with the rigors is the NFL season. In addition to that, they’ve played 10 straight games, with 3 of those games coming in a 12 day span. That’s a brutal stretch, and it would be absolutely foolish to risk grinding the rookie out in such a tough stretch when they have such a wealth of pass catchers that they can fall back on. While more Claypool would have probably helped in the past two games, he alone wouldn’t have turned the L’s to W’s. So if you think that’s incorrect, I’m open to examples why, but I’m going where the supporting information is pointing, and right now that’s in the direction of Tomlin’s comments being truthful.

Fair enough. So what do you expect from here on out.

45 minutes ago, TsR1823 said:

The "rookie wall" excuse didn't keep Tomlin from running Diontae Johnson into the ground last year as a rookie...

1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

The "rookie wall" excuse didn't keep Tomlin from running Diontae Johnson into the ground last year as a rookie...

You are correct, the "rookie wall" excuse didn't exist last year for the Steelers.  Would you like to know what else didn't exist last year for the Steelers?  Any serious chance at a playoff run and COVID.

The Steelers were lucky that they weren't trading away a top 10 draft pick last year for Minkah Fitzpatrick, so trying to save your rookie receiver for a playoff run that isn't coming is rather silly and you might as well get him as much experience as you can for next season and get him acclimated to the wear and tear, right?

2 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Fair enough. So what do you expect from here on out.

I could see them keeping his playing time lower for another game or two, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he was magically back to his old snap count this week. I'd consider him a desperation flex this week given the uncertainty.  I do expect him to be a key component in the playoffs though.

The biggest variable for me, is the 3 game in 12 day stretch.  I think people are being too dismissive of it, but I don't know how much weight to actually give it in regards to Claypool's playing time.  Aside from added wear and tear, this schedule gave the Steelers less time to prepare for each matchup, and that's something that will disproportionately affect rookies. That lack of preparation alone could be a major reason for Claypool's snap reduction and given more preparation this week you could see a bounce back game.  I'm also hoping to see the jet sweeps begin to come back now that they're getting over their COVID wave and have the normal amount of time to prepare again.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, TsR1823 said:

You are correct, the "rookie wall" excuse didn't exist last year for the Steelers.  Would you like to know what else didn't exist last year for the Steelers?  Any serious chance at a playoff run and COVID.

The Steelers were lucky that they weren't trading away a top 10 draft pick last year for Minkah Fitzpatrick, so trying to save your rookie receiver for a playoff run that isn't coming is rather silly and you might as well get him as much experience as you can for next season and get him acclimated to the wear and tear, right?

I could see them keeping his playing time lower for another game or two, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he was magically back to his old snap count this week. I'd consider him a desperation flex this week given the uncertainty.  I do expect him to be a key component in the playoffs though.

The biggest variable for me, is the 3 game in 12 day stretch.  I think people are being too dismissive of it, but I don't know how much weight to actually give it in regards to Claypool's playing time.  Aside from added wear and tear, this schedule gave the Steelers less time to prepare for each matchup, and that's something that will disproportionately affect rookies. That lack of preparation alone could be a major reason for Claypool's snap reduction and given more preparation this week you could see a bounce back game.  I'm also hoping to see the jet sweeps begin to come back now that they're getting over their COVID wave and have the normal amount of time to prepare again.

Tomlin should rest Diontae Johnson. Maybe he is dropping so many passes because he is worn out.

I expected to see this bumped long before now - kept forgetting to post in here. Really want to rage drop at this point. His get-back game was this one - NOT IND. 

An emerging explanation for his drop off the face of the earth is Roethlisberger suddenly looking like his surgery didn't go too well. Whatever the case IND is a crappy play for an opposing passing game. Watson did surprisingly well against them Sunday - Watson was neutralized by them in Week 13. Watson is quite a bit different animal at this stage of the game than Ben.

love the talent, but all things considered, you have to be really desperate to start this guy in redraft at this pt.  I'd rather a middling guy than Claypool this week, and won't lose any sleep if Claypool randomly explodes.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ygung said:

love the talent, but all things considered, you have to be really desperate to start this guy in redraft at this pt.  I'd rather a middling guy than Claypool this week, and won't lose any sleep if Claypool randomly explodes.

agreed. I'm probably holding him to protect against opponent grabbing, At this point there are plenty of guys to drop. Unfortunately Claypool is one of plenty guys to not start. Steelers are retards, 

1 minute ago, hard1 said:

Yeah Diontae and his 7 yards a catch are worth throwing to every time evidently 

That's right you had a problem last night when I pointed out what a dud Claypool has been - yet you know why. 

Knowledge is Power. Best of luck.

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, TTo34 said:

Looks like Claypool gonna pick up right where AB and Boo Boo Shoester left off.

Salty a** loser.  Funny, you'd think he'd be use to it playing at Notre Dame