NBC Sports Edge Forums

Michael Thomas 2020 Outlook

2 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

I’ll take him next year with Taysom as a low end WR1. If he falls out of the first round I think he provides value. Who are the consensus picks over him, Adams, hill, hopkins, Metcalf, diggs. Anyone I’m forgetting? 

Picked up Thomas as second round value this year. Evans, Thielen, Julio Jones, Keenan Allen. I'd go  Kelce, Waller, Kittle, Mahomes and a long RB list before Thomas. Justin Jefferson, Calvin Ridley, Godwin, McLaurin, AJ Brown are in the Michael Thomas territory for me, especially if no Brees. Anyone that wants him before the 3rd round is welcome to him.

He didn't look good at all in almost any game. Didn't look fast, didn't look sharp and was barely open that I could see. I did miss some plays though. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Damn. You got it like that huh. I don’t think I know 1 surgeon, let alone multiples. What the heck are you doing here with us peasants. 

And F Sean Payton for having him out there when the game was decided and all the other backups were in.  

How it started: How it’s going:

Posted Images

12 hours ago, sdlengua said:

Picked up Thomas as second round value this year.

He didn't look good at all in almost any game. Didn't look fast, didn't look sharp and was barely open that I could see. I did miss some plays though. 

Thomas was not a second round value.  Due to injury, slow recovery, Brees's decline, or a combination of all of these factors and more, Thomas was just about 100% worthless in every game he played.

24 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Thomas was not a second round value.  Due to injury, slow recovery, Brees's decline, or a combination of all of these factors and more, Thomas was just about 100% worthless in every game he played.

Yup. And none of those things will be a factor next year. He has the full offseason to recover and Brees will be on a beach (or in a booth) somewhere. 

MT will end up getting drafted in the middle of the 3rd round, when he should get drafted at the end of the first. There is almost always one player who burns owners because of injuries, and then is discounted by 2 rounds the following season. I'm convinced that player is Thomas next year. 

• Like 1

Man, I will probably let someone else take that plunge.  If Taysom Hill is the Saints QB next season, even more troubling for Thomas's 2021 outlook.

11 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Man, I will probably let someone else take that plunge.  If Taysom Hill is the Saints QB next season, even more troubling for Thomas's 2021 outlook.

Basically this. Realistically, based on where his draft ADP will land, I want no part of him next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Same. If I miss out, I just miss out. 

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Not arguing your point at all, and maybe wrong thread to even bring this up but wondering if Kamara's stock takes a bigger hit?

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I mean, he got like 8 catches per start with Hill. It's a small sample size, but I'm pretty sure he's putting up another 120 catch season with any QB, if he's healthy. 

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

I mean, he got like 8 catches per start with Hill. It's a small sample size, but I'm pretty sure he's putting up another 120 catch season with any QB, if he's healthy. 

Exactly - in fact, he had 9 receptions in two of those four starts, and 8 in a third.  Even in their beat-down of DEN, Thomas still saw a 25% target share.

And he was playing all season with multiple torn ankle/foot ligaments that now require surgery.

Ignore this man next season at your own peril.

9 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Exactly - in fact, he had 9 receptions in two of those four starts, and 8 in a third.  Even in their beat-down of DEN, Thomas still saw a 25% target share.

And he was playing all season with multiple torn ankle/foot ligaments that now require surgery.

Ignore this man next season at your own peril.

Yup. Plus, he's 27. This isn't a 33 year old veteran who's going to fall off of a cliff. Nor is this a 23 year old without a long track record. This is a guy in his prime, who's put together season after season of high-end WR1 numbers, with multiple QBs. Unless you think he's *Groan* "injury prone", then there's no reason to think he won't be a high-end WR1 again. 

5 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Yup. Plus, he's 27. This isn't a 33 year old veteran who's going to fall off of a cliff. Nor is this a 23 year old without a long track record. This is a guy in his prime, who's put together season after season of high-end WR1 numbers, with multiple QBs. Unless you think he's *Groan* "injury prone", then there's no reason to think he won't be a high-end WR1 again. 

You post all of this without any regard to who his QB will be. You must really be a believer. 

If WInston is the QB I'm on board but I don't see that happening. Hill isn't going anywhere. What about if Joe Flacco signs there and they go with him - high-end WR1?

36 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

You post all of this without any regard to who his QB will be. You must really be a believer. 

If WInston is the QB I'm on board but I don't see that happening. Hill isn't going anywhere. What about if Joe Flacco signs there and they go with him - high-end WR1?

Scroll up.  I just posted that he averaged 8 catches a game with Hill this year. He was also the best WR in the NFL with Teddy Bridgewater. It would be better for him if the Saints got Watson or something, but MT is a WR1 with me at QB. 

• Like 1

Now Brees’s wife claims he played the whole season with both a torn rotator cuff and torn plantar fascia?  Leaving aside my refrain about dodgy injury reporting, if this is true, it further explains why Thomas underperformed when Brees was under center.

• Like 1

Brees is coming back next year. Hes thinking long and hard. He feels that this year he was cheated with injuries and wants to see how he feels in the next few months then make his dec then resulting as one more go!

11 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Brees is coming back next year. Hes thinking long and hard. He feels that this year he was cheated with injuries and wants to see how he feels in the next few months then make his dec then resulting as one more go!

I agree with this. I think it's 50/50 right now, and if he feels good in another month or two he may very well give it one more shot.

A healthy Kamara had a negative effect on Thomas’s production this season also.  Thomas’s record setting 2019 season was mainly a result of Kamara’s injuries.  2019 was the perfect storm for Thomas.

51 minutes ago, Kevrunner said:

A healthy Kamara had a negative effect on Thomas’s production this season also.  Thomas’s record setting 2019 season was mainly a result of Kamara’s injuries.  2019 was the perfect storm for Thomas.

I don’t think Kamara’s seeing 8 fewer targets than the year before (and three fewer than the year before that) - while catching exactly the same number of passes as he had the previous two years - accounted for a massive spike in Thomas’s receiving production.

35 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

140 receptions again in 2021?

I think 2019 was so insane in part because Kamara was injured for most of the season. With Brees or Hill I think Thomas gets 140 targets, sure, but not 140 rec. 

With Crablegs Winston... Maybe.

5 hours ago, Kevrunner said:

He had 125 receptions, 1400 yards, and 9 TDs in 2018. Kamara played 15 games in 2018.

So... no. 

10 hours ago, ajs723 said:

He had 125 receptions, 1400 yards, and 9 TDs in 2018. Kamara played 15 games in 2018.

So... no. 

That was with one of the most accurate passing QBs in history, so yes, it will be absolutely shocking if Thomas ever comes close to having a season close to his 2018 season.