NBC Sports Edge Forums

D.J. Chark 2020 Outlook

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, FreakFries said:

This game really couldn’t have gone any worse. 

He had no production, no targets and then sank any shred of trade value he may have had by leaving in the fourth quarter with and injury. 

This guy has been a team killer. 

Gruden is clearly looking to spread the ball around knee capping the engine of Chark’s value in the first place: steady targets. 

[...]

Massive disappointment and after 5 weeks clearly a bust. 

Did the injury look that bad?? 

2 minutes ago, Drewfus said:

I wouldn't write him off yet. There will be more games like last week if the injury isn't serious. 

So will plenty of WRs on the waiver wire. 

And just like the other WW fodder, good luck predicting which week that will be. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, FreakFries said:

He had no production, no targets and then sank any shred of trade value he may have had by leaving in the fourth quarter with and injury. 

Gruden is clearly looking to spread the ball around knee capping the engine of Chark’s value in the first place: steady targets. 

[...]

Lol. today was his first really bad game. If you think he is clearly a bust, you are going to be very disappointed in most fantasy football players

• Like 1

The problem with Chark is that he is not the set it and forget it player that most think he is. Chark is more of a boom or bust kind of player. He goes off when you bench him, and he lays a dud when you think he'll have a monster game. Great WR, enjoy owning him but he is frustrating. 

Edited by MurderInc
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, FreakFries said:

[...]

Today was obviously disappointing but he was averaging over 15 points per game in 0.5 PPR coming in to today's game. "Team killer" lol this reactionary crybaby post is not the move

Hope the injury is nothing serious and he bounces right back

• Like 3
3 hours ago, mrschrod said:

Lol. today was his first really bad game. If you think he is clearly a bust, you are going to be very disappointed in most fantasy football players

Well, I play in non ppr and as of this moment  he’s the WR 21 with 8 points separating him from the WR36. Unlike several WRs within 10 points of Chark, Chark has 3 TDs which are nice but also speaks to him being more TD dependent which makes for a lower floor. He’s also missed a game due to injury and was in a non-contact jersey the following week right up until game time making him a high risk start before going off. Now he’s injured again. 

What really concerns me though is Chark is trending down as far as I’m concerned. Chark  has had 4 or less targets in 3 of the 4 games he’s played so far. That’s mediocre TE territory and it’s not like Russell Wilson is throwing him the ball. I don’t know about you but I drafted Chark for volume. I did not draft Chark as a guy who averages 5.25 targets a game. That is not going to get it done. Thats a WR3 at best. WR3 at best is a bust for the expectations most had for Chark when drafting him. 

Edited by FreakFries
  • Like 1
28 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

Well, I play in non ppr and as of this moment  he’s the WR 21 with 8 points separating him from the WR36. Unlike several WRs within 10 points of Chark, Chark has 3 TDs which are nice but also speaks to him being more TD dependent which makes for a lower floor. He’s also missed a game due to injury and was in a non-contact jersey the following week right up until game time making him a high risk start before going off. Now he’s injured again. 

What really concerns me though is Chark is trending down as far as I’m concerned. Chark  has had 4 or less targets in 3 of the 4 games he’s played so far. That’s mediocre TE territory and it’s not like Russell Wilson is throwing him the ball. I don’t know about you but I drafted Chark for volume. I did not draft Chark as a guy who averages 5.25 targets a game. That is not going to get it done. Thats a WR3 at best. WR3 at best is a bust for the expectations most had for Chark when drafting him. 

He's WR21 with missing a game. That's not bad at all. 

As for the target share, yeah that is a bit of a concern, but he did get 9 targets last game. We may have differing opinions on this, but I think the talent will win out long term, as he is the best WR that team has, and he will get more targets

• Like 2
1 minute ago, steakaficianado said:

Why was anyone expecting more? Lousy offense with a lousy QB, and not like hes super talented himself.

yes. I believe most were expecting Chark to be the #1 target in the passing game. Most games he has not been in the top 5. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, steakaficianado said:

Why was anyone expecting more? Lousy offense with a lousy QB, and not like hes super talented himself.

Well he's 6-4 and ran a 4.3 40 dash and can jump out the gym...so to call him not talented seems shortsighted. Plus he had over 1,000 yards last season in his sophomore season. Hell, he had 2 Tds last week. There's nothing wrong with him, he got dinged up and had a rough game but he's a beast. You probably just don't know who he is very well if you think he isn't very talented.

• Like 5

The problem is Chark is better for the Jaguars offense than he is for his fantasy owners.  We've seen how the offense looked without him on the field.  He opens things up for the rest of the offense.  Obviously doesn't help us at all.  Sadly he'll probably continue to be boom or bust with Minshew getting it out quick to whoever.

2 minutes ago, CharlesCC2 said:

The problem is Chark is better for the Jaguars offense than he is for his fantasy owners.  We've seen how the offense looked without him on the field.  He opens things up for the rest of the offense.  Obviously doesn't help us at all.  Sadly he'll probably continue to be boom or bust with Minshew getting it out quick to whoever.

It was 100% baked into his draft price...his adp was a back end WR2 and that's pretty much exactly what he has done. He's not going to be Deandre Hopkins week in week out. There is only a couple of those. 

• Like 5

They still look his way every redzone opportunity.  I believe he was shadowed by Roby this game, which probably explains his down game.  Once teams realize that Shenault and Robinson can do damage, Chark's floor should rise.  Although watching the games, i am a bit concerned with Gardner's play.  Dude starts scrambling for his life if first receiver isn't wide open.  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Benjamin1984 said:

Well he's 6-4 and ran a 4.3 40 dash and can jump out the gym...so to call him not talented seems shortsighted. Plus he had over 1,000 yards last season in his sophomore season. Hell, he had 2 Tds last week. There's nothing wrong with him, he got dinged up and had a rough game but he's a beast. You probably just don't know who he is very well if you think he isn't very talented.

Not to quibble, but I'd call it blind rather than shortsighted. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, umphrey said:

I'm writing him off, lol.  Shenault is still on my WW, I'll take him over Chark ROS.

Chark has 3 TDs in the 3 games he played the whole game. Shenault has one TD in the 5 games he played. Shenault has the same low floor and a lower ceiling because of his lack of TDs. Did everyone forget the week where Shenault was the rage of twitter start of the week and then got about 30 yards? Then the next week Chark put up 95 yards and 2 TDs. 

• Like 1

Gee people are tough on Minshew...

Has done a hell of a lot better than a lot more highly credentialed players drafted around the same time. Think Danny Dimes, Darnold, Haskins and Drew Lock (admittedly can’t seem to get on the field because always seems injured) to name a few. I see a qb with limited athletic qualities but with high IQ and awareness and plays with a tonne of heart and confidence.

The issue for Chark for me so far this season is probably a few other things. Has now had injury niggles a couple of times and has forced him to miss a game already would be one. The other is Gruden and more specifically his play calling. Seems to be generally spreading the targets around to like 4 or 5 options.

That said Chark is by far their best offensive weapon and that was highlighted by the game he missed against Miami. The offense as a whole was pathetic in that game and major reason for that was no Chark drawing the best coverage.

Chark is the Jags offense despite the stats sheet not overflowing due to niggling injuries and a lot of tight coverage - seems like there is a lot here who are a bit short sighted...

2 hours ago, TheIronCurtain said:

They still look his way every redzone opportunity.  I believe he was shadowed by Roby this game, which probably explains his down game.  Once teams realize that Shenault and Robinson can do damage, Chark's floor should rise.  Although watching the games, i am a bit concerned with Gardner's play.  Dude starts scrambling for his life if first receiver isn't wide open.  

I'm 100% with this take. Roby was a problem.