NBC Sports Edge Forums

Should I scoop any of these waiver wire guys? WHIR

Notable waiver wire guys:   SP - Musgrove, Gore, Hill, May, Civale, McKay     RP: S.Green, W. Harris, R. Pressely,    H- Aquino, Carlson, Chavis, Y. Diaz

Who would you pick up and who would your ensuing drop be? Thanks.

12 Team H2H (No holds)

C-Molina

1B: LeMahieu

2B: Hiura

3B: Sano

SS: Turner

OF: Betts, Marte, Judge

Util: Gallo

Util: Voit

B: Cespedes, Calhoun, Myers

SP: Soroka, Paxton, Carrasco, Urias, Montas, Kopech

SP: McCullers, Richards, Howard, Pearson

RP: W. Davis, Givens 

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie

even in a 12 teamer i think wade davis and givens will just hurt you more than help. Isnt hunter supposed to be the closer over givens anways? I like Hill here.....next choice would be carlson. Also if bench bats arent valuable in your league then Myers can go too

Gore is the easy pick here, dude is the undisputed best pitching prospect in baseball and will start the season on the Padres.  Think of it as having a Jesus Luzardo on waivers basically, and I think gore is better than Luzardo.  Of course there will be some people saying but he may not make the team, well the padres had tatis and paddock make the team last spring and there highest was AA, so yeah given the circumstances in a shortened season and no minors , there’s a 99% he makes the team and the dude is filthy .  

8 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

Is this a keeper?

Cespedes, Carrasco, Myers are junk.

Get may, carlson, civale

Just curious you think may is > than gore?  May doesn’t offer nearly the upside gore does imo , and may isn’t a strikeout pitcher 

3 hours ago, Brye said:

Just curious you think may is > than gore?  May doesn’t offer nearly the upside gore does imo , and may isn’t a strikeout pitcher 

SD wont start clock on Gore, unless SD in race.

Gore is much better.  But May will pitch.

May isn't a K machine true.

But in 4 seasons, he had a 8.8 K per 9.

Soroka was 8.0

Flaherty 9.3

He can still be a good pitcher.

I dont know with only 3 months, if Philly and Toronto start the clock on Howard and Pearson.

Civale would be your 4rh best pitcher

6 hours ago, Brye said:

Hasn’t he averaged right at a strikeout per inning during his pro career?

you may wanna do a little homework before making a post

On 5/24/2020 at 6:42 PM, HOOTIE said:

SD wont start clock on Gore, unless SD in race.

Gore is much better.  But May will pitch.

May isn't a K machine true.

But in 4 seasons, he had a 8.8 K per 9.

Soroka was 8.0

Flaherty 9.3

He can still be a good pitcher.

I dont know with only 3 months, if Philly and Toronto start the clock on Howard and Pearson.

Civale would be your 4rh best pitcher

Honestly, I think they will start the clock, you can't have you best prospects sitting out a whole year 

pitchers don't seem to have service type games hitters do. Prolly has to do with so many bullets in the arm before some surgery. I would cut ur 2 NL DL guys in Myers and Cespedes and pick up Gore and Carlson.

3 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Honestly, I think they will start the clock, you can't have you best prospects sitting out a whole year 

It's not a whole year.

Its 3 months, half a year.

6 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

But if they don't pitch this season it will be sitting for a whole year right?

The minor league season hasn't been canceled yet.

Anything's possible.

I'm just going off industry talk, of teams not wanting to start clocks, on a 3 month season.

19 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

The minor league season hasn't been canceled yet.

Anything's possible.

I'm just going off industry talk, of teams not wanting to start clocks, on a 3 month season.

The minor league season is at least officially canceled.  Only top prospects to be used in a pool of reserves with the major league clubs are still in the mix.  Also see minor league thread in main forum for what is happening to these minor leaguers and their pay from decent (Marlins and Padres) to the Scrooge Athletics.

I look at the crux of this team as being open to the option to punt saves in the early-going. You have two very marginal closers in Davis and Harvey (and I think Givens is the closer in BAL) so it seems highly unlikely that both will churn out saves for you. However, if even one of them manages to keep the job-lets say for the sake of argument Davis manages to nail down his first few saves. Now, all of a sudden, Kela fails and Kyle Crick is saving games in PIT. Or Rafael Montero, or Kevin Ginkel...are any of these guys available on waivers? I would survey the landscape and be real about who could be a potential closer. I expect high turnover at the position with every team in contention in a shortened season.

I might hold these relievers (I do like Stanek over Harvey); I don't see any of the SPs as major upgrades over who you have; but I would expect a few of your guys to stumble out of the gate and be cut, for example Richards and McCullers won't have much trust with any fantasy owners if they start slow. So I think you strategy was to hope for a WW closer to emerge, and in that sense I'd stay the course. You can always trade for one too. But if you are going to come up short every week may as well punt it now. It's a soul-searching question.

So the names that stand out to me are Gore and Carlson. I'd view Cespedes as the immediate cut if you want to grab Carlson and stash him for now. I'm assuming you have Starling Marte in the OF not Ketel. I'd consider dumping Myers for Chavis too. Hope this helps.