NBC Sports Edge Forums

Diontae Johnson 2020 Outlook

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah of course! Here's the tweet from Brooke Pryor:   Ben said it in today's press conference at 10:42 min.  

This guy is facinating. The Steelers had a 1st round grade on him coming out of Toledo when they drafted him #66 overall. As a rookie, he led all NFL wide receivers in separation yards (2.39) and

Posted Images

Bad news: He was benched.

Good news: He's the most elusive receiver on the team and one of the most elusive receivers in the NFL as a whole. In this offense, with all of the quick strikes, this is extremely important. There is a danger that he can be benched again but against the Bengals, you have to start him. I don't believe he had a drop after he returned to the game in the second half. 

Like I said in the game thread, if he is who we think he is, he'll take that benching and work even harder and start performing up to his capabilities. This offense is sputtering and they need some Dionte infusion.

I think we'll just have to monitor this week and hope we hear some positive coach speak from the practices.

He caught all three targets after coming back into the game, but I simply don't have a lot of confidence in him not being benched again in the next two games. He's had awful drops every week, and it's obviously starting to wear thin with Tomlin. It doesn't matter what you can do with the ball if the HC and QB don't get it to you because they're not sure you can actually catch it. 

Maybe the benching gets his attention...maybe. Or maybe he drops the first ball thrown to him against Cincy and never sees the field again. 

Personally I think they need him out there to move the ball.  Running is basically not an option, JuJu's doing ok but he alone can't get it done.  Claypool doesn't seem to be getting open, and Washington is a home run now and then but not a chain mover.   

think he'll end up back in his role in the next game, but I could just be wishfully thinking here because i'm going to need him.   

3 minutes ago, noles1983 said:

Starting him no question. I don't have another receiver capable of receiving 13+ targets in a game. Ride or die. 

Yeah, same here. He's a must start for me because of the lack of options I have, but I'm feeling rather uneasy about it. I just hope there's more riding and no dying. Lol!

• Haha 3

Steelers know this guy is a big part of their future. They’re not trying to destroy his career. They’re trying to send a message to everyone and trying to get the kid to realize what a big deal this is for him.  I think the message was received and they’ll spend the week building his confidence for a big game next week.

52 minutes ago, cheezor42 said:

Steelers know this guy is a big part of their future. They’re not trying to destroy his career. They’re trying to send a message to everyone and trying to get the kid to realize what a big deal this is for him.  I think the message was received and they’ll spend the week building his confidence for a big game next week.

I think that's probably the case here. 

On the other hand:

• Like 1

Can't remember where I read it, but I think he's officially been credited with 7 drops out of his last 32 targets, which is embarassingly bad. I'm stating the obvious, but he's gotta get his drops down to 0 or else the team will bring them down to 0.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, trilly said:

Can't remember where I read it, but I think he's officially been credited with 7 drops out of his last 32 targets, which is embarassingly bad. I'm stating the obvious, but he's gotta get his drops down to 0 or else the team will bring them down to 0.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/14/jalen-hurts-eagles-nfl-week-14-fmia-peter-king/

Week 14: 20 Thoughts

1. There’s enough wrong with the Steelers this morning, but those drops? Just insane. Diontae Johnson is the league leader (by far) with 12, and think of this craziness: In the last three years, Kyle Rudolph, in 45 games, has one drop in 167 targets. In the last three games, Johnson has seven drops in 32 targets. I’m amazed Ben Roethlisberger went to Johnson four more times after his second drop Sunday night.

• Thanks 1

In a game where they probably won’t need him (CIN all-around sucks)...why would they reward him with playing time and targets?

This feels like a “get the ground game right” type of game. Ben is not going to need to do much. Steelers defense might score all the points. Or do they go to him a ton after they’re up and try to get HIM right?
Going to be really hard to trust this guy next week. 

Edited by MBarbarian
  • Haha 2
39 minutes ago, MBarbarian said:

In a game where they probably won’t need him (CIN all-around sucks)...why would they reward him with playing time and targets?

This feels like a “get the ground game right” type of game. Ben is not going to need to do much. Steelers defense might score all the points. Or do they go to him a ton after they’re up and try to get HIM right?

What a out this Steelers team the last several weeks makes you think they can handle Bengals without Johnson? Not like they are gonna run the ball.

2 hours ago, MBarbarian said:

First, there’s no “won’t need him” game in the NFL. Second, it wouldn’t be a reward. It would be taking an opportunity to try to get him and his mental side right and his confidence up. Three, he’s a playmaker, and you get your playmakers the ball. 

4 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

First, there’s no “won’t need him” game in the NFL. Second, it wouldn’t be a reward. It would be taking an opportunity to try to get him and his mental side right and his confidence up. Three, he’s a playmaker, and you get your playmakers the ball. 

Yeah what better game than vs the bengals to try and get him back on track.

3 minutes ago, trolltoll said:

Yeah what better game than vs the bengals to try and get him back on track.

They’ll take what the Bengals give. Hopefully Diontae gets open and actually holds onto balls this week. 

The Bengals aren’t good, but “any given Sunday”.