NBC Sports EDGE Forums

D.J. Chark 2020 Outlook

Boudewijn

7 hours ago, BIGFATPANDA said:

Did he look healthy?

Yup. He looked great, made some great catches, Minshew was zoned in on him in the red zone too. 

This is the Chark we drafted... and to be honest minus the Tennessee game where he got hurt. Chark has done nothing but put up double digit pts every game... with 25 (0.5 ppr) this week.

Even while playing one less game than everyone he is still the WR21. If he had another 10-11 point game against MIA we would be talking about the WR11 or WR12. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, next big thing cp84 said:

Yup. He looked great, made some great catches, Minshew was zoned in on him in the red zone too. 

This is the Chark we drafted... and to be honest minus the Tennessee game where he got hurt. Chark has done nothing but put up double digit pts every game... with 25 (0.5 ppr) this week.

Even while playing one less game than everyone he is still the WR21. If he had another 10-11 point game against MIA we would be talking about the WR11 or WR12. 

Yep, this is exactly what I had in mind when I drafted him, thought I had a steal at the 5th. But then when he got hurt/small target share in the beginning I was kicking myself for not taking Metcalf. Don't get me wrong that dude is a beast, but I love me some Charknado.

And anyone see full Jag's games here? Their defense looks atrocious. I can only imagine their slow "run the offense through Robinson" ain't going to cut it very much, especially going against high powered offenses. I think we'll be seeing more shootouts in the future here with Chark and company.

Edited by RoseLin23
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Resident A-hole said:

Mathew Berry has Chark on his "Hate" list this week. Have to decide between Chark & D Parker, currently leaning Parker.

Pretty sure you just answered your own question if he's on Berry's hate list.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Resident A-hole said:

Mathew Berry has Chark on his "Hate" list this week. Have to decide between Chark & D Parker, currently leaning Parker.

On 10/2/2020 at 9:22 PM, pdog109 said:

You got Chark, you start Chark.

Just did a little digging into the matchup. Houston on paper has a good pass defense, but the numbers are flawed as almost every game the Texans are trailing and their opponent just successfully ran the ball down their throat. I expect this to be a competitive game. Chark will most likely be shadowed by Bradley Robey, who hasn’t graded out very well by PFF. Chark should be able to exploit this matchup in a game that I expect to be relatively high scoring. Fire him up boys. 

Not a good matchup, but as long as the volume continues it's upward trajectory it'll be fine, here is what Clay sees from his column:

"Roby has already shadowed Tyreek Hill, Marquise Brown, Diontae Johnson and Thielen this season. Those four combined for 12 targets, 8 catches, 79 yards and 2 TDs on 56 routes against Houston's top corner. That's pretty good, though Thielen still put together a strong 8-114-1 receiving line last week by capitalizing against other Houston defenders when he escaped Roby's coverage.

Roby is likely to travel with the speedy Chark (77% perimeter) this week, which isn't ideal with Chark coming off his first strong performance of the season. He'll need to be downgraded slightly."

11 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Not a good matchup, but as long as the volume continues it's upward trajectory it'll be fine, here is what Clay sees from his column:

"Roby has already shadowed Tyreek Hill, Marquise Brown, Diontae Johnson and Thielen this season. Those four combined for 12 targets, 8 catches, 79 yards and 2 TDs on 56 routes against Houston's top corner. That's pretty good, though Thielen still put together a strong 8-114-1 receiving line last week by capitalizing against other Houston defenders when he escaped Roby's coverage.

Roby is likely to travel with the speedy Chark (77% perimeter) this week, which isn't ideal with Chark coming off his first strong performance of the season. He'll need to be downgraded slightly."

Hill caught 5 of 6 targets with a TD before the game got way out of hand. Brown caught 5 of 6 in a game Lamar threw like 24 times (and Brown’s missed target he was missed wide open in the endzone). Johnson played one quarter before going out with injury. And Thielen had a great game. I saw ESPN’s crew commenting that this is a rough matchup, but I disagree. 

2 minutes ago, FinsUp24 said:

Hill caught 5 of 6 targets with a TD before the game got way out of hand. Brown caught 5 of 6 in a game Lamar threw like 24 times (and Brown’s missed target he was missed wide open in the endzone). Johnson played one quarter before going out with injury. And Thielen had a great game. I saw ESPN’s crew commenting that this is a rough matchup, but I disagree. 

I agree with this take. It’s very important to note most of those games should be considered outliers due to game script or injuries. 

The Vikings game is probably the best sample size we have that will be close to what the Jags vs Texans game will be. In that game Kirk Cousins only threw the ball 22 times, completed 16 passes for 260 yards. That is over 16 yards per completion. Well over the league average, in fact 5 yards over the league average... and this is 2020 Kirk Cousins. The 2020 Kirk Cousins who went for a whopping 113 yards and 3 INTs two weeks before. Thielen against Roby went for 8/114/1 on 10 targets. 

Over/Under is set at 54. I want a team’s #1 option in a game with that high of an Over/Under... especially one that is coming off a 8/95/2 game where he saw his season high in targets and a 23% target share.

Starting Chark with confidence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Drewfus said:

How late in the 4th did he go out? 

Not a good target share regardless of the injury. 

This game really couldn’t have gone any worse. 

He had no production, no targets and then sank any shred of trade value he may have had by leaving in the fourth quarter with and injury. 

This guy has been a team killer. 

Gruden is clearly looking to spread the ball around knee capping the engine of Chark’s value in the first place: steady targets. 

[...]

Massive disappointment and after 5 weeks clearly a bust. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed assistant coach content
  • Like 1