NBC Sports Edge Forums

Preston Williams 2020 Outlook

23 yrs old at 6'5" 220 lbs, with all kinds of alpha WR traits. Was undrafted but quickly signed by MIA last year, prob was an easy day 2 pick based on talent but slipped due to off-field concerns. Balled out last training camp and pre-season, but took him a bit to adjust to sub par QB play, then came into his own with Fitz and earned the unquestioned #2 role. In fact for his 8 healthy games last year he actually outperformed Parker. Wasn't all great, as he dealt with a few concentration drops and meh efficiency, and then also blew out his knee (in game he had already caught 2 TDs). Have to think MIA really liked what they saw, as they did not add any FA WRs or draft any either. I feel like he is a huge value for both redraft and esp dynasty right now.

• Like 1
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gilmore covered both in the WK1 matchup last year and stifled them pretty good, but I believe Rosen may have started that too? Gilmore than shadowed Parker in WK17 and Parker finally was able to

This is impressive. Even in a thread about a non-Alabama alum, you find a way to tie bama into it 😂

Here's an interesting older article with a number of comparisons; the most interesting one is Keenan Allen; tore his ACL in 2016, career year in 2017. https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/how-

Wilson has a little talent, but in six seasons, his best stat line is 42-554-3.  I’m not going to get too worried about that.

LOOOOVE me some Preston.  

Yeah Wilson is a dynamo in the slot, when actually healthy (rare)...I think Gesicki basically took that role and ran with it last year, and was good.

I do hope that a monster like Preston can get a little time in camp at the slot and maybe find a way to rotate some there...what a mismatch he'd be too.

Preston Williams is a really good player and he will be a value at whatever his ADP is. Watching him play a little bit last year was fun, he definitely knows what he's doing and doesn't draw #1 corners. I'm buying everywhere.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, isuckatdfs said:

What I like about preston is his dirt cheap adp. He is free. On a team that I still see trailing more often than not. 

Did a best ball the other night and had him all queued up for a couple RDs and went other directions, was finally ready to select him and guy in front sniped me in RD15.

I think his ADP will rise by Aug drafts, but it is beyond palatable currently.

3 hours ago, BrianM said:

Its pretty easy to get Parker and Preston as your WR4 and 5, and i like the idea a lot, assuming i'm comfy with my top 3.  

Parker as a WR4?  🤨  Come on now. 🙄

36 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

He goes now at 62 so in a 12 team league that means you'd have to pick him early in the 5th or late 4th. I guess it's possible if you go zero-RB.

On 5/24/2020 at 5:02 AM, ST. STEVEN said:

slipped due to off-field concerns

I wanted to know a bit more about this:

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/3/23/18275226/should-the-redskins-look-to-add-preston-williams-despite-his-red-flags

Preston Williams was a 4-star recruit when he committed to Tennessee back in 2015. During his senior year of high school he suffered a serious knee injury that held him back from seeing the field his freshman year until the last few games in Knoxville. (...)

But Williams had a falling out with the coaches at Tennessee and as his playing time diminished greatly.

(...)

During this time off the field Williams got into trouble. He was arrested and charged with misdemeanor assault and harassment after he pushed and restrained his then girlfriend because she was trying to move out from the off campus apartment they were staying in. He pleaded guilty to the charge and received a deferred sentence. A protection order was issued for the woman and violated after Williams allegedly called her 200 times.

That's not good, but it is by now 3 years away. Let's hope he stays on the straight and narrow - from some interviews I saw, he seems a bit more mature.

On 5/24/2020 at 5:02 AM, ST. STEVEN said:

he dealt with a few concentration drops and meh efficiency, and then also blew out his knee

According to the Miami Herald he is now back to jogging, and "on schedule". He may not play in the pre-season, so it would be hard to get a good grip on his situation.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

Happening pretty often in FFC right now honestly. Wouldn't shock me if that doesn't last but its definitely common right now.  

• 2 months later...

Update:

Dolphins WR Preston Williams was cleared for football activities. 

Williams, who tore his ACL in November, has "been running and rehabbing well," according to Dolphins HC Brian Flores. The wideout will now focus on learning the team's new offense under OC Chan Gailey. Williams was peppered with targets during a six-game stretch before his season-ending injury in 2019, seeing 8.17 targets per game over that span. He's being drafted in the 13th round of 12-team leagues -- an ADP that could climb over the next month barring any injury setbacks. 

Aug 3, 2020, 10:26 AM ET

When do yall think Tua takes over at QB?

I ask, because I believe whenever that happens all WRs become fantasy worthless at this point.

It's hard to envision a 4 win team NOT throwing Tua out there to get reps in a lost season and when that happens the players you have on your roster become unstartable.

Fitz is VERY fantasy friendly on WRs as he just sits back and throws bombs.  If they are picked off, he doesn't care, it just means more points to overcome next possession and he bombs it out again next time on offense.  He also never audibles to the run lol.

I'm considering Jordan Howard a bit on this offense, but even he comes with great risk because of Breida IMO, I will probably just end up avoiding Dolphins altogether in 2020.

1 hour ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

When do yall think Tua takes over at QB?

I ask, because I believe whenever that happens all WRs become fantasy worthless at this point.

It's hard to envision a 4 win team NOT throwing Tua out there to get reps in a lost season and when that happens the players you have on your roster become unstartable.

Fitz is VERY fantasy friendly on WRs as he just sits back and throws bombs.  If they are picked off, he doesn't care, it just means more points to overcome next possession and he bombs it out again next time on offense.  He also never audibles to the run lol.

I'm considering Jordan Howard a bit on this offense, but even he comes with great risk because of Breida IMO, I will probably just end up avoiding Dolphins altogether in 2020.

Tua will hit the open man (his accuracy is second to none) instead of force feeding targets and throwing it up to big bodies. Hence, I'm out on Parker this year. Preston may have some value and he's going super late. Gesicki is a big maybe as well.

I can see this team flat out sucking again this year before 2021. Last year was a bit of fool's gold with Fitzpatrick, as it usually is. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Tua will hit the open man (his accuracy is second to none) instead of force feeding targets and throwing it up to big bodies. Hence, I'm out on Parker this year. Preston may have some value and he's going super late. Gesicki is a big maybe as well.

I can see this team flat out sucking again this year before 2021. Last year was a bit of fool's gold with Fitzpatrick, as it usually is. 

It was at best second to Burrow last year :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

It was at best second to Burrow last year :D

General statement, but yes. Both highly accurate. As a new dynasty owner in Burrow, this brings music to my ears. I do think Burrow was the better pick than Tua...but we'll see!

• Dolphins WR Albert Wilson opted out of the 2020 season.

He joins teammate and fellow wideout Allen Hurns on the Dolphins' list of opt-outs. Wilson cites putting his family first amidst COVID-19. Wilson had a tough 2019, posting a career-low 8.2 yards per catch on a receiving line of 43-351-1 across 13 games. He's had two mostly forgettable years in Miami after leaving the Chiefs. After the losses of Hurns and Wilson, the Dolphins' wideout depth has been totally depleted, leaving Jakeem Grant and Gary Jennings as the Nos. 3 and 4 wideouts behind DeVante Parker and Preston Williams.

Aug 5, 2020, 11:16 AM ET

Posted this in the Covid-19 opt out thread, but thought it worth posting here as well. Reason being, if healthy I think this means Williams (& Parker) both see a ton of targets. 

•  
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, The G Man said:
  • Dolphins WR Albert Wilson opted out of the 2020 season.

He joins teammate and fellow wideout Allen Hurns on the Dolphins' list of opt-outs. Wilson cites putting his family first amidst COVID-19. Wilson had a tough 2019, posting a career-low 8.2 yards per catch on a receiving line of 43-351-1 across 13 games. He's had two mostly forgettable years in Miami after leaving the Chiefs. After the losses of Hurns and Wilson, the Dolphins' wideout depth has been totally depleted, leaving Jakeem Grant and Gary Jennings as the Nos. 3 and 4 wideouts behind DeVante Parker and Preston Williams.

Aug 5, 2020, 11:16 AM ET

Posted this in the Covid-19 opt out thread, but thought it worth posting here as well. Reason being, if healthy I think this means Williams (& Parker) both see a ton of targets. 

•  

I think it definitely belongs in this thread, too. Very relevant to Preston. 

11 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

No assurance Preston Williams will be deemed ready for Week 1...

Hurns out, Wilson out, Williams not a lock to be ready. Devante Parker stock trending way up.

Yeah, late in-season ACL's are always a concern the following year. But, from everything I've read his rehab has gone well. 

They'll need him to be ready, that's for sure!