NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chase Claypool 2020 Outlook

This guy has the measurables of Calvin Johnson, only faster.

He runs every type of route. On a team with a history of making rookie WRs look good.

Diontae is constantly banged up. The guy is good when he plays but, I had him last year and it was like injury after injury.

I think he is an auto Flex/WR3 every week. I'd put him ahead of Mecole Hardman, Gallup, etc. 

The biggest thing I take away from this is Ebron seems invisible. He's 2a/2b in the passing game on this team

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Longtime lurker and Steelers fan, but I've been watching Claypool closely since the rave reviews started coming out of camp, so I'm going to wade into this debate. I think this take is pretty reasonab

When Jimmy watches Chase catch 1 pass for -2 yards.

And the loser here is Aaron Rodgers.  I was wondering what Rodgers must be thinking, here is an historically deep and freakishly talented rookie WR class....and Green Bay drafted a backup QB and a 3rd

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Thrill22 said:

He runs every type of route. On a team with a history of making rookie WRs look good.

Diontae is constantly banged up. The guy is good when he plays but, I had him last year and it was like injury after injury.

I think he is an auto Flex/WR3 every week. I'd put him ahead of Mecole Hardman, Gallup, etc. 

The biggest thing I take away from this is Ebron seems invisible. He's 2a/2b in the passing game on this team

He was not faster than Calvin. Calvin ran a 4.35 my man. Calvin was truly one of a kind. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Ryansm11 said:

He was not faster than Calvin. Calvin ran a 4.35 my man. Calvin was truly one of a kind. 

Sorry my bad, CC ran a 4.42. in my defense I went off a scouting report. I'll still take 4.42! And I agree Megatron is one of a kind. That being said you hung on a minute portion of what I said. Do you have anything to add?

40 minutes ago, Thrill22 said:

Sorry my bad, CC ran a 4.42. in my defense I went off a scouting report. I'll still take 4.42! And I agree Megatron is one of a kind. That being said you hung on a minute portion of what I said. Do you have anything to add?

Yeah, the Steelers are spreading the ball around to everyone and I’m not sure his weekly scoring will be stable sadly. I do however, think at this point he needs to take all of the #3 WR snaps. He’s also a great run blocker. I think the snaps will be there, volume will be inconsistent. 

1 hour ago, Ryansm11 said:

Yeah, the Steelers are spreading the ball around to everyone and I’m not sure his weekly scoring will be stable sadly. I do however, think at this point he needs to take all of the #3 WR snaps. He’s also a great run blocker. I think the snaps will be there, volume will be inconsistent. 

They schemed him the ball. Sweeps and screens, lining him up all over the field, sending him in motion, having him run every route in the book... Let's not ignore what is obvious, he's the most talented WR on the team and they are using him as such.  More importantly, I think Big Ben knows it. Oh yeah he also is a homerun hitter with this year's longest play from scrimmage on that TD bomb in week 2.   

He'll be in my lineup moving forward.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What's really nice about Claypool is that they've lined him up both outside and in the slot - if they want to game plan opportunities for him based on matchups, he seems to have a good enough grasp of the offense, which is pretty impressive for a rookie, let alone dealing with a pandemic and remote learning. If they decide to get him on the field more, sky's really the limit.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Man maybe I’m just a pessimistic Steelers fan but I feel y’all are overreacting a bit much lol

Care to elaborate?

He had 11 targets. Obviously that won't happen every game just like the TDs but when pitt faces a stud CB like Slay then Claypool becomes an Intriguing play. 

I don't think any of use can say he is a weekly start yet but depending on who is covering juju I'll consider throwing claypool in. I still think juju gets the volume when not facing a shut down CB.

It's really discussing whether he can take a lot of Diontae johnson's reps due to injury or performance. I think he has proven he is better than James Washington already.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Care to elaborate?

I just think the way the Steelers are spreading the ball around this season He will be super boom/bust. We hired Canada and since then our gameplan has been different every week. We used to run the same feed AB/Bell gameplan every week. I’ve never seen so many players on offense touch the ball for us as I have this year. So while I’m super excited about his future potential, I’m not sure this is the season he returns consistent value week in and week out. Also, see below to my overreaction point. 

1 hour ago, beerfish said:

Does he take over Diontae's spot? Or was this performance due to him being injured early (yet again)

7 hours ago, rasto21585 said:

TOP 5 WR ROS!!!

20 hours ago, Tomei7 said:

Set and forget 😁

13 hours ago, rasto21585 said:

Is he now a top 20 pick next year?

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

I just think the way the Steelers are spreading the ball around this season He will be super boom/bust. We hired Canada and since then our gameplan has been different every week. We used to run the same feed AB/Bell gameplan every week. I’ve never seen so many players on offense touch the ball for us as I have this year. So while I’m super excited about his future potential, I’m not sure this is the season he returns consistent value week in and week out. Also, see below to my overreaction point. 

Thanks for your insight.

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Agree with this but given FAAB bids are due tonight I think this is a fair question:

1 hour ago, beerfish said:

Does he take over Diontae's spot? Or was this performance due to him being injured early (yet again)

Claypool burned D Slay a few times. 

D Johnson has gotten targets but hasn’t had a game like that. 

The whole appeal of D Johnson is the volume for a talented WR. Is Claypool and D Johnson are both talented and the Steelers are spreading the ball around like this I’m not as inclined to bid a ton of FAAB FOR Claypool and I’m more inclined to sell high on whichever has a big game first. Or do you bid big for Claypool and hold both and see how this shakes out?

I think it’s a fair question.

11 hours ago, Thrill22 said:

I don't understand the bolded part, other than Juju (who I believe still finished outside the top 30 at WR his rookie year), who has really produced as a rookie for the Steelers?  Dionte was solid last year for the situation he was in with the QB's but finished as the WR41 in PPR.  Claypoolhas a lot of talent and I think his future is bright but he is being overrated ROS in this thread.  I have him on one of my redraft teams and still think it's a wait and see situation with him.

2 minutes ago, SnickSnack said:

I don't understand the bolded part, other than Juju (who I believe still finished outside the top 30 at WR his rookie year), who has really produced as a rookie for the Steelers?  Dionte was solid last year for the situation he was in with the QB's but finished as the WR41 in PPR.  Claypoolhas a lot of talent and I think his future is bright but he is being overrated ROS in this thread.  I have him on one of my redraft teams and still think it's a wait and see situation with him.

Mart Bryant had a pretty nice rookie season. Started late but played well. Holmes had a good rookie year, only 2 touchdowns but 49-850 is pretty solid. Mike Wallace 756 and 6. So none of them really took over, but were solid contributors.  

2 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Mart Bryant had a pretty nice rookie season. Started late but played well. Holmes had a good rookie year, only 2 touchdowns but 49-850 is pretty solid. Mike Wallace 756 and 6. So none of them really took over, but were solid contributors.  

That's what i mean, even though the Seelers have been great at developing receivers none of them were must starts their rookie season.  They were borderline guys who you could start in a pinch but they weren't every week starters.  I think that's more likely for Claypool ROS.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

Man maybe I’m just a pessimistic Steelers fan but I feel y’all are overreacting a bit much lol

1. 6’4 238 with a 80” wingspan/19 reps on bench, runs 4.42, a stronger Calvin Johnson clone IMO

2. Coaches/Vets raved about this guy’s IQ, work ethic, and talents since day 1 of camp
3. Has almost ran every route there is thus far and they are using him a lot on fly sweeps

4. They use him all over the field, out wide, tight, and in the slot

5. Has the longest play from scrimmage in the NFL

6. Last game, 11targets 7recs 110yds 4tds, that wasn’t luck. Should of had 5tds, a 42yd TD got called back on a blown call on the ref for OPI

7. Cooked Darius Slay Jr multiple times during the game, Slay had no answer at all

8. Diontae is always banged up, solid wr but undependable thus far, as many have proclaimed he’s the #1 wr on the team, IMO very hard to lean on

9. Juju is what he is, a gd #2, very gd all around wr and team player. He’s not a #1 clear and simple but shows up and does his job. It’s no secret and pretty obvious that Big Ben has looked to Diontae or Claypool when either of the 2 are on the field. Even Washington/Ebron have seen more targets then Juju last 2 games. Juju will not be in Steelers plans after this yr, unless he takes a small check which I doubt
10. Long stretch of games ahead because of the early bye week for Pit, now that wk 5 is in the books they have to play 12 more straight games. Can Diontae/Ebron/Juju/Conner make it without missing? I put my money on Claypool finishing the healthiest. He could be fantasy gold if any of them miss due to injury.

That’s 10 reasons why I believe this kid will shine this yr, it’s not an overreaction, it’s actually seeing it happen before it actually happens. Maple🍁 🤖Tron when given opportunity has shined, even against the best so far. His size and speed are unmatched, to me he is the the better and healthier WR on this Steelers team, if Diontae could stay healthy he would be a 1a to 🍁🤖’s 1a. There’s a new Sheriff in town boys, this isn’t a fluke, and hopefully u empty the fabb, have a #1 waiver priority, or u own him already.

🚂💨💨💨💨

Edited by Tomei7
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

Claypool is a whole different beast then Wallace, Holmes, and Bryant, plus there were clear #1’s when they were all rookies in AB and Ward, different situation this yr

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

He definitely was (one of a kind), but I believe Claypool ran a 4.42 at nearly identical height weight. I'm not saying he's the next Calvin, but it's a very fair athletic comp.

Edited by BGDDYKWL
  • Like 1
42 minutes ago, Tomei7 said:

1. 6’4 238 with a 80” wingspan/19 reps on bench, runs 4.42, a stronger Calvin Johnson clone IMO

2. Coaches/Vets raved about this guy’s IQ, work ethic, and talents since day 1 of camp
3. Has almost ran every route there is thus far and they are using him a lot on fly sweeps

6. Last game, 11targets 7recs 110yds 4tds, that wasn’t luck. Should of had 5tds, a 42yd TD got called back on a blown call on the ref for OPI

7. Cooked Darius Slay Jr multiple times during the game, Slay had no answer at all

8. Diontae is always banged up, solid wr but undependable thus far, as many have proclaimed he’s the #1 wr on the team, IMO very hard to lean on

9. Juju is what he is, a gd #2, very gd all around wr and team player. He’s not a #1 clear and simple but shows up and does his job. It’s no secret and pretty obvious that Big Ben has looked to Diontae or Claypool when either of the 2 are on the field. Even Washington/Ebron have seen more targets then Juju last 2 games. Juju will not be in Steelers plans after this yr, unless he takes a small check which I doubt
10. Long stretch of games ahead because of the early bye week for Pit, now that wk 5 is in the books they have to play 12 more straight games. Can Diontae/Ebron/Juju/Conner make it without missing? I put my money on Claypool finishing the healthiest. He could be fantasy gold if any of them miss due to injury.

That’s 10 reasons why I believe this kid will shine this yr, it’s not an overreaction, it’s actually seeing it happen before it actually happens. Maple🍁 🤖Tron when given opportunity has shined, even against the best so far. His size and speed are unmatched, to me he is the the better and healthier WR on this Steelers team, if Diontae could stay healthy he would be a 1a to 🍁🤖’s 1a. There’s a new Sheriff in town boys, this isn’t a fluke, and hopefully u empty the fabb, have a #1 waiver priority, or u own him already.

🚂💨💨💨💨

^This^ Excellent! Kudos- Tomei7! Along with no pre-season & going into Month 2 of 2020 Season; he's just getting started. Giddyup!

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Tomei7 said:

🚂💨💨💨💨

ChaseClaypoolsCleats?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Get a very strong Vincent Jackson vibe from Claypool. Nearly identical in size. (Jackson was listed 6'5, 230 and Claypool at 6'4, 238). Jackson had 4.46 40yd, Claypool 4.42.

Maybe he's what Martavis Bryant could/should have been. 

Considering Conner hasn't been all that effective and Snell/McFarland if forced into duty would be a downgrade I think sky is limit for Claypool this year. As someone else mentioned, Juju hasn't cemented himself as the #1, Dionate is dinged up. 

I could see this all coming together

Edited by sportsfreak2744
  • Like 2