NBC Sports Edge Forums

D.K. Metcalf 2020 Outlook

57 minutes ago, CroNY said:

Don’t get me wrong I’m not hating it’s just becoming annoying that being said he’s insanely talented. The stiff arm got more coverage than the drop meanwhile if he catches that ball the Giants probably lose, that being said I’m grateful and I’ll take the win lol. Your point is spot on though in regards to the media leaching onto certain players. 

If he caught that ball, really don’t understand why you would think the Giants probably lose.  Just 2 plays later, Chris Carson caught a 28 yard TD.  

• Like 2
  • Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best part of this for me was how Russ repeatedly went his way when the game was on the line and in critical downs.  Normally he’s got his long bomb or two a game and that’s that.  He’s the unquest

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Kevrunner said:

If he caught that ball, really don’t understand why you would think the Giants probably lose.  Just 2 plays later, Chris Carson caught a 28 yard TD.  

My mistake , I mixed up the plays regardless another egregious drop. Thanks for the correction game was a blur. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Kevrunner said:

Most of Metcalf drops are because he’s trying to run before he catches the ball.   He doesn’t watch the ball all the way in before he turns his head to run.  This is fixable.

His hands are pretty bad, can it be totally fixed probably not you either have good hands or you don’t in most cases. Unless I’m hallucinating I feel like a lot of his downfield catches are against his body even not so much high pointing the ball. Regardless of that fact he’s a stud still, I think where most people have a problem or annoyance is when the media or anyone thinks he’s in a Calvin Johnson or Julios class which he is not, many are not which is ok. Like I don’t need to see Metcalf v Calvin two year stat comps it’s a ridiculous comparison. As his route running is still very robotic and his hands are suspect still. Regardless of this he’s very good. 

Edited by CroNY
16 minutes ago, CroNY said:

His hands are pretty bad, can it be totally fixed probably not you either have good hands or you don’t in most cases. Unless I’m hallucinating I feel like a lot of his downfield catches are against his body even not so much high pointing the ball. Regardless of that fact he’s a stud still, I think where most people have a problem or annoyance is when the media or anyone thinks he’s in a Calvin Johnson or Julios class which he is not, many are not which is ok. Like I don’t need to see Metcalf v Calvin two year stat comps it’s a ridiculous comparison. As his route running is still very robotic and his hands are suspect still. Regardless of this he’s very good. 

Most of his drops would be catches if he just watched the ball all the way in.  Look at the drop yesterday, he turns his head before the ball is in his hands.  He did the exact thing 2 weeks ago when he dropped a pass crossing over the middle.  Fix that and his drops will be greatly reduced.   He clearly isn’t in the same class as Julio, who happens to be one of the greatest WR of all time, but I’ve seen Julio drop quite a few passes over his career.  I’ll just disagree with you when you say DK has pretty bad hands. 

18 minutes ago, Kevrunner said:

Most of his drops would be catches if he just watched the ball all the way in.  Look at the drop yesterday, he turns his head before the ball is in his hands.  He did the exact thing 2 weeks ago when he dropped a pass crossing over the middle.  Fix that and his drops will be greatly reduced.   He clearly isn’t in the same class as Julio, who happens to be one of the greatest WR of all time, but I’ve seen Julio drop quite a few passes over his career.  I’ll just disagree with you when you say DK has pretty bad hands. 

This assessment is very sound and accurate imo.  This failure to look balls all the way in, and mis-timed jumps, seems to cover pretty much every one of his drops that I've seen.  And on the flip side, he makes some very difficult catches routinely, including game winning catches in crunch time that he's made this year.  His dropsies seem to be the most correctable kind and will probably be a big focus in the offseason for him.  It's definitely frustrating how many yards he's left on the turf this year cause of mental errors, which are what these are, so I also fully get the criticism.

• Like 1
On 12/7/2020 at 11:53 AM, Gmen07 said:

Yep, it was the agility drill. I think Tom Brady recorded a quicker time. That definitely scared some scouts off. 

And the injuries.  Including a serious neck injury that almost ended his career.   Lost most of his junior and senior seasons.  
There were brilliant moments though-  where you could see his potential for greatness.    

Not overly worried about the drops...it’s a concentration issue more than anything.    Top 5 or 10 wr for the next decade 

On 12/7/2020 at 1:53 PM, Gmen07 said:

Yep, it was the agility drill. I think Tom Brady recorded a quicker time. That definitely scared some scouts off. 

This was literally the dumbest criticism of him, anyone who criticized him obviously didn't watch it because he stumbled and didn't run it cleanly at all, it wasn't a measure of his athleticism the least bit.

12 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

This was literally the dumbest criticism of him, anyone who criticized him obviously didn't watch it because he stumbled and didn't run it cleanly at all, it wasn't a measure of his athleticism the least bit.

Agree, I seriously doubt any organisation would make a decision based on that, and it was also not the criticism of Metcalf before the draft. Rather, people criticised him for mediocre or bad route running. He used mostly his strength and size in College to get great YAC, a strategy that usually doesn't work at all in the NFL.

Except he's managed to fix the route running to some extent and he actually does quite well against NFL defenders. Well done Seahawks for taking that gamble and making it work.

22 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Agree, I seriously doubt any organisation would make a decision based on that, and it was also not the criticism of Metcalf before the draft. Rather, people criticised him for mediocre or bad route running. He used mostly his strength and size in College to get great YAC, a strategy that usually doesn't work at all in the NFL.

Except he's managed to fix the route running to some extent and he actually does quite well against NFL defenders. Well done Seahawks for taking that gamble and making it work.

Dude i don't know what planet you are living on but he got eviscerated for his 3 cone on the interwebs and the pundits.

7 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Dude i don't know what planet you are living on but he got eviscerated for his 3 cone on the interwebs and the pundits.

Boude lives, literally, on the other side of the planet of us. Despite that, he does very well and is well informed. 

Now, there was actually a lot of hype on him at the time... if you followed the draft. Which was why there was so much surprise in him falling. Considered top high end wr athlete in the class. 

But let’s let history be rewritten and all. At the time he was considered a big fall and it was very surprising and disappointing to him and to anyone following the draft.  

46 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

On the Interwebs and the pundits. What I said was:

23 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I seriously doubt any organisation would make a decision based on that

The argument I was trying to make (as was the person I reacted to) was that a scout (not a couch potato like you and me) would (or at least should) know better. They watch all the games, and they will know pretty much before the combine how they rank a player. As indication of this, there is a very low correlation of how players do in the combine and how they're drafted.

1 hour ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Boude lives, literally, on the other side of the planet of us. Despite that, he does very well and is well informed. 

You’re telling me he lives in.....Canada?

Gross...

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, BrianM said:
  1. JJ Arcega Whiteside, Parris Campbell, and Andy Isabella all a few picks before.   

To be fair to all those picks, including Harry...There's no GTD that DK grows the same way he has if he isn't with the competent coaching staff that he's with.  He's come a long way in two years and quality coaching has to be given it's due.  I'm not sure who their WR coach is but he probably deserves a lot of the credit. 

2 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Now, there was actually a lot of hype on him at the time... if you followed the draft. Which was why there was so much surprise in him falling. Considered top high end wr athlete in the class. 

But let’s let history be rewritten and all. At the time he was considered a big fall and it was very surprising and disappointing to him and to anyone following the draft.  

Yeah remember a bunch of hype behind him.  But I don't think that many were surprised he dropped to second round.  The only people that were surprised was ESPN(in my opinion)  The guy is a freak but his top college season was under 700 yds.  Which threw teams off.  Saying nothing bad about him.  WIsh NIners drafted him.  He is TO without the attitude.

43 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Yeah remember a bunch of hype behind him.  But I don't think that many were surprised he dropped to second round.  The only people that were surprised was ESPN(in my opinion)  The guy is a freak but his top college season was under 700 yds.  Which threw teams off.  Saying nothing bad about him.  WIsh NIners drafted him.  He is TO without the attitude.

It wasn’t a surprise. 

It was an absolute shocker. 

NFL.com had him projected as #15 overall.

CBS, Business Insider and Bleacher Report all had him at #22 overall. The lowest I saw him was USA Today at #29 overall. 

19 minutes ago, Asian Sensation said:

It wasn’t a surprise. 

It was an absolute shocker. 

NFL.com had him projected as #15 overall.

CBS, Business Insider and Bleacher Report all had him at #22 overall. The lowest I saw him was USA Today at #29 overall. 

Shocked a guy with limited college play went in the second round??  I wouldn't of been surprised if he went in first and wasn't surprised he went in second.  Lots of question marks.  Huge win for Seattle guy is next TO. Without the mental issues

Edited by youngrice
18 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Shocked a guy with limited college play went in the second round??  I wouldn't of been surprised if he went in first and wasn't surprised he went in second.  Lots of question marks.  Huge win for Seattle guy is next TO. Without the mental issues

Often times scouts are making a projection of what the player could become over an NFL career against pro talent. Not just what they accomplished in college. How many times have we seen a guys stock sky rocket or tank based on a simple 40 time? In addition to that scouts are looking at size, athleticism, raw talent, hand size etc. and what they could potentially develop him into. For DK these numbers/intangibles were off the charts. 

If it was only or heavily based off of College stats and the level of competition against .... then a guy like Dede Westbrook for example should/would have been gone in the 1st round not 4th. 

9 hours ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

To be fair to all those picks, including Harry...There's no GTD that DK grows the same way he has if he isn't with the competent coaching staff that he's with.  He's come a long way in two years and quality coaching has to be given it's due.  I'm not sure who their WR coach is but he probably deserves a lot of the credit. 

True enough.  Another thing people don't call out as much, because of DK's explosion, is Diontae Johnson and McLaurin both going in the third.  A lot of big hits and misses thusfar at that position.    These last two seasons alone are basically an entire new generation of NFL receivers.  

8 hours ago, BrianM said:

True enough.  Another thing people don't call out as much, because of DK's explosion, is Diontae Johnson and McLaurin both going in the third.  A lot of big hits and misses thusfar at that position.    These last two seasons alone are basically an entire new generation of NFL receivers.  

And this upcoming draft is supposed to be very receiver friendly as well. 

• Like 1