NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dalvin Cook 2020 Outlook

Listened to the game on the Vikings Radio Network. I'm just posting what they were saying during the game. Since I did not see the game, I don't know if this is accurate or not.

Commentators said several times early in the game that Cook did not seem right. Body language and effort/reaction were not normal Cook.  And they were wondering if Cook was playing hurt.

The commentators were especially concerned on the screen pass that intercepted on the first play of the 2nd half for a Jaxs TD. Cook never looked for the ball and they said he was not even aware the ball had been intercepted until the Jaxs def guy was well on his way to a TD.

Fortunately the Jaxs Def was on the field for a big part of the game and wore down. So Dalvin became a lot more effective as the game went to overtime.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Off the top of your head

Nothing wrong with not being a fan of Cook. The problem is when people make posts like this completely devoid of logic. You're mainly knocking Cook because of lack of track record. Yet you imply CEH(w

Just a few snippets (for fun) to remind you to always consider your source on the boards. Cook #1 OVERALL PPR non-QB, and won players a ton of cash. Well done Dalvin.

13 minutes ago, rabaak said:

Listened to the game on the Vikings Radio Network. I'm just posting what they were saying during the game. Since I did not see the game, I don't know if this is accurate or not.

Commentators said several times early in the game that Cook did not seem right. Body language and effort/reaction were not normal Cook.  And they were wondering if Cook was playing hurt.

The commentators were especially concerned on the screen pass that intercepted on the first play of the 2nd half for a Jaxs TD. Cook never looked for the ball and they said he was not even aware the ball had been intercepted until the Jaxs def guy was well on his way to a TD.

Fortunately the Jaxs Def was on the field for a big part of the game and wore down. So Dalvin became a lot more effective as the game went to overtime.

Welp I watched the entire game. Those commentators must have been drinking.  He looked just fine. The screen was just miscommunication. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Welp I watched the entire game. Those commentators must have been drinking.  He looked just fine. The screen was just miscommunication. 

Yeah, for sure. He is elite at both making guys miss and breaking tackles...give the jags some credit they showed up and had guys all-around the LoS...but he was pretty close to himself, matchups don't matter with him--esp if Cousins can keep things honest. They just have to set up the run with the pass loosening things up from time to time (on early downs). That's all it takes for Dalvin to be insanely productive and pile up 3 TD games going forward.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, rabaak said:

The ball was thrown behind him and he didn't really have a play on it

8 minutes ago, rabaak said:

huh? He never sees the ball and by the time he registers what happens the defender is up to speed and 5 yards away from him. I'm sorry but he's getting 30 touches a game and running hard AF, dishing out punishment and taking it. Hell yeah let somebody else tackle that defender on the turnover. 

Cook looked fine. He is playing against defenses that are stacked up against him. Cousins and Thielen and Jefferson are succeeding because he's drawing so much attention. he was a bad hand off and a dumb false start penalty away from 2 1-yard touchdown plunges. Hopefully the passing game successes make it so defense can't focus so much on him. We'll see. Regardless it looks like he'll still get 25-30 touches a game.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, yossarian said:

huh? He never sees the ball and by the time he registers what happens the defender is up to speed and 5 yards away from him. I'm sorry but he's getting 30 touches a game and running hard AF, dishing out punishment and taking it. Hell yeah let somebody else tackle that defender on the turnover. 

Cook looked fine. He is playing against defenses that are stacked up against him. Cousins and Thielen and Jefferson are succeeding because he's drawing so much attention. he was a bad hand off and a dumb false start penalty away from 2 1-yard touchdown plunges. Hopefully the passing game successes make it so defense can't focus so much on him. We'll see. Regardless it looks like he'll still get 25-30 touches a game.

Looking at the Video more closely, I'm not sure what they were trying to do.

The center is out there to block, but he is quite a ways from Cook and closer to the sideline. Bradford can't be too much more downfield when the pass is thrown or he will be penalized.

So if they were running a screen, you would think that Bradford would be closer/ in front of Cook so he could block. And if they were running a screen, why isn't Cook looking for the ball.  Whatever they were trying to do, I don't think this is how they drew it up in the playbook.

I'm going to be interested in seeing an explanation from the Vikings on what was supposed to happen on that play. Whatever it was, it needs a lot of work.

7 minutes ago, rabaak said:

Looking at the Video more closely, I'm not sure what they were trying to do.

The center is out there to block, but he is quite a ways from Cook and closer to the sideline. Bradford can't be too much more downfield when the pass is thrown or he will be penalized.

So if they were running a screen, you would think that Bradford would be closer/ in front of Cook so he could block. And if they were running a screen, why isn't Cook looking for the ball.  Whatever they were trying to do, I don't think this is how they drew it up in the playbook.

I'm going to be interested in seeing an explanation from the Vikings on what was supposed to happen on that play. Whatever it was, it needs a lot of work.

I'm assuming it was a miscommunication. Somebody was running play A and somebody was running play B and it blew up in their faces. That or their was some read at the line or on the release that they didn't synch up on.

Edited by yossarian
  • Like 1

I am very worried about the matchup this week. Bucs haven't given up more than 89 yds rushing in a game all year and only 7 rushing TDs in 12 games. I know you never sit this guy, but I'm considering the unthinkable with James Robinson, Ekeler, and Montgomery also on my roster in 0.5 PPR. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MayorMcCheese said:

I am very worried about the matchup this week. Bucs haven't given up more than 89 yds rushing in a game all year and only 7 rushing TDs in 12 games. I know you never sit this guy, but I'm considering the unthinkable with James Robinson, Ekeler, and Montgomery also on my roster in 0.5 PPR. 

That’s how you lose in fantasy

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

110 total yards and a TD, not bad at all vs TB

Henry and Cook are currently in a tier of their own. There's really nothing to discuss here. You start Cook. In a 4 team start one RB league, you start Cook every week. He's a beast. The end. 

• Haha 1
On 12/14/2020 at 3:35 PM, Pooskay said:

That TB matchup everyone was dreading earlier in the season didn't look so bad afterall.

Hopefully, the same holds for CHI next week.

Has CHI remained stout  v RB recently??  Not benching Cook, just wondering what they’ve been like over the past few games.  I know they’re both bubble teams so it will be a battle.   

34 minutes ago, Cleanface said:

Has CHI remained stout  v RB recently??  Not benching Cook, just wondering what they’ve been like over the past few games.  I know they’re both bubble teams so it will be a battle.   

On the season they're 17th in rushing yards allowed (TB is #1). for the 3 weeks they're #20, so they are are not especially great against the run, bottom half even.

• Like 3

Some teams had success running on the Bears:

• GB - RBs went for 34 / 163
  • LAR - RBs went for 25 / 120
  • Cook had a decent game: 30 / 96
  • Derrick Henry got shut down: 21 / 68

Looking at the box scores, the most striking thing is the large number of attempts.  CHI is facing the 7th most carries.  Makes sense - the bad Bears offense produces positive game script for opponents.

The game is at 1:00, so good Kirk Cousins is likely to show up?

Edited by Nap Time
  • Like 1