Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Diontae Johnson 2020 Outlook


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah of course! Here's the tweet from Brooke Pryor:   Ben said it in today's press conference at 10:42 min.  

This guy is facinating. The Steelers had a 1st round grade on him coming out of Toledo when they drafted him #66 overall. As a rookie, he led all NFL wide receivers in separation yards (2.39) and

Posted Images

On 10/6/2020 at 8:21 PM, RunCMC said:

Fyi Darius Slay should be covering James Washington.

Nickey Robey Coleman will be on JuJu

& Jalens Mills on our boy Diontae.

But this isn’t a 100% guaranteed 

It’s possible that Slay will shadow Johnson, and it’s also possible that Claypool will play ahead of Washington this week. But I think both of those are unlikely.

Slay tailed Terry McLaurin and A.J. Green in Weeks 1 and 3, but he has yet to shadow a smaller, shiftier receiver since joining the Eagles.

And Claypool received so much playing time in Week 3 primarily because Johnson was out.

I expect Slay will stick at left corner, where Washington will be the receiver he faces the most.

In the middle of a bounceback campaign, Slay has allowed only 7.0 yards per target this year and is yet to forfeit a touchdown.

 

 

 

what you think of this quote? should i not second guess it? 

 

Diontae Johnson: The good news is that he won’t wind up missing a game due to the concussion he suffered in Week 3. The bad news is that he’ll return to a matchup with Darius Slay in Week 5. Johnson had a massive 31.5 percent target share in the first two weeks, only to be knocked out of the Week 3 game early, and then go on bye in Week 4. I’d be tempted to tell you to go and buy him low, but you might be able to get him cheaper after this game. Slay is a top-tier cornerback and has lived up to his reputation with the Eagles to this point. He’s allowed a 68.1 percent catch-rate, but those top receivers he’s covered (Terry McLaurin, Robert Woods, A.J. Green) have averaged just 10.1 yards per reception and haven’t scored a touchdown. With the other starter (Avonte Maddox) out, the Steelers may decide to attack other plus-matchups around the field. Still, Johnson deserves consideration as a WR3 with how much he’s been targeted early-on with Roethlisberger, but his matchup is tough this week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, brosephd said:

 

 

what you think of this quote? should i not second guess it? 

 

Diontae Johnson: The good news is that he won’t wind up missing a game due to the concussion he suffered in Week 3. The bad news is that he’ll return to a matchup with Darius Slay in Week 5. Johnson had a massive 31.5 percent target share in the first two weeks, only to be knocked out of the Week 3 game early, and then go on bye in Week 4. I’d be tempted to tell you to go and buy him low, but you might be able to get him cheaper after this game. Slay is a top-tier cornerback and has lived up to his reputation with the Eagles to this point. He’s allowed a 68.1 percent catch-rate, but those top receivers he’s covered (Terry McLaurin, Robert Woods, A.J. Green) have averaged just 10.1 yards per reception and haven’t scored a touchdown. With the other starter (Avonte Maddox) out, the Steelers may decide to attack other plus-matchups around the field. Still, Johnson deserves consideration as a WR3 with how much he’s been targeted early-on with Roethlisberger, but his matchup is tough this week.


I like how they’re using Slay shutting down AJ Green as evidence of dominance.  
 

do not second guess it, Diontae should be in your starting lineup.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, brosephd said:

 

 

what you think of this quote? should i not second guess it? 

 

Diontae Johnson: The good news is that he won’t wind up missing a game due to the concussion he suffered in Week 3. The bad news is that he’ll return to a matchup with Darius Slay in Week 5. Johnson had a massive 31.5 percent target share in the first two weeks, only to be knocked out of the Week 3 game early, and then go on bye in Week 4. I’d be tempted to tell you to go and buy him low, but you might be able to get him cheaper after this game. Slay is a top-tier cornerback and has lived up to his reputation with the Eagles to this point. He’s allowed a 68.1 percent catch-rate, but those top receivers he’s covered (Terry McLaurin, Robert Woods, A.J. Green) have averaged just 10.1 yards per reception and haven’t scored a touchdown. With the other starter (Avonte Maddox) out, the Steelers may decide to attack other plus-matchups around the field. Still, Johnson deserves consideration as a WR3 with how much he’s been targeted early-on with Roethlisberger, but his matchup is tough this week.

spacer.png

Edited by Gootz
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, brosephd said:

 

 

what you think of this quote? should i not second guess it? 

 

Diontae Johnson: The good news is that he won’t wind up missing a game due to the concussion he suffered in Week 3. The bad news is that he’ll return to a matchup with Darius Slay in Week 5. Johnson had a massive 31.5 percent target share in the first two weeks, only to be knocked out of the Week 3 game early, and then go on bye in Week 4. I’d be tempted to tell you to go and buy him low, but you might be able to get him cheaper after this game. Slay is a top-tier cornerback and has lived up to his reputation with the Eagles to this point. He’s allowed a 68.1 percent catch-rate, but those top receivers he’s covered (Terry McLaurin, Robert Woods, A.J. Green) have averaged just 10.1 yards per reception and haven’t scored a touchdown. With the other starter (Avonte Maddox) out, the Steelers may decide to attack other plus-matchups around the field. Still, Johnson deserves consideration as a WR3 with how much he’s been targeted early-on with Roethlisberger, but his matchup is tough this week.

 

I'm not absolutely sure what will happen, maybe a bit of both. Pretty sure regardless we're all starting him 

But from that quote, those are bad examples besides Terry.  AJ Green is washed up and Woods isn't an elite WR imo 

We got to remember that JuJu still commands attention, even out the slot.

I don't think the #1 priority of a defense is to stop Diontae Johnson, as good as he is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Just to clarify. To me Diontae Johnson is essentially Stefon Diggs on the Steelers with Big Ben. This boy is going to eat all year. Buy low now before it's too late.

Attaguy.  
 

hope you’re right 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jujus-jujubees said:

 

Averaging 8.3 targets over three games, and that includes the game he left mid-second quarter with a concussion. 

Nothing like one stat to tell you all u need to know.   
 

promising start-  he needs to stay healthy and continue to outscore juju.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StevenSC400 said:

He was basically a waiver wire add. Most leagues only need to play 2 WR. There’s lots of options out there for a #2.

How you acquire a player doesn't determine their ranking.  i.e. James Robinson

I have him slotted as a high-end WR2 so would be a must start for me but just my opinion.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Languistic01 said:

How you acquire a player doesn't determine their ranking.  i.e. James Robinson

I have him slotted as a high-end WR2 so would be a must start for me but just my opinion.

Completely fair.   
must start is one of those fuzzy definitions.   I have it as any player inside the top 12 at his position.  So DJ is not that...but he could become that.  Once you get to the wr2s/3s it becomes more variable weekly and fluid based on matchups.   

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Languistic01 said:

How you acquire a player doesn't determine their ranking.  i.e. James Robinson

I have him slotted as a high-end WR2 so would be a must start for me but just my opinion.

I didn’t mention him as a waiver add to determine his ranking. I did it because people already drafted WR 2s in the draft. So he is basically a freebie. My point is there’s lots of options for a #2 WR. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, beerfish said:

Waivers? Really?

I drafted him in the 10th round.

Same here.  Earlier in a few places.  
 

he did reference a 2 wr league so that plus 10 teams and I could see DJ being real late or undrafted  

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Same here.  Earlier in a few places.  
 

he did reference a 2 wr league so that plus 10 teams and I could see DJ being real late or undrafted  

 

I'm in a 2WR league and I still drafted him in the 10th round 😂

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So I just looked up his ADP on fantasy pros his ADP was 115. WR 46. In ten team leagues even with 4 WR on the roster he wouldn’t make the cut. Like me personally I go super RB heavy every year. I never draft more than 4 WRs in leagues where you only start 2 WRs. But always try to carry like 6-8 RBs. RBs are gold. Any week you could pick up a WR off waivers and get lucky with a good game. You can’t do that with RBs. If you don’t have any good ones your season is pretty much over before it even started.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

So I just looked up his ADP on fantasy pros his ADP was 115. WR 46. In ten team leagues even with 4 WR on the roster he wouldn’t make the cut. Like me personally I go super RB heavy every year. I never draft more than 4 WRs in leagues where you only start 2 WRs. But always try to carry like 6-8 RBs. RBs are gold. Any week you could pick up a WR off waivers and get lucky with a good game. You can’t do that with RBs. If you don’t have any good ones your season is pretty much over before it even started.

 

Not trying to be argumentative but he was drafted in most leagues.

I remember from start of the season even his ownership % on Yahoo was quite high.

I play 10ers , we start 3WR , 2RB, 1TE, 1 Flex.  

Standard league I drafted him 9th round,  90th overall.

Half-PPR I grabbed him 12th round, 119th overall. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Nothing like one stat to tell you all u need to know.   
 

promising start-  he needs to stay healthy and continue to outscore juju.   

 

I hear ya, but what would almost certainly amount to an average of 10 targets a game without that second-quarter exit would push him into Top 10 in targets among WRs. Sure, small samples size - and I'm not saying he's blowing up every week - but he seems to at least have a shot to put up big numbers on a consistent basis. (again, seems, it's early, but I'm buying it.) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...