NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Dalvin Cook 2020 Outlook

Boudewijn

What if the Vikings were to trade or release Everson Griffen?  Wouldn't that free up $$ ?  There has to be a way to get Dalvin his 13 million per year and move forward....hes a dynamic young RB.  Just needs to stay healthy bc when he is hes one of the best in the entire league. 

Just looking at this now....

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/minnesota-vikings/

Who the heck is Michael Pierce??!  Get rid of him and pay Dalvin!! Or get rid of Kyle Rudolph and roll with the young kid Irv Smith. There's ways this can get done that arent complicated.  

Edited by dorsett33

2 minutes ago, dorsett33 said:

What if the Vikings were to trade or release Everson Griffen?  Wouldn't that free up $$ ?  There has to be a way to get Dalvin his 13 million per year and move forward....hes a dynamic young RB.  Just needs to stay healthy bc when he is hes one of the best in the entire league. 

Griffen is a free agent.

23 minutes ago, dorsett33 said:

Just looking at this now....

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/minnesota-vikings/

Who the heck is Michael Pierce??!  Get rid of him and pay Dalvin!! Or get rid of Kyle Rudolph and roll with the young kid Irv Smith. There's ways this can get done that arent complicated.  

The Vikings want to win. Past superbowl winners only 1 of the past 11 had a high paid RB and it was on Russell Wilson's rookie contract so they could afford to. Last year only 2 of the top 10 paid RB's made the playoffs and both didn't play a single snap last year in Lamar Miller and Jerrick Mckinnon. Are you a Packer fan or even Lions or Bears fan just trying to sabotage the Vikings???

On 6/8/2020 at 5:06 PM, Rush2112 said:

Cook is on his way to becoming 2020's Bell. Have fun sitting out this entire year, see ya on a brand new team in 2021. 

Seems to remember you saying the same thing about Zeke and MG3.  Bell had some leverage as he could sit and not be under team control the next year.  Just like Zeke and MG3 he doesn't have that leverage and will play.

4 hours ago, youngrice said:

Seems to remember you saying the same thing about Zeke and MG3.  Bell had some leverage as he could sit and not be under team control the next year.  Just like Zeke and MG3 he doesn't have that leverage and will play.

It all depends where you can draft him. Zeke didn’t fall very far, but even if you were in the #5 hole and was able to snag him, that was a win considering you wouldn’t normally have had a shot. Too early to say when would be appropriate to draft Cook. We will have to see how hard each side digs their heels in and read some tea leaves. 

Zeke played because he got his deal. MG wasn't a guy you wanted to have at any point throughout the year.

Since it's highly unlikely Cook gets the money he wants, seems smart to fade him

Rush says many things. He never backs them up, and he also won't go into discussion. And also, sometimes he's right.

Must be wonderful to have no doubts.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The G Man said:

Yeah, that's big.  He's basically in Gordon's situation from last year with the added wrinkle that even if he reports somewhere between "after training camp" and "before week 10", he becomes a restricted FA next year (not good for him).  If he doesn't show up by week 10 he doesn't accrue a year and he is back to square one next season.  

So most likely a deal will get done, but for less than Cook is seeking.  He has no leverage, but we shall see. Gordon listened to some pretty stupid advisers last season.

5 hours ago, WEIL3R said:

Yeah, that's big.  He's basically in Gordon's situation from last year with the added wrinkle that even if he reports somewhere between "after training camp" and "before week 10", he becomes a restricted FA next year (not good for him).  If he doesn't show up by week 10 he doesn't accrue a year and he is back to square one next season.  

So most likely a deal will get done, but for less than Cook is seeking.  He has no leverage, but we shall see. Gordon listened to some pretty stupid advisers last season.

Are we assuming his agent and he weren’t familiar with the new CBA terms before making this decision, though?

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Are we assuming his agent and he weren’t familiar with the new CBA terms before making this decision, though?

I'm not assuming anything necessarily (Bell's agent had no plan to have Bell hold out the entire year even though it was widely reported that he could do so due to specific franchise tag rules, so sometimes agents aren't well informed).  I just think Cook would be making a big mistake if he doesn't report to training camp. He would lose the possibility of becoming an UFA.  As a RFA, the Vikings could put a 1st or 2nd round tender on him in 2021, meaning that if another team reached terms with Cook and the Vikings didn't want to match the offer, the Vikings would either get a 1st or 2nd round draft pick as compensation.  If no team is willing to pay that cost (of new contract and high draft pick), then the Vikings would get to keep him for another year at around $5 million or $3 million depending on whether he was tendered as a 1st or 2nd.  Those numbers are a fraction of the cost of a franchise tag.  So they would retain him at a bargain price.  I don't foresee anyone giving up a 1st or 2nd round pick for someone who held out (possibly up to nine weeks).  If he doesn't report by week 10, he's really screwed because he would start the next season under contract with the Vikings without accruing an additional year of eligibility. At least this is all my understanding of the situation after a little research.

That all being said, I think the Vikings like him and they will find some middle ground that is much closer to the Vikings initial reported offer of $10 million a year than what Cook wants.  

Edited by WEIL3R
  • Like 1

If I read it correctly, it’s saying he needs to report for training camp in order to accrue a year and become an unrestricted free agent, right? So really he has no leverage at all. 

44 minutes ago, CooL said:

If I read it correctly, it’s saying he needs to report for training camp in order to accrue a year and become an unrestricted free agent, right? So really he has no leverage at all. 

He has zero leverage. What would work for him is if the Vikings granted either his agent or himself to seek a trade. Not sure what type of market Cook could garner, but I doubt the Vikings would allow this option as their in a win now mode.

I haven’t read the relevant section of the CBA in full, but I don’t quite understand what would prevent a player from reporting to camp (to obtain the “Accrued Season”) and then just leaving and sitting out until later in the season.  I’m genuinely interested to hear if anyone has any opinions on that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

I haven’t read the relevant section of the CBA in full, but I don’t quite understand what would prevent a player from reporting to camp (to obtain the “Accrued Season”) and then just leaving and sitting out until later in the season.  I’m genuinely interested to hear if anyone has any opinions on that.

That's a good question.  I would think that kind of stuff is covered but I don't know.

Also, depending how vitriolic the situation is, I wonder if an RB could report to camp and then early in the season, say he's got some kind of pain in his shoulder or a tight hamstring or whatever. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, K197040 said:

That's a good question.  I would think that kind of stuff is covered but I don't know.

Also, depending how vitriolic the situation is, I wonder if an RB could report to camp and then early in the season, say he's got some kind of pain in his shoulder or a tight hamstring or whatever. 

Yep - seems like the language might leave some loopholes to be exploited.

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/NFLPA/CBA2020/NFL-NFLPA_CBA_March_5_2020.pdf

Section 1. Accrued Seasons Calculation:

(a) For the purposes of calculating Accrued Seasons under this Agreement, a player shall receive one Accrued Season for each season during which he was on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of six or more regular season games (which shall include any games encompassed in any injury settlement, injury grievance settlement or injury grievance award), but which, irrespective of the player’s pay status, shall not include games for which the player was on: (i) the Exempt Commissioner Permission List, (ii) the Reserve PUP List as a result of a nonfootball injury, or (iii) a Club’s Practice Squad.

(b) A player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in which the player is under contract to a Club and in which (i) he failed to report to the Club’s preseason training camp on that player’s mandatory reporting date; or (ii) the player thereafter failed to perform his contract services for the Club for a material period of time, unless he demonstrates to the Impartial Arbitrator extreme personal hardship causing such failure to report or perform, such as severe illness or death in the family. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be made within thirty days of the application by the player, and shall be based upon all information relating to such hardship submitted by such date. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be final and binding upon all parties.

I guess this means that if you pretend to have an owie, and they think you are pretending, then they'll find out. If it turns out you went rock climbing or banging the neighbour's missus during your absence, no luck.

• Like 1

Wow - that contract wording is awful.  Did a lawyer author that?!  Btw, is “material” even a defined term?  That language doesn’t even make sense logically.

Still seems like you could report, play six games or so, and still pass muster.

11 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Wow - that contract wording is awful.  Did a lawyer author that?!  

Try 50 lawyers - it's 480 pages of text and I'm sure they billed all of it at least double. I'm also sure very few people actually read it - except for the opposing team of lawyers.

All of this is carefully crafted to look nice, but be sufficiently meaningless that it will leave space for more litigation later on. 

7 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Try 50 lawyers - it's 480 pages of text and I'm sure they billed all of it at least double. I'm also sure very few people actually read it - except for the opposing team of lawyers.

All of this is carefully crafted to look nice, but be sufficiently meaningless that it will leave space for more litigation later on. 

Spot on, as always.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Wow - that contract wording is awful.  Did a lawyer author that?!  Btw, is “material” even a defined term?  That language doesn’t even make sense logically.

Still seems like you could report, play six games or so, and still pass muster.

Without reading the whole thing, it's impossible to say.   Normally they would define terms in the early pages with some like, "as to this agreement, the term, "materially" shall mean....."".

But as with any legal agreement, things arise that weren't anticipated at the time the original doc was written.  Which leads to loopholes.  Which leads to constant amendments to the original.  Unless both parties are happy with the ambiguity and think they can make it work in their favor.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

x2

Contract lawyers are happiest when things are convoluted and can't be fully understood by a regular person.   Job security.

Edited by K197040
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Holding out hope that we have a season start without a top 10 pick holding out for once...................but who the hell knows what's going on here.    Its not the worst idea to sit out camp just for health reasons i guess, but if Cook's planning to miss games and expecting a huge payday, good luck.  

12 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Holding out hope that we have a season start without a top 10 pick holding out for once...................but who the hell knows what's going on here.    Its not the worst idea to sit out camp just for health reasons i guess, but if Cook's planning to miss games and expecting a huge payday, good luck.  

He can NOT sit out camp. It will cost him way too much in fines (that are no longer forgivable) and will NOT accrue a year towards his impending FA.

His only move is reporting, laying low and then threatening or actually sitting out regular season games.