NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Conner 2020 Outlook

4 hours ago, LionKid90 said:

I don’t think any coach would bench their starter week 1 before the half. Coaches just don’t do that, at least I haven’t heard of it. We will find out more in the next few days, but wasn’t he seen on the sideline getting his ankle taped?

My guess is they want to be careful, and feel comfortable with the other guys.

I don’t think we need to worry about Snell. We’ve already seen this team try to use a backfield of Snell and Samuels, it didn’t work. They need Conner. Coaches don’t have knee jerk reactions. They aren’t going to change who their main back is after one game. They played the Giants. They were going to get by with or without Conner. But when they play better teams, they’ll need Conner.

I’m just concerned because this guy already looks fragile.

Disagree. We haven't seen them use Snell and Samuels along with Big Ben.  Last night, Snell showed he can be the grinder they need.  I don't have either, but I'd be very worried that even when healthy, this becomes more of a RBBC than you'd like.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Conner after seeing Snell's week one stat line

I don’t think I’d describe a cancer survivor who came back to play football a pussy but that’s just me. 

Posted Images

9 hours ago, atdharris said:

I am not aboard the "Conner has been benched the rest of the season for having a slow start to the first game of the year" train. I've (unfortunately) owned him for several seasons now, and I've seen backups come in and have big games, but neither Snell nor Samuels offers a dual threat skillset, and Tomlin prefers that for his lead back. 

If he's healthy, he's going to get another shot. 

Conner had at least two bad drops that I remember. He can catch but I wouldn't be so confident Snell can't do 75% of what Conner does receiving wise.

25 minutes ago, myersisu said:

Disagree. We haven't seen them use Snell and Samuels along with Big Ben.  Last night, Snell showed he can be the grinder they need.  I don't have either, but I'd be very worried that even when healthy, this becomes more of a RBBC than you'd like.

I'll worry if we see Snell have multiple great games. We've seen backups come in and have solid games before. It would be almost unheard of for a coach to bench their starting RB the rest of the season because he had a bad first quarter. Conner very likely tweaked an ankle and the coaches were being careful not to run him back out there. Just because he was walking doesn't mean he could go out and play football.

Moreover, Tomlin prefers to use one main back, and he said that again during the pre-season. Snell is not a pass catcher, so he will inevitably be splitting snaps with Samuel. 

People are overthinking this. Conner has not lost his starting job. It's disappointing he already got hurt, but I am not worried that suddenly he's now the third string RB behind Snell and Samuels. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, K197040 said:

What?   Dude came back from cancer.  Had tumors around his heart.  

Beat that and returned to play football at the pro level.

Oh my god can we stop referencing the cancer? We’re talking about football here. The dude is the opposite of durable. Simple as

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Just now, noles1983 said:

Right? Last time I checked I don't get a bonus for players surviving cancer years ago. 

You dont get a bonus, but you do get rep points on this board for referencing said cancer surviving.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said the team will "leave the light on" for James Conner (ankle) in Week 2.

And therein lies the issue with prioritizing Benny Snell on waivers. Much like last year when he battled numerous injuries and was constantly in and out of Pittsburgh's lineup, Conner is expected to fight back and be utilized as the team's bell-cow when healthy — 'when' being the key word. Snell logically offers short-term value, but the Steelers will likely be without RT Zach Banner (torn ACL) and RG Stephen Wisniewski (torn pectoral) for the year. Consider Conner questionable for Sunday.

So yea, like everyone here is saying, Conner is probably done forever and needs to just quit football, Lmao. The rosterbating over a hot waiver add is gross. 

Just now, cgu112 said:

Am I insane for thinking of trading this guy for dobbins?  Have cmc and taylor so shouldnt need another rb in the immediate future. And long term dobbins could be a stud.  Crazy or nah?

Conner might play week 2. It's a mild ankle sprain most likely. 

5 minutes ago, Moveless said:

So yea, like everyone here is saying, Conner is probably done forever and needs to just quit football, Lmao. The rosterbating over a hot waiver add is gross. 

Rosterbating ? people are just trying to figure out how to maneuver around this issue. Thats what this forum is for. Some will over react and some are prob too rational and will sleep while real moves need to be made. The answer is prob somewhere in the middle. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, cgu112 said:

Am I insane for thinking of trading this guy for dobbins?  Have cmc and taylor so shouldnt need another rb in the immediate future. And long term dobbins could be a stud.  Crazy or nah?

As a 2-time owner of Conner I can confidently say, absolutely not. He cannot stay healthy, period. And the worst part is it's not just that he misses games, it's that he starts them but doesn't finish them. As we know that's the real killer in fantasy. 

Dobbins is on arguably the best offense in football, and his role will continue to expand. 

I know it sounds absolutely crazy, but if I were drafting today I'd take Dobbins over Conner. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wuchild97 said:

Rosterbating ? people are just trying to figure out how to maneuver around this issue. Thats what this forum is for. Some will over react and some are prob too rational and will sleep while real moves need to be made. The answer is prob somewhere in the middle. 

People acting like a guy with an ankle tweak who was called the unquestioned bellcow is going to lose his starting job after 6 carries is silly. Assuming there are secret motives for a benching is silly. 6 Carries and he got a full game benching without really being hurt? I agree with you. People need to discuss this. People assuming Conner is going to hang up his cleats and isn't worth a RB4 in trade are wild. 

5 minutes ago, kdpat15 said:

anyone who thinks this was over an ankle sprain is kidding themselves. He was obviously punished for his childish behavior. Sounds to me like Tomlin is sayin we will see how he acts in practice and make a decision 

this is the best scenario for conner owners. Tomlin has shown he is willing to accept thet type of behavior (brown, leveon). So he sent his message.  And snell will prob get more run but I doubt he will completely bench conner for mouthing off once. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, cgu112 said:

this is the best scenario for conner owners. Tomlin has shown he is willing to accept thet type of behavior (brown, leveon). So he sent his message.  And snell will prob get more run but I doubt he will completely bench conner for mouthing off once. 

Do we have any video evidence of his mouthing off? Any reports? I'm only reading this on here. 

5 minutes ago, Moveless said:

People acting like a guy with an ankle tweak who was called the unquestioned bellcow is going to lose his starting job after 6 carries is silly. Assuming there are secret motives for a benching is silly. 6 Carries and he got a full game benching without really being hurt? I agree with you. People need to discuss this. People assuming Conner is going to hang up his cleats and isn't worth a RB4 in trade are wild. 

No prob. we are going to just have to disagree. "unquestioned" bellcow that is injury prone comes back WEEK 1....Week 1 and has some sort of attitude issue with coaching staff (lights on quote is the proof), the backup who has been praised in practice for improving comes in, does well, and the team WINS. with a coach that is going to ride the bellcow...whomever it may be. Its far from silly for Conner owners to be thinking about roster moves. Best scenario is that attitude issue resolves itself and he plays but the leash looks short already. Im holding of course but Im planning on a roster move in case this goes south quickly...which there is enough evidence to see it happening

5 minutes ago, kdpat15 said:

I was just searching YouTube to try and get the clip but they don't have any highlights

He definitely bitched someone out on the sidelines from the LOS after he got nailed in the backfield on a play.  Was yelling at the sideline.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1