NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dalvin Cook 2020 Outlook

Dalvin Cook: when he's on the field, he's awesome.

Dalvin Cook: He Can Shine - But Can He Stay On The Field? - Daily ...

When he's on the field, his stat in 2019 went up to 18/80/.9 plus 3.5/40 receiving, which makes for some very nice games in any format. The problem is of course that he only played 29 (regular season) games in the past 3 seasons. That's a lost of missed games, and you're still paying #5 pick for him according to the current (way too early) FantasyPro rankings - that's a bit rich for my taste.

In College he was a bit more durable (only 2 missed games), but his injury history makes you grimace just reading it:

- Shoulder Labrum Tear
- Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1
- Shoulder Labrum Tear
- Knee ACL Tear Grade 3
- Thigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1
- Thigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2
- Clavicle

Cook would play on the 4th year of his rookie contract in 2020, but generally an extension is expected, and the Vikings have more or less said so:

"We've always had history in the past of once we got through the draft, a lot of the extensions we've done, our philosophy has always been [that] hopefully we're drafting well enough that we reward our own players," general manager Rick Spielman said on ESPN's Spain and Company. "Dalvin Cook's a critical part of our offense and not only is he a great football player, but he's a great human being off the field on how he represents our organization out in the community. We'll see where that goes. I'm sure we'll be talking to his representatives here down the road as we get closer. A lot of our stuff has gotten done before we've headed into training camp. But we'll see how everything progresses."

Well. I guess they didn't actually say anything, but some kind of extension (in the 10M/year category) is expected.

It's not as if the Vikings have a lot of alternatives; Alexander Mattison had his own injury battles, Mike Boone was fine for a backup backup, but nothing spectaculair, and I'm going to assume Mike Zimmer will keep following the rush-first strategy that brought them to the divisional round, so IF Cook can stay healthy... then he'll bring a lot of points.

If.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Off the top of your head

Nothing wrong with not being a fan of Cook. The problem is when people make posts like this completely devoid of logic. You're mainly knocking Cook because of lack of track record. Yet you imply CEH(w

Just a few snippets (for fun) to remind you to always consider your source on the boards. Cook #1 OVERALL PPR non-QB, and won players a ton of cash. Well done Dalvin.

He was a beast last season, undoubted my best pick of the season, at the discounted rate. This season at a top 5 pick, I’d probably do it if I know I can get the cuffs. But then again, will he be sharing the touches? Would be smart for the coaches to do that to lessen his wears and tears. 

Heck what am I saying? If I have the number 5 pick this season, I’d be rostering Cook in all my leagues. Assuming it goes:

1.CMC

2. Saquon

3. Zek.

4. Can’t Stop Mike

5. Cook

Personally I’d put MT at 3, Cook at 4, and Zek at 5. 

Basically, you can’t go wrong if you have the top 5 pick this year. 

5 hours ago, ginocan said:

He was a beast last season, undoubted my best pick of the season, at the discounted rate. This season at a top 5 pick, I’d probably do it if I know I can get the cuffs. But then again, will he be sharing the touches? Would be smart for the coaches to do that to lessen his wears and tears. 

Heck what am I saying? If I have the number 5 pick this season, I’d be rostering Cook in all my leagues. Assuming it goes:

1.CMC

2. Saquon

3. Zek.

4. Can’t Stop Mike

5. Cook

Cook over Kamara? No thanks.

• Like 1

If I draft Cook , there’s a mandatory order to cuff him with Mattison. Did the same thing last year. Just to have the Minnesota RB’s sowed up. I would hate to land Cook, only to see his cuff sniped by someone else.  But that’s just me ... his injury history is very concerning , and this run game too potent, not to fully invest in this backfield. 

7 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Cook over Kamara? No thanks.

I had them both last season. And I can tell you, the frustrations of starting AK knowing MT will get all the yards and a backup QB will get all the rushing TDs will drive anyone crazy. And he was healthy so you gotta keep starting him. Nope. Not going down that path again. Not to derail the thread, so if you want we can discuss about AK values in his thread. 

But then again, I’m staying away from AK so there is really no points for me to discuss about him unless he magically falls out the first round. Which he won’t. If he is your target then I hope he will do better for you than he did for me. Fantasy football right you gotta love it. 

Got him last year in the early second and a friend sniped Mattison from me and I had to pay up to get him. Turned out to be a good trade for me in the end and not for him.

In general if Cook is picked by someone who is really iffy about his injury history it may be a good idea to snatch Mattison from him (of corse only if the draft falls that way, wouldn't reach too hard for him).

I'd take him over Kamara, too.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, ginocan said:

1.CMC

2. Saquon

3. Zek.

4. Can’t Stop Mike

5. Cook

CMC, Mahomes, Lamar, Barkley, Thomas can see that order going in my two leagues this year. 

6 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

CMC, Mahomes, Lamar, Barkley, Thomas can see that order going in my two leagues this year. 

That was for standard leagues. Yahoo Pro Leagues settings per se. 

In my 2 QBs Super Flex. Definitely Lamar and Mahomes flying off the shelves this season for sure. 

On 5/10/2020 at 10:43 PM, RunCMC said:

If I draft Cook , there’s a mandatory order to cuff him with Mattison. Did the same thing last year. Just to have the Minnesota RB’s sowed up. I would hate to land Cook, only to see his cuff sniped by someone else.  But that’s just me ... his injury history is very concerning , and this run game too potent, not to fully invest in this backfield. 

I agree Cook is a guy you must hand-cuff because of how often he gets injured, but we saw this actually play out last year and it did not work.  By the time Cook got his inevitable injury, Mattison was actually also hurt.  So the primary handcuff people used a draft pick on and used up a bench spot on all season, returned zero value, even when Cook got hurt.  Ok, no problem, just grab the next man up. Well now you're competing against everyone on the WW, and  I remember A LOT of people being disappointed in Mike Boone the week he got his start - week 16 championship game.

I'm with you - I'm a big believer in hand cuffing your top RB picks, but got to remember to keep the situation fluid and can't just bank on plug and play RBs to replicate your stud.  They're studs for a reason.  

9 hours ago, Fort4242 said:

I agree Cook is a guy you must hand-cuff because of how often he gets injured, but we saw this actually play out last year and it did not work.  By the time Cook got his inevitable injury, Mattison was actually also hurt.  So the primary handcuff people used a draft pick on and used up a bench spot on all season, returned zero value, even when Cook got hurt.  Ok, no problem, just grab the next man up. Well now you're competing against everyone on the WW, and  I remember A LOT of people being disappointed in Mike Boone the week he got his start - week 16 championship game.

I'm with you - I'm a big believer in hand cuffing your top RB picks, but got to remember to keep the situation fluid and can't just bank on plug and play RBs to replicate your stud.  They're studs for a reason.  

I was able to steal Mattison from a cuffer last year and literally traded him for the Bills defense, thought I was super smart grabbing Mike Boone for the Superbowl.

Turns out that wasn't smart at all.

• 3 weeks later...

There's gotta be one, every year, I guess.  Here's my question though- how the hell do you extend ANYONE right now if there's this very real possibility of a colossal decline in the salary cap next year?    

This might get a tad tricky? He is gonna want top3 type money, I would think?

But teams are really gonna be hard pressed to hand out that kinda cash after the disaster deal that the Rams gave Gurley and Dallas over paying for Zeke.

Then toss in the real likelihood that the cap with likely be -at best- flat next year...plus a loaded FA class next year too.

• Like 1

The list of RBS set to become UFAs after 2020 is loaded...

Derrick Henry - TEN/PITT/SEATTLE
Dalvin Cook - Jacksonville Jaguars
Leonard Fournette - San Diego chargers
Kenyan Drake - AZ
Todd Gurley - ATL or retired
Chris Carson - Houston or seattle
Aaron Jones - Miami dolphins
Marlon Mack - Coltsor jets
James Conner - Pittsburgh

Alvin Kamara - NO
Joe Mixon - CIN
Matt Breida - NE or Miami
James White - TB
Kareem Hunt - Seattle, Miami, tennessee
Damien Williamshttps://bit.ly/30lfxBi - Philly

Random guesses where I think they will go.

48 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

This might get a tad tricky? He is gonna want top3 type money, I would think?

But teams are really gonna be hard pressed to hand out that kinda cash after the disaster deal that the Rams gave Gurley and Dallas over paying for Zeke.

Then toss in the real likelihood that the cap with likely be -at best- flat next year...plus a loaded FA class next year too.

David Johnson's and Devonta Freeman's don't look good either, Bell and Gordon's holdouts didn't work that well either, although Bell did fleece the Jets. Of the last 11 Super Bowl Champions only 1 RB made a significant amount of money and that was because Russ was making $526,217 and they had a all time great defense. Hell of the last 11 Super Bowl Champion winning RB's only 3 were making 7 figures. It's unfair but it is a business and winning a super bowl is the goal I don't think Cook is gonna get a big payday.

18 minutes ago, turner46 said:

Super Bowl Champion winning RB's

I think it's good to remember that Superbowls are rarely won by a top-12 RB.

I totally understand why most (good) teams don't really value the position and prefer to pay them peanuts. I don't think it's fair given the risks they run, or the excitement they bring to the field, but business-wise, I get it.

I personally want Kamara to get paid. I will be upset if after throwing money at Hill, they won't give him a decent payday. But I also get why they probably won't.

• Like 1