NBC Sports Edge Forums

Diontae Johnson 2020 Outlook

Low floor, high ceiling. Maddening. Lots of weapons on the team.

But he's still emerging. I think if you can exercise some patience, he will continue to grow and be more consistently productive. Just his second year with, what 8 total games with Ben?

Think he'll be fine ROS. But as a weekly Flex or a WR2. Can't expect WR1 at the moment.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah of course! Here's the tweet from Brooke Pryor:   Ben said it in today's press conference at 10:42 min.  

This guy is facinating. The Steelers had a 1st round grade on him coming out of Toledo when they drafted him #66 overall. As a rookie, he led all NFL wide receivers in separation yards (2.39) and

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, leebattle said:

But he's still emerging. I think if you can exercise some patience, he will continue to grow and be more consistently productive. Just his second year with, what 8 total games with Ben?

Think he'll be fine ROS. But as a weekly Flex or a WR2. Can't expect WR1 at the moment.

It is clear he is the most talented WR on their team and they just faced BAL. Id be buying low with the upcoming schedule

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, JacobThunder15 said:

It is clear he is the most talented WR on their team and they just faced BAL. Id be buying low with the upcoming schedule

No, it's not. Also he got injured again in the time it took you to type this post

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Gandalfthecat said:

And Claypool. 

The idea that this guy is their WR1, something that was floating around the internet a lot, is a complete sham. For one, he's just too small. Is what it is

He may have some days, but there are three legitimate wrs on this team, plus conner, plus Ebron. 

The Steelers are going to blow the cowboys away next week, especially, if God Forbid, the Nooch starts for them. Will they even need to throw second half? 

I fear DJ was a sell high. 

AB is the same height and weighs only 2 lbs more than this guy, I don't buy that.

Either he isn't currently who people thought he was, or he's just not that good at playing with injuries.  At the rate he's picking up these small injuries, neither one of these outcomes make it easy to start him right now.

[...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed assistant coach content
49 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

The injury concerns are a thing, but he is the number 1 here and its obvious. 

I mean, you're sort of right. He was the number one in week 8. In the sense that he produced one fantasy point. 

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, leebattle said:

Low doesn't even begin to describe his floor. Unless you're in dire straights, I can't imagine how any fantasy owner can afford to play a guy who might:

1) Get injured during the game (higher chance than most)

or

2) Net you exactly one fantasy point. 

There are EASILY 30 WRs I would play over Johnson on a week to week basis.

Edited by jmcampbe11
  • Like 2
57 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I'll see everyone next week once he puts up a great game again. Over reaction central in here. Can really only base him off the 4 games he has fully played. 3 of the 4 he has over 10 targets I believe.

Last three times I started him he put up goose eggs (Weeks 3, 5 & 8).  I hope you’re right, because this is no way to live.  

5 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Unless you're in dire straights

Nice, I’m adding this one to the list.  I’ll tell you what.  If Johnson doesn’t start putting up point totals north of zero, I’m either going to end up in Alcoholics Unanimous, or in a padded room wearing a stray jacket.

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Nice, I’m adding this one to the list.  I’ll tell you what.  If Johnson doesn’t start putting up point totals north of zero, I’m either going to end up in Alcoholics Unanimous, or in a padded room wearing a stray jacket.

Don’t you think you’re being a little bit of a pre Madonna right now?

Edited by FeastMode
  • Like 1
36 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Last three times I started him he put up goose eggs (Weeks 3, 5 & 8).  I hope you’re right, because this is no way to live.  

I mean if you want to penalize him for getting injured be my guest. When he is healthy he generally performs 🤷‍♂️. This is the first game the target share or performance has been in question w health. He did aggravate his hamstring, but returned. No idea how much that actually played a role.

If he's fully healthy you gotta put him in unless he you have high end alternative options. I get the injuries have put a bad taste in people's mouth. But I am in no shape or form doubting his ability to be a performer in fantasy. 

• Like 1

WR1 on the team. Start him when healthy. 

It just sucks that in the games he got hurt, he dropped a 0 before he left. That **** stings, but I am riding with the talent. 

Besides, my real want is him to put together a consistent stretch for 4-5 weeks in the latter half of the year/playoff time. He's a motherf***ing BEAST. 

I'm going to wait until he can roll out back to back weeks where he's healthy and productive. His season has been so bizarre, unless you are in a deep league it's probably not worth the risk until there's some consistency. 

1 hour ago, ygung said:

AB is the same height and weighs only 2 lbs more than this guy, I don't buy that.

AB was the exception, not the rule. The constant injuries that DJ seems to be getting would indicate he isn't well-suited to heavy workloads.

2 hours ago, JacobThunder15 said:

I don't think this is even remotely clear, just compare what DJ did in his rookie season vs. what Chase Claypool is doing right now.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, trilly said:

AB was the exception, not the rule. The constant injuries that DJ seems to be getting would indicate he isn't well-suited to heavy workloads.

I don't think this is even remotely clear, just compare what DJ did in his rookie season vs. what Chase Claypool is doing right now.

I agree with this logic. Throw in Juju’s larger sample size of being the #1 and you have muddy waters at best. 

2 minutes ago, trilly said:

Big Ben vs Rudolph/Duck Hodges?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

You might be onto something. Maybe the Steelers need to put Johnson in a straight jacket in between snaps to, you know, to protect him from himself. Because I'm beginning to wonder if he just breaks mirrors for fun and has a dozen black house cats. 

36 minutes ago, trilly said:

??? Compare James Robinson to Leonard Fornette, compare Godwin 2 years ago to Godwin last year, that comparison is like saying water is wet. DJ is the most talented WR right now on this team. Claypool could get there and be their stud next season, but as of now DJ is the man

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

??? Compare James Robinson to Leonard Fornette, compare Godwin 2 years ago to Godwin last year, that comparison is like saying water is wet. DJ is the most talented WR right now on this team. Claypool could get there and be their stud next season, but as of now DJ is the man

No idea how your other comparisons are relevant, but if you want to compare this year, Claypool has vastly outperformed DJ with less opportunities. Talent doesn't change, production does. I don't think it's at all settled that DJ is the most talented WR on the roster.

• Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, trilly said:

Uhh Roethlisberger was out the entire season last year. Claypool is the better physical specimen and Johnson the better route runner. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, trilly said:

No idea how your other comparisons are relevant, but if you want to compare this year, Claypool has vastly outperformed DJ with less opportunities. Talent doesn't change, production does. I don't think it's at all settled that DJ is the most talented WR on the roster.

The person below me explained the comparison better than I, but youre comparing 2 completely different seasons to now. Juju was better than both of them 3 years ago. Man what a hot take