NBC Sports Edge Forums

Julio Jones 2020 Outlook

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For as long as I can remember, I've always touted the "You never sit your stars" train.

But this week, I'm actually pondering whether or not I want to sit Julio Jones.

- Julio is coming off a hamstring injury, one that has ravaged him all season and either limited or took him out of games.

- New Orleans defense is one of the best passing defenses in the game.

- Matt Ryan has looked like absolute crap over his past 5 or so games, even though the Falcons themselves have been playing much better.

[...]

What is everyone else doing?

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed assistant coach content
3 hours ago, CORTEz said:

For as long as I can remember, I've always touted the "You never sit your stars" train.

But this week, I'm actually pondering whether or not I want to sit Julio Jones.

- Julio is coming off a hamstring injury, one that has ravaged him all season and either limited or took him out of games.

- New Orleans defense is one of the best passing defenses in the game.

- Matt Ryan has looked like absolute crap over his past 5 or so games, even though the Falcons themselves have been playing much better.

[...]

What is everyone else doing?

I am a HUGE believer in the start your studs mentality. That said, there are a few key considerations here. The first of course being alternative options. The second being chance of in game aggravation. And the third, quite simply, how many games has he actually been a stud in recent memory? In your standard 10-12 team league I'd guess most teams have a WR right around 30 in the rankings that they'd be benching for Julio. 

Absolutely not worth it IMO. Far too great a chance Julio can't finish the game, and also a reasonable chance a WR in that 30-35 range just straight outscored Julio anyway. If I needed to win this week to make the playoffs I'd only be starting Julio over WRs outside the top 35-40. 

not sitting this guy for anyone outside of the top 10.  

“For me, I’m so competitive that I always want to go and to keep pushing,” Jones said. “But sometimes I need to chill and get completely healthy so it doesn’t linger and I’m missing game after game after game. At this point right now, the hamstring is behind me. I’m healthy, and I’m ready to go.”

https://epaper.ajc.com/popovers/dynamic_article_popover.aspx?artguid=d5e04c7c-e2b3-496d-b7f9-f8816908225c&utm_source=app.pagesuite&utm_medium=app-interaction&utm_campaign=pagesuite-epaper-ipad_share-article&appid=2870

Edited by herschel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't have Julio on any teams but I would start him if news continues to indicate his hamstring injury is in fact behind him. There is the risk of re-aggravation.

But I don't think they would put him out there as a decoy and risk injury that way. Plus I feel the Saints would identify quickly if he was a decoy.

Despite a terrible start; the Falcons have won 3 of 4 and are within 2 games of the wild card. A win today and a Cardinals loss puts them within 1. So there is something to play for but there schedule is brutal the rest of the way. 

• Like 1

I've been managing Julio all year and normally yes I always start him if he can go. This is the first week I think I'm going to sit him. If you have a wr3 type player in your bench could be an option. Julio might come out early in this one. But who knows! Lol

3 hours ago, 24/7fantasysports said:

I don't have Julio on any teams but I would start him if news continues to indicate his hamstring injury is in fact behind him. There is the risk of re-aggravation.

But I don't think they would put him out there as a decoy and risk injury that way. Plus I feel the Saints would identify quickly if he was a decoy.

Despite a terrible start; the Falcons have won 3 of 4 and are within 2 games of the wild card. A win today and a Cardinals loss puts them within 1. So there is something to play for but there schedule is brutal the rest of the way. 

Which is exactly why they would throw him out there as a decoy.

7 hours ago, wahoos1 said:

Benching for Deebo 😟

Hope that works out. Never understood why people bench their studs. Idc if they're coming off injuries or not. I benched someone once years and years ago and it was the worst feeling watching them beast on the bench. Hopefully deebo gets you a TD plus some to out produce Julio

On 12/6/2020 at 6:36 PM, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

Hope that works out. Never understood why people bench their studs. Idc if they're coming off injuries or not. I benched someone once years and years ago and it was the worst feeling watching them beast on the bench. Hopefully deebo gets you a TD plus some to out produce Julio

I saw the game last Sunday (as well as several other Atlanta games this year) and he re aggravated the hamstring and came out the game. He did go back in after a series or two but he was un effective. Most of his production was before re aggravating that hammy. You basically gotta hold your breath after every play with this guy. If you have a good option I wouldn't fault you for rolling with that option. 

Edited by Cdub2k
12 minutes ago, King Gonzo said:

When did he re-aggravate his hamstring injury? Only thing I have seen is him tweaking his knee and coming out for a series.

I guess tweaking was the right term to use. He constantly "tweaks" and walks off the field gingerly. He'll miss a series or two. It's a bit stressful to watch. I might just have a different perspective since I watch a lot of their games every week. It's the same story every week

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

I guess tweaking was the right term to use. He constantly "tweaks" and walks off the field gingerly. He'll miss a series or two. It's a bit stressful to watch. I might just have a different perspective since I watch a lot of their games every week. It's the same story every week

Seriously this. I only watch RedZone, but I swear every time they cut to a Falcons game, it's either to show Julio limping off after a play, Ridley catching a touchdown, Ryan getting sacked, or Koo doing his thing.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RoseLin23 said:

Seriously this. I only watch RedZone, but I swear every time they cut to a Falcons game, it's either to show Julio limping off after a play, Ridley catching a touchdown, Ryan getting sacked, or Koo doing his thing.

You’re not lying. I’ve seen the Falcons play a few times, and it seems like Julio re-aggravates something every drive and he has to take plays off. It’s so frustrating and he will forever be a DND for me.

If this were any other player, we’d be talking about how terrible the numbers are and we’d probably be benching him by now.

1 hour ago, RoseLin23 said:

This is very true. Its actually comical unless you own him. It's like owners have to hold their breath every time he gets tackled.

At the end of day, Julio is still Julio and Julio is due.

Edited by nonstopfan