NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Conner 2020 Outlook

1 minute ago, kmoore1521 said:

his job might be gone by then if Snell performes in these, as said, bad matchups tho..........

I have Snell and while I would like that to happen, it doesn't seem like thats something the Steelers will do if he is truly injured.  If he gets put in the dog house for a while then I can see it, but most star players dont lose their job due to a minor injury

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Conner after seeing Snell's week one stat line

I don’t think I’d describe a cancer survivor who came back to play football a pussy but that’s just me. 

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, RingMyBell said:

I have Snell and while I would like that to happen, it doesn't seem like thats something the Steelers will do if he is truly injured.  If he gets put in the dog house for a while then I can see it, but most star players dont lose their job due to a minor injury

Define "star player"

What's the cutoff, and who are some other stars at the same level?

7 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Agree with most of what you said, especially Conner's skill set. But I do think Snell is a capable back and it's hard to ignore how much better he looked running than Conner did. To your point, if Conner sees any backfield pressure as he gets the ball he seems to freeze and attempt to spin or take the contact where Snell seemed to not hesitate and just hit the jets. Also agree that I don't think this is a major ankle injury.

Looking back at the tape he definitely looks more capable than I gave him credit for Monday. But he's limited in the passing game (29 catches in 3 years of college ball and nothing on the field indicating pass-catching is a strength, not to say it isn't and just hasn't been utilized yet) until he proves otherwise. Unfortunately that muddles fantasy values here. If Snell is given "bell-cow" duties, and Monday is any indication what that means (didn't include 3rd downs) we might not be looking at a lesser Conner (who is already a lesser Le'Veon Bell) but rather a lesser Rashard Mendenhall of 2009-11. Immediately dragging down PPR values and turning our 2-3rd round pick into 4-5 round value. Unfortunately, for those of us who grabbed Snell, this is one of the better case scenarios. If Conner is inactive, I'm fine throwing Snell out there. If Conner is active, this just turns into a headache involving one of the more injury prone players in recent memory.

• Like 1
Just now, joebaker23 said:

Are you saying this based on his "ankle injury" or just in general.

Both. Every year there are some players that emerge that are headaches throughout the year. Costing owners several weeks along the way. Connor is fitting right into that profile. I don’t see how he is not a headache and how anyone can start him with confidence rest of the year. 

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

Time to come up with back up plans. Don’t see how he is startable and I think anyone starting him will have no confidence whatsoever. 

If he’s playing I’m starting him.  That’s what I drafted him for.  

I get the concern in here but I don’t get pulling the ripcord on someone with Conner’s potential after one game.  

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Steelers o-line looked pretty good with Snell in the game. 

Conner had 6 carries. Six! That isn't enough of a sample to come to any conclusions about him, the line, or anything else. 

If they blocked well for Snell, that's swell (sorry) for Conner too. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

Both. Every year there are some players that emerge that are headaches throughout the year. Costing owners several weeks along the way. Connor is fitting right into that profile. I don’t see how he is not a headache and how anyone can start him with confidence rest of the year. 

Definitely getting this feeling with Conner.

What’s tough is there’s not a lot you can do about it. RBs are scarce especially in non ppr so you won’t get fair value and unless you hit on a lottery ticket RB, you can’t really replace him or get a fair return on your draft capital. Cannot stand when this happens. Praying he heals up quick.

1 minute ago, FreakFries said:

Praying he heals up quick.

Have both Connor and Snell. Actually hoping he sits so the decision to start/sit is black and white this week.

Will also be somewhat annoyed if he's back at practice tmrw...already. If he couldn't go back into the game and is back at practice then this is more than just about an injury.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, screaming_vultures said:

JFC. Your last sentence is completely absurd.  He went from high upside low end rb1 to “cant start with any confidence for the rest of the year” over the course of TWO DAYS when we have no clue if he was benched or actually is injured (and if so how bad it is)

1.  He had 6 carries and 4 targets in a quarter.  Thats insane usage. Im sure the steelers will go from making him the focal point of of the offense to worthless roster space in 1 quarter

2. His touches occurred in an offense playing for the first time with no preseason AND getting big ben back. They needed time to settle down

3. snell did look good; but this was the giants and they took him out on all passing opps so worst case when connor comes back is he starts as the 3rd down back. 

4. If it turns into a committee, that might be a good thing for conner as he can stay fresher and hopefully not break down. This is true IF  he gets a decent amt of the carries with passing work and some/all goaline work then thats a valuable fantasy asset. 

Relax with the Armageddon takes my man. With Covid social distancing, space travel is a no go, so we wont be able to call Bruce Willis to save us this time.

Edited by cgu112
  • Like 7
2 minutes ago, cgu112 said:

JFC. Your last sentence is completely absurd.  He went from high upside low end rb1 to “cant start with any confidence for the rest of the year” over the course of TWO DAYS when we have no clue if he was benched or actually is injured (and if so how bad it is)

1.  He had 6 carries and 4 targets in a quarter.  Thats insane usage. Im sure the steelers will go from making him the focal point of of the offense to worthless roster space in 1 quarter

2. His touches occurred in an offense playing for the first time with no preseason AND getting big ben back. They needed time to settle down

3. snell did look good; but this was the giants and they took him out on all passing opps so worst case when connor comes back is he starts as the 3rd down back. 

4. If it turns into a committee, that might be a good thing for conner as he can stay fresher and hopefully not break down. This is true IF  he gets a decent amt of the carries with passing work and some/all goaline work then thats a valuable fantasy asset. 

Relax with the Armageddon takes my man. With Covid social distancing, space travel is a no go, so we wont be able to call Bruce Willis to save us this time.

I agree with all of this, but I'd still have a hard time starting Conner this week. I think the most likely outcome is that he will be fine and remain the starter, but stranger things have happened. Not worth risking a goose egg. 

1 minute ago, ajs723 said:

I agree with all of this, but I'd still have a hard time starting Conner this week. I think the most likely outcome is that he will be fine and remain the starter, but stranger things have happened. Not worth risking a goose egg. 

yeah this week of course. But op said FoR tHe ReSt oF The SeAsOn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, cgu112 said:

You and others may have valued him as a high upside RB1, but others pegged him as a DND. It's absolutely not an overreaction to say that James Conner is gonna be a massive headache for fantasy owners this season. Far from a special player and frequently injured. Sure, there's potential if he can stay healthy but why in the world would you expect him to do that?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

I could see a scenario where Snell becomes the starter with Conner the third down back. 

I could see a scenario where Jennifer Lawrence falls in love with me. Doesn't make either a likely scenario. 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

You and others may have valued him as a high upside RB1, but others pegged him as a DND. It's absolutely not an overreaction to say that James Conner is gonna be a massive headache for fantasy owners this season. Far from a special player and frequently injured. Sure, there's potential if he can stay healthy but why in the world would you expect him to do that?

read the sentence I referenced. I didnt realize “will be a headache” and “cant be started with any confidence for the rest of the season” are the same thing. 

why do people constantly do this?  Quote somebody and then argue against something completely different than what was actually said. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

Let's face reality, if you drafted him you didn't draft him because you thought he was a special player. You drafted him off of pure upside due to his usage in that offense. I think there is some overreaction in here. Only concern of mine remains his health.

• Like 3
Just now, cgu112 said:

read the sentence I referenced. I didnt realize “will be a headache” and “cant be started with any confidence for the rest of the season” are the same thing. 

why do people constantly do this?  Quote somebody and then argue against something completely different than what was actually said. 

You're clearly bullish on Conner. I believe that to be unfounded and that's my point. You can talk about his epic first quarter usage, but you don't mention the terrible efficiency. Not like he was any better last year with a 4 YPC average. By the end of the year you will not have any confidence starting him because he will most likely be injured...

• Like 1

I picked up Connor 2 years ago with the Lev Bell fiasco and he helped me finish strong in the playoffs.

He's talented, but not a superstar.  He runs hard and plays his butt off.

He also gets hurt all the freakin time.  I took him last year.

Enjoy the crap show.  It'll last all season.  He's just not durable.