NBC Sports Edge Forums

Diontae Johnson 2020 Outlook

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah of course! Here's the tweet from Brooke Pryor:   Ben said it in today's press conference at 10:42 min.  

This guy is facinating. The Steelers had a 1st round grade on him coming out of Toledo when they drafted him #66 overall. As a rookie, he led all NFL wide receivers in separation yards (2.39) and

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Dr. Strangeglove said:

On the bright side, he did have a season high 116 yards and a TD vs Cinn in the first matchup 5 weeks ago.  

In my experience, that sort of stats are usually meaningless for the second encounter. If anything, the opposing defense is now warned and won't get roasted again.

Then again, it's the Bungles. 👻

Edited by Boudewijn

Looking back at that week 10 game vs. CIN, the Steelers had nothing going on the ground.  They led the whole game and won 36-10, but Ben kept throwing through the 4th quarter and ended up with 4 TDs.  The Steelers still can't run the ball and the Bengals are still terrible on defense, so maybe we see a repeat of this game script?

Over the four games though, Ben has thrown 7 touchdowns to 5 interceptions. So...now the Steelers can't run or pass???

image.png.9a00da204b4e0c07751ea2008f9636a6.png

Clean slate it seems. Probably starting him now after this -

WED, DEC 16, 5:55 PMROTOWIRE.COM

Coach Mike Tomlin said Wednesday that he intends to give Johnson a clean slate after the wideout logged three drops during Sunday's loss to the Bills, Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports.

Spin: Tomlin said Johnson "responded appropriately" to being benched in the first half, saying "we will move forward." However, Tomlin also noted that "one of the ways you help a young man work through [issues] is to reduce his number of snaps" when talking about Chase Claypool, a hint that while Johnson's playing time doesn't seem to be in jeopardy for Monday's upcoming tilt in Cincinnati, the Steelers could consider a change if drops continue to be a problem.

If they continue their quick pass offense do to lack of running game they need Diontae to run it effectively. They will feed him! Lets hope he doesn’t drop any of the first few or it will be ugly. I am fairly confident he produces 15+ points in my ppr. We’ll see🤷🏻‍♂️

He was an absolute target hog this year and paid dividends from his 8th-9th round ADP.

Looking forward to 2021, could see him being initially slotted in as a 4th rounder. Big questions to be answered:

- Does Ben finally call it a career? On record, he said that his plan is to play next season. His accuracy/arm looked abysmal during their 3-game skid, but had a good outing yesterday. I think their playoff performance will be telling of his future.

- With JuJu set to become an UFA and most likely gone, does this hurt DJ in terms of heightened coverage?  

- Can he address his drop woes? Through Week 16, he leads the league in dropped passes at 9 and was benched for several egregious drops against BUF two weeks ago. Following the benching, he turned it around with two solid games but an overall 60% catch rate through Week 16 isn't exactly stellar. He and the JUGS machine should become close friends this offseason. 

8 minutes ago, FlashGordon401 said:

He was an absolute target hog this year and paid dividends from his 8th-9th round ADP.

Looking forward to 2021, could see him being initially slotted in as a 4th rounder. Big questions to be answered:

- Does Ben finally call it a career? On record, he said that his plan is to play next season. His accuracy/arm looked abysmal during their 3-game skid, but had a good outing yesterday. I think their playoff performance will be telling of his future.

- With JuJu set to become an UFA and most likely gone, does this hurt DJ in terms of heightened coverage?  

- Can he address his drop woes? Through Week 16, he leads the league in dropped passes at 9 and was benched for several egregious drops against BUF two weeks ago. Following the benching, he turned it around with two solid games but an overall 60% catch rate through Week 16 isn't exactly stellar. He and the JUGS machine should become close friends this offseason. 

Ben said he's coming back so that seems likely.

Not worried about JuJu leaving at all. Claypool will probably end up drawing the #1 corners and Washington is no slouch and can slide into the #3 role.

He obviously has to address the drops.  He seems to have responded well to the benching, finished well and has the whole offseason to work on it.

His tendency to get injured is a concern and hopefully that doesn't become an ongoing trend.

• 2 weeks later...

As a keeper owner of Diontae, he was ranked 22nd in our PPR league.  I'm planning on keeping him - is it crazy to think, over a full healthy year, with JuJu gone he can crack the top 12 and become a WR1 next year?

32 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

As a keeper owner of Diontae, he was ranked 22nd in our PPR league.  I'm planning on keeping him - is it crazy to think, over a full healthy year, with JuJu gone he can crack the top 12 and become a WR1 next year?

Tbh, I think JuJu and Diontae need each other in the passing game. I wouldn’t assume that Diontae will have some big jump if JJSS goes elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Tbh, I think JuJu and Diontae need each other in the passing game. I wouldn’t assume that Diontae will have some big jump if JJSS goes elsewhere. 

agree, hard to have a big jump from 14 targets per game...however he may have less of those bizarre dud games?  He had an oddly high number of just complete disappearing acts that might get smoothed out without JuJu.