NBC Sports Edge Forums

Diontae Johnson 2020 Outlook

25 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

I just don't see it.

Max 2 go off any given week.  

This defense is too good, nor do I think Big Ben can support 3 wideouts consistently.

Claypool doesn't need many targets to make an impact. If he gets 5 he'll do something big. 

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah of course! Here's the tweet from Brooke Pryor:   Ben said it in today's press conference at 10:42 min.  

This guy is facinating. The Steelers had a 1st round grade on him coming out of Toledo when they drafted him #66 overall. As a rookie, he led all NFL wide receivers in separation yards (2.39) and

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Kaii23 said:

Claypool doesn't need many targets to make an impact. If he gets 5 he'll do something big. 

Still too many mouths to feed. Not to mention Conner & the running game are very solid.

Diontae, Claypool, then JuJu I feel most confident in, that exact order.

All we really need is to watch tomorrows game and maybe next weeks. Most if not all our questions will have been answered. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

Still too many mouths to feed. Not to mention Conner & the running game are very solid.

Diontae, Claypool, then JuJu I feel most confident in, that exact order.

All we really need is to watch tomorrows game and maybe next weeks. Most if not all our questions will have been answered. 

so if you owned both you would start DJ or Claypool? I really find that hard to do right now based on DJs injury streak and the hot streak claypool has been on

17 minutes ago, Power-O said:

so if you owned both you would start DJ or Claypool? I really find that hard to do right now based on DJs injury streak and the hot streak claypool has been on

Ohh no, never. Way too riskyyyyy.

Either start DJ, or neither one. That would be my advice.

At least for this week, until we get a better grasp on the Steeler's WR hierarchy. 

Edited by RunCMC
Mods please don't delete. Not an A/C question, just showing value between 2 said players. 
15 minutes ago, Power-O said:

I think if you factor in the risk of leaving a game early with injury and the risk that Johnson gets eased in a bit his first week back, you could easily put Claypool ahead of Dionte for tomorrow. I would.  No one in their right minds thinks Claypoool will disappear.  I’d probably put Claypool ahead of Johnson ROS.  They just find ways to use him, including red zone carries.  That is a pretty rare combination.  But in PPR I still see great production from Johnson.

12 minutes ago, FeastMode said:

I think if you factor in the risk of leaving a game early with injury and the risk that Johnson gets eased in a bit his first week back, you could easily put Claypool ahead of Dionte for tomorrow. I would.  No one in their right minds thinks Claypoool will disappear.  I’d probably put Claypool ahead of Johnson ROS.  They just find ways to use him, including red zone carries.  That is a pretty rare combination.  But in PPR I still see great production from Johnson.

I would definitely put Claypool ahead of Johnson.  Claypool can have a productive day on minimal targets with his play style plus that goal line end around doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon.  Johnson needs a bigger target share to have a good day.  And that's why I think his performance going forward will be more boom or bust.  If Johnson gets the looks one game he could blow up, but then next game maybe he has a tough matchup and those looks go to Juju.  

I'd go Claypool / Johnson / Juju.  Reality is every week 2 of the 3 will probably do well and the other will not.

5 minutes ago, Michael Bluth said:

I have juju and Johnson and am benching both this week. I’d rather start neither than the wrong one 

Gotta live a little, don't live in fear.  I'd go Johnson this week but mostly on a quick scan of Titans games, looks like the outside WRs have done well against them, case in point last week Fuller and Cooks did great and Cobb was barely involved.  But who knows.

Edited by Illusion_J
  • Like 1

I would not “definitely” put Claypool ahead of Johnson. The problem with a lack of targets is that an off pass on one target and then a great defensive play on another can lead to a 2-30-0 day. Until Claypool starts seeing more targets, I’d be nervous about playing him at all. I’d be nervous about playing Diontae because he hasn’t been able to stay healthy. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

I would not “definitely” put Claypool ahead of Johnson. The problem with a lack of targets is that an off pass on one target and then a great defensive play on another can lead to a 2-30-0 day. Until Claypool starts seeing more targets, I’d be nervous about playing him at all. I’d be nervous about playing Diontae because he hasn’t been able to stay healthy. 

Realistically the pecking order going into the season will hold true... Juju and dj will be the top targets ROS while Claypool will be boom or bust big play dependent. Claypool and dj are clearly the top two wrs talent wise but I don't see them completely demoting juju to 3rd option. They'll let juju walk after this season or they'll trade him this season. But as long as he's on the team he'll be top two in the pecking order. Imo 

Edited by Kaii23

I own both DJ and Claypool in 1 league due to WR depth I can avoid both this week to see how things shake out now that you have juju, dj and Claypool active on a potential shoot out im sure both dj and Claypool have a safe floor but with Claypool having the higher big play upside and hot streak i would probably lean more on Claypool.

will be interesting how the target share shakes out tomorrow and what to expect moving forward.

11 hours ago, Kaii23 said:

Realistically the pecking order going into the season will hold true... Juju and dj will be the top targets ROS while Claypool will be boom or bust big play dependent. Claypool and dj are clearly the top two wrs talent wise but I don't see them completely demoting juju to 3rd option. They'll let juju walk after this season or they'll trade him this season. But as long as he's on the team he'll be top two in the pecking order. Imo 

Nah, the reality of it all is that Juju is not as rounded as a WR, he has some gd qualities as a run blocker and a great team player but Juju’s role is very evident thus far and that will be playing his role as is for ROS, he will get the scraps when their available and possibly have a decent  game here and there, sorta like what James Washington had last week. Juju can’t get the separation like Clay and DJ can, Big Ben needs to release quick he’s not gonna be sitting back there waiting for Juju to finally get open and risk an injury that would devastate the team. Diontae will eat but I see him being eased in and his duties scaled back because he just can’t handle an Alpha Role with all these injuries piling up. Anyone saying Claypool will be 2nd and 3rd fiddle ROS or telling others to be nervous playing him are insane and giving bad advice, 🤫

Claypool>DJ...>Washington>Juju

Edited by Tomei7
12 hours ago, Kaii23 said:

Juju never has been and never will be a WR1 on his team. He got 160 targets from a HOF QB without ever seeing top corners and couldn’t finish top-5 that year. At least 40 WRs would have finished better given that opportunity. Laughable that anyone thought he’d be elite without AB propping him up.

Claypool is the real deal.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Juju never has been and never will be a WR1 on his team. He got 160 targets from a HOF QB without ever seeing top corners and couldn’t finish top-5 that year. At least 40 WRs would have finished better given that opportunity. Laughable that anyone thought he’d be elite without AB propping him up.

Claypool is the real deal.

If being the "real deal" requires so much negativitity against another guy, maybe you aren't the "real deal" ??

3 hours ago, MrCantaloupe said:

If being the "real deal" requires so much negativitity against another guy, maybe you aren't the "real deal" ??

Either you can handle the truth, or you can’t. Facts are facts.

Action Network's review of Pitt / Tenn WR /CB match up. The number is the expectation of performance out of three...Higher is better. FWIW don't shoot the messenger!

LWR PIT Diontae Johnson 2 RCB TEN Malcolm Butler
SWR PIT JuJu Smith-Schuster 0 SCB TEN Kristian Fulton
RWR PIT Chase Claypool 0 LCB TEN Johnathan Joseph
5 minutes ago, mar1kle said:

Action Network's review of Pitt / Tenn WR /CB match up. The number is the expectation of performance out of three...Higher is better. FWIW don't shoot the messenger!

The messenger always gets shot. 

Shooting the Messenger - The Detail

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
40 minutes ago, mar1kle said:

Claypool vs old man Jonathan Joseph is a zero? Lol doesn’t sound right.

57 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

Claypool vs old man Jonathan Joseph is a zero? Lol doesn’t sound right.

Yeah I was somewhat surprised when I heard Jonathan Joseph was still playing. I remember I wanted the Chiefs to draft him back in ‘97. 

I’m being hyperbolic obviously. But he’s one of those physical corners who can still get by on technique even if he’s lost a step. 

I honestly don’t see a situation where DJ doesn’t have a great game today. Barring injury of course which has been an issue and something we can’t predict. I’m having a real hard time keeping him on my bench but I figure I’ll see how everything plays out with Pitts offense at full strength. The dude gets open and the Steelers are implied ~28 points today last time I checked. I can easily see 80 and a TD. Also teams have been targeting Malcom Butler this year with relative success. 

• Like 2

Or

Just now, TeflonDonNewcombe said:

Yeah I was somewhat surprised when I heard Jonathan Joseph was still playing. I remember I wanted the Chiefs to draft him back in ‘97. 

I’m being hyperbolic obviously. But he’s one of those physical corners who can still get by on technique even if he’s lost a step. 

I honestly don’t see a situation where DJ doesn’t have a great game today. Barring injury of course which has been an issue and something we can’t predict. I’m having a real hard time keeping him on my bench but I figure I’ll see how everything plays out with Pitts offense at full strength. The dude gets open and the Steelers are implied ~28 points today last time I checked. I can easily see 80 and a TD. Also teams have been targeting Malcom Butler this year with relative success. 

I picked up DJ off waivers and am playing him over ARob. Down after TNF and need to find some updside.

I think I'm going to roll with him over other guys who are a tier above him but have a bad matchup this week like CeeDee.  Simply because I think this game has a chance to be pretty high scoring with Pitt down a few key guys on D and the efficiency of the Tenn offense, combined with the ineptitude of the Tenn D particularly against outside recievers.  I won't be surprised if he throws up another donut though.