Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dwayne Haskins 2020 Outlook


Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Yeah... nah. There is a certain point where "yeah but I didn't know that" is not an excuse, especially when:

- you've been in a similar position (ie in the limelight and a leader of your team) for years
- there's plenty alternatives who can do your job without ff-ing up that much
- you get paid millions.

The buck stops here. If you can't take the responsibility, then you shouldn't be in a position of responsibility, and I fully applaud the WTF firing him.

I empathize with the kid, God knows I made some poor decisions when I was younger. But at the end of the day Terry McLaurin got it right. It's a privilege to play football in the NFL. Nothing is given to you and you have to earn everything. So far Haskins hasn't put in the work and needs a major attitude adjustment if he's going to turn things around. He's got tremendous arm Talent I think Rivera even said as much but Haskins needs to grow up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dwayne might suck at football, but he got paid.

Posted Images

If a defensive tackle or a wide receiver (WRs are mostly thought of as insane anyway, especially the elite guys) had done this, it would be one thing.  But if the quarterback gives off the vibe that he doesn't care how the team does, that guy is always going to be canned.  The leader needs to be pristine.  If you want to be an eccentric or a weirdo you have to keep that under wraps until you are a big star and the team has to explain it away as a "quirk."

Some of you may not be old enough to remember this but this reminds me of when Billy Joe Hobert was a backup and "didn't read the playbook."  He didn't last long in the league after that.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think this guy is a talented QB, he just has to grow up, and fast.

He's 23 years old, and he's played a total of 13 games. That's less than a season. He's basically still a rookie. 

He's 3-10, and has completed just over 60% of his passes for 12 TDs and 14 picks. That sounds like pretty standard rookie numbers. He's also been on a heinous offense. In his final game with Washington, his top 3 WRs were all undrafted JAGs. 

Some other QBs drafted into really bad situations.

Matt Stafford went 2-8, completing just 53% of his passes for 12 TDs and 20 interceptions. 

Jared Goff was 0-7 his rookie year, completing less than 55% of his passes for 5 TDs, and 7 picks. 

Josh Allen was 5-6, completing only 52% of his passes with 10 TDs, and 12 picks. 

In his second year, Drew Lock is 4-8, completing 57% of his passes with 14 TDs and 15 interceptions.

 

The attitude is the problem. If Haskins was a hard worker, and nice guy, he'd be the unquestioned starter for Washington for the foreseeable future. Either he matures and has a career in the NFL, or no one is going to want anything to do with him. It's that simple. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, dsrich said:

Clown. Another bust OSU QB. Soon fields will join that list.

 

One would think that between this clown and the collapse of sCam Newton at age 31, no team in their right mind would draft a running QB from Ohio State, knowing at best you need to look for one again after 7-8 years. Jax got lucky. They won't make that mistake. They get Lawrence. Leave it to Detroit to make it. It's coming. Fields or Lance is in their future cause they are really stupid. Belichick won't make the mistake. He just got a bad taste in incompetent running QBs. feel bad for Arthur Blank, he will probably hire an idiot who will take one of those 2 as well. We know Shanahan wont and Rivera won't. They, along with Belichick, will be fighting for Wilson from BYU.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, FavreCo said:

 

One would think that between this clown and the collapse of sCam Newton at age 31, no team in their right mind would draft a running QB from Ohio State, knowing at best you need to look for one again after 7-8 years. Jax got lucky. They won't make that mistake. They get Lawrence. Leave it to Detroit to make it. It's coming. Fields or Lance is in their future cause they are really stupid. Belichick won't make the mistake. He just got a bad taste in incompetent running QBs. feel bad for Arthur Blank, he will probably hire an idiot who will take one of those 2 as well. We know Shanahan wont and Rivera won't. They, along with Belichick, will be fighting for Wilson from BYU.

Haskins is not a running QB!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FavreCo said:

 

One would think that between this clown and the collapse of sCam Newton at age 31, no team in their right mind would draft a running QB from Ohio State, knowing at best you need to look for one again after 7-8 years. Jax got lucky. They won't make that mistake. They get Lawrence. Leave it to Detroit to make it. It's coming. Fields or Lance is in their future cause they are really stupid. Belichick won't make the mistake. He just got a bad taste in incompetent running QBs. feel bad for Arthur Blank, he will probably hire an idiot who will take one of those 2 as well. We know Shanahan wont and Rivera won't. They, along with Belichick, will be fighting for Wilson from BYU.

 

27 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Haskins is not a running QB!

Newton isn't from Ohio State!

Edited by ccimore
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

According to this "the TEAM" (this name is so damn stupid I just can't...) will go after their money on his contract, as they should. 

I was not aware that WAS would be on the hook for his contract even if no one claimed him on waivers, but reading the article they are trying to get out of the guarantees. So it appears, unless I'm misunderstanding, his next stop will be on a new, much less lucrative deal while he fights in court to get the actual big money.

That sounds like a major distraction for a dude who has problems concentrating. 

All that said - at that NEW price he'll be fetching - there is no doubt in my mind he will get another chance somewhere. He is a skilled player, although he was terribly raw coming out of school. Whoever takes a chance on him should have a bona fide "QB whisperer" (Arians? Payton? McDaniels?) type-guy to get this kid right. 

Cam Newton is probably the closest comparison I can make to Haskins, from what little I saw from him in college. He was really only active for about 1 full season of games there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pikerbkb said:

Haskins does well when he doesn't need to put touch on the ball. He excels with power throws/linear throws.

Really would do well in a West Coast ball control offense with short and intermediate routes.

 

These two things don't go together.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

According to this "the TEAM" (this name is so damn stupid I just can't...)

 

What I hate is how the NFL/media changed their 3-letter abbreviation from WAS to WFT just to rub it in our faces that the team name is being dropped.  No matter what the team name is, WAS is the proper abbreviation.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pikerbkb said:

[...] nothing I said was false at the time. He was a good leader in college by all accounts. But hey, wouldn't be the first time money and fame side-tracked a young athlete. 

"Haskins does well when he doesn't need to put touch on the ball. He excels with power throws/linear throws. Deep out, deep slants and crossers, seam routes."

I'm not sure if this was really true. As a WFT fan I saw plenty of Haskins and he hasn't been able to make NFL throws consistently, including the kind you mentioned. He made his hay in one season at Ohio State where he was throwing to guys running free. I'd have to go back and break down OSU tape to know for sure if he displayed any ability to hit tight windows or make difficult throws but many college QBs looked great in prolific college offenses then face planted in the NFL where WRs are rarely running wide open and I think Haskins will be one of those guys. 

Edited by owenmills
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Nap Time said:

 

These two things don't go together.

 

I think there's a lot of confusion on what Haskins can do because most of us simply DON'T KNOW. We'd all have to sit down and watch his HS tape. He barely played at OSU. 

One poster said here he's "not a running QB" - could have fooled me. He's very mobile at the very least, for his size - enough to be a problem I'd say. 

I compared him to Newton - which is a favorable comparison, because Haskins is nowhere close to accurate as Newton at least through 2 years.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I think there's a lot of confusion on what Haskins can do because most of us simply DON'T KNOW. We'd all have to sit down and watch his HS tape. He barely played at OSU. 

One poster said here he's "not a running QB" - could have fooled me. He's very mobile at the very least, for his size - enough to be a problem I'd say

I compared him to Newton - which is a favorable comparison, because Haskins is nowhere close to accurate as Newton at least through 2 years.

Have you watched him play much? His mobility is not a problem for defenses at all. Average at best. Comparing him to Newton is crazy

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, owenmills said:

Have you watched him play much? 

Actually no, as I just finished explaining. He's barely played for the "FOOTBALL TEAM" and when he has it's been awful. That is why he is cut now, as I hear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SuperJoint said:

Actually no, as I just finished explaining. He's barely played for the "FOOTBALL TEAM" and when he has it's been awful. That is why he is cut now, as I hear.

Oh, confusing because your proclamation he's pretty mobile and then comparing him to Newton led me to believe you've been watching him

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, owenmills said:

Oh, confusing because your proclamation he's pretty mobile and then comparing him to Newton led me to believe you've been watching him

And the answer to that would be yes, I saw him play in 2018. With his 50/8 TD/INT rate and 4 additional rushing TDs I considered him to be what we call "skilled" (see above for quote).

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

And the answer to that would be yes, I saw him play in 2018. With his 50/8 TD/INT rate and 4 additional rushing TDs I considered him to be what we call "skilled" (see above for quote).

79 carries for 108 yards and 4 TDs across 14 games. Basically all of it came in one game against Maryland(15-59-3). Outside of that he did absolutely nothing in terms of rushing. I'd say the guy really doesn't offer much in terms of stressing a defense with his mobility. Again, the Newton comparison is absolutely nuts

Edited by owenmills
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, owenmills said:

79 carries for 108 yards and 4 TDs across 14 games. Basically all of it came in one game against Maryland(15-59-3). Outside of that he did absolutely nothing in terms of rushing. I'd say the guy really doesn't offer much in terms of stressing a defense with his mobility. Again, the Newton comparison is absolutely nuts

All I'm saying is he's not a lost cause just yet. That's all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SuperJoint said:

All I'm saying is he's not a lost cause just yet. That's all.

He's been 2 years in the league; he didn't wow anyone with his results, or his skills, or his work ethic, or his leadership. All he has is a deep ball, and I doubt that's enough for a team to really invest in him.

He might be signed to a practice squad near you, and to be clear, I'd absolutely hope he grabs a chance if he gets it. I've been young and stupid and I've been fired, so yeah. But I don't rate his chances high, and (because we're discussing this on a fantasy forum) if I get him offered in a trade, I'll probably say no.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2020 at 8:44 PM, owenmills said:

79 carries for 108 yards and 4 TDs across 14 games. Basically all of it came in one game against Maryland(15-59-3). Outside of that he did absolutely nothing in terms of rushing. I'd say the guy really doesn't offer much in terms of stressing a defense with his mobility. Again, the Newton comparison is absolutely nuts

He had above average running ability in college, OSU just didn’t need him to do it.  The stats don’t look great, but remember that sacks are counted as negative rushing plays in college, so qbs with no mobility have big negative rushing stats for a year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, he's never going to live up to his first round status.  He's had several chances to show what he can do and he's fallen flat on his face.  Compound this with the displays of immaturity and being a poor teammate, and that's all she wrote.  He's a selfish immature kid that puts himself before the team, and that's just never going to cut it in the professional league.  Maybe he was BMOC at OSU, but brah, this isn't OSU.

What's happened so far this year for him?

Benched for poor play.

Got to play again due to injury and celebrated gleefully his 300 yards in the locker room after the team had just lost.

Tried to put a family member at the team hotel.  Come on man, how much money you make?  You can't pay for them to be at the Ritz or something?

Strippers.

Lost captaincy.

Played again due to injury and was awful again.

Allegedly refused to talk to reporters and went home.  Then had to Zoom from his home, presumably the team officials made him do it?  Appears downtrodden and dejected on interview.  A little unclear about this but it's still a bad look.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CooL said:

Unfortunately, he's never going to live up to his first round status.  He's had several chances to show what he can do and he's fallen flat on his face.  Compound this with the displays of immaturity and being a poor teammate, and that's all she wrote.  He's a selfish immature kid that puts himself before the team, and that's just never going to cut it in the professional league.  Maybe he was BMOC at OSU, but brah, this isn't OSU.

What's happened so far this year for him?

Benched for poor play.

Got to play again due to injury and celebrated gleefully his 300 yards in the locker room after the team had just lost.

Tried to put a family member at the team hotel.  Come on man, how much money you make?  You can't pay for them to be at the Ritz or something?

Strippers.

Lost captaincy.

Played again due to injury and was awful again.

Allegedly refused to talk to reporters and went home.  Then had to Zoom from his home, presumably the team officials made him do it?  Appears downtrodden and dejected on interview.  A little unclear about this but it's still a bad look.  

 

While I agree in full with this sad assessment, I’ll just note it seems like he was informed he wouldn’t even be needed for the customary “starter’s interview” post-game.  Yikes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2020 at 6:18 PM, owenmills said:

"Haskins does well when he doesn't need to put touch on the ball. He excels with power throws/linear throws. Deep out, deep slants and crossers, seam routes."

I'm not sure if this was really true. As a WFT fan I saw plenty of Haskins and he hasn't been able to make NFL throws consistently, including the kind you mentioned. He made his hay in one season at Ohio State where he was throwing to guys running free. I'd have to go back and break down OSU tape to know for sure if he displayed any ability to hit tight windows or make difficult throws but many college QBs looked great in prolific college offenses then face planted in the NFL where WRs are rarely running wide open and I think Haskins will be one of those guys. 

That's a great take and I'd have to agree with a lot of it. But I think it was widely known he was a project as far as honing his craft. However I don't think anybody was aware of the immaturity issues that apparently intensified once Haskins got paid. As it turned out getting drafted in the first round was the worst thing for him. 

Watching the pre-draft scouting pieces on him, he was very impressive, especially in the film room, listening to him sit there with Mariucci and Gruden dissecting plays and defenses like a coach.

Just listening to him talk now he just comes off like a very talented, but coddled star who is having a difficult time with the step up to the pros. He mentions that last week on the WTF football team as being "the most difficult time in my life". If that was his worst life experience it just goes to show how little adversity he's faced. Doesn't sound like he has fully grasped that all of his problems are self inflicted and the great opportunity he has in front of him. He can overcome some of his accuracy issues with hard work and practice. All of his problems are in his head. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2020 at 7:52 PM, ajs723 said:

Haskins is not a running QB!

Exactly. He had ZERO chance of being good in even one game, in the NFL. That made it an even bigger blunder.

Edited by FavreCo
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Just signed with the Steelers. Literally can't think of a better landing spot, other than maybe Indy. He has nothing but an old, deteriorating QB in front of him, good offense, great coach, no young guys to threaten him. He could realistically start for the Steelers in 2021, or at least be the direct backup to Big Ben, if he even comes back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...