NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Conner 2020 Outlook

12 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

You're clearly bullish on Conner. I believe that to be unfounded and that's my point. You can talk about his epic first quarter usage, but you don't mention the terrible efficiency. Not like he was any better last year with a 4 YPC average. By the end of the year you will not have any confidence starting him because he will most likely be injured...

Well if hes injured then why would I consider starting him at all?  Durrrr

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Conner after seeing Snell's week one stat line

I don’t think I’d describe a cancer survivor who came back to play football a pussy but that’s just me. 

Posted Images

It's definitely a concerning time if you're a Conner owner but I think if he's healthy and not in the dog house he returns to a valuable role and unless he stinks it up / gets hurt he remains in a valuable role ROS. Snell I think has a long way to go before he gets close to usurping 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gbill2004 said:

Can you name an example of an RB who was this fragile?  At some point the Steelers will realize Conner is a waste of a roster spot if he can't make it through a game without getting injured. 

Chris Thompson, Danny Woodhead, Reggie Bush.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

It's definitely a concerning time if you're a Conner owner but I think if he's healthy and not in the dog house he returns to a valuable role and unless he stinks it up / gets hurt he remains in a valuable role ROS. Snell I think has a long way to go before he gets close to usurping 

Not as long as u think

tomlin was all over this kids D while James was pumping iron in the gym all summer

i think snell showed more burst than all of last yr week 1

13 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

What are the odds of this. This is what I meant when i said headache to own and basically limited to no confidence. 

got this from CBS...not even sure what to decipher here. Everything just seems so sketchy but that is just my opinion. Is Tomlin slated for a conference call tomm? maybe we get more clarity in the next day or two

(3 hrs ago) Conner (ankle) didn't practice Wednesday.

For his part, Dale Lolley of DKPittsburghSports.com suggests that if he had to "bet on it right now," he'd guess that Conner "plays on Sunday. But that's right now." If, however, Conner's ankle issue sidelines or limits him in Week 2 against the Broncos, Benny Snell would be next up for touches out of the Steelers' backfield, with Jaylen Samuels in reserve.

Edited by kdpat15

Obviously he has an injury history that would definitely fall under injury prone but to jump to the idea that Snell is about to take over seems a bit off to me. Tomlin history suggests he might stand by Conner until he does break. 

We'll find out as season goes on but I think more than one week of 2020 football is needed to get a decent idea of how it'll go. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

BTW i dont understand the critique of someone going from RB1 preseason to basically a league loser. This happens every year without exception. Someone gets RB1 hype, gets over drafted and then face plants week 1. This is not an overreaction. Players faceplant every year. 

Not saying you're wrong, but can you give an example of an established starter, 25 or under, who had an RB1 season under his belt and then faceplanted in week one and faded away.

I can't think of a time that has ever happened. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

BTW i dont understand the critique of someone going from RB1 preseason to basically a league loser. This happens every year without exception. Someone gets RB1 hype, gets over drafted and then face plants week 1. This is not an overreaction. Players faceplant every year. 

With this mindset, Saquon is a league loser right?

1 minute ago, joebaker23 said:

all due respect (although I also disagree with him) that's pure strawman stuff. Conner has the type of history that would make an early round bust make sense. 

I think there are a lot of Snell-owning trolls in here that need validation - leave it at that.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SuperJoint said:

all due respect (although I also disagree with him) that's pure strawman stuff. Conner has the type of history that would make an early round bust make sense. 

I think there are a lot of Snell-owning trolls in here that need validation - leave it at that.

Seems to be more conner owners than snell... half these last 2 pages is people saying he wasn't benched for being a baby... no trolling needed conner has trolled himself 

1 hour ago, joebaker23 said:

Saquon still put up 10 points in what will likely be his worst game of the year. And guess what?  Saquon actually completed the game without leaving early with an injury. 

4 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Not saying you're wrong, but can you give an example of an established starter, 25 or under, who had an RB1 season under his belt and then faceplanted in week one and faded away.

I can't think of a time that has ever happened. 

Peyton Hillis in 2011 is pretty close 

On 9/15/2020 at 5:57 PM, wuchild97 said:

Anyone with Conner shares...AND Hines and Snell on wire. Who would be 1st priority ? 

well update...snagged both. My play for this week: If Conner is named starter this week, ill avoid all together and pivot to Hines. If Snell is named starter, plugging him in. I need a week to figure out what the hell is going on with Conner. He lost me week 1. I lost by 10 points, which would have been easy if he played a full game. Cant risk it again. 

6 hours ago, pushaZ said:

James Conner is definitely a league loser, he's done it multiple times

Huh?  He was a league winner two years ago, and then he put in a solid first 9 games last year before injury.

I don’t understand all the Conner hate here. The injury risk was baked into his draft price unless you were reaching, stop whining.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, screaming_vultures said:

Both. Every year there are some players that emerge that are headaches throughout the year. Costing owners several weeks along the way. Connor is fitting right into that profile. I don’t see how he is not a headache and how anyone can start him with confidence rest of the year. 

Unfortunately accurate. 

The Athletic's Ed Bouchette said Steelers RB Benny Snell could be "used more often" even after RB James Conner recovers from his ankle injury. 

"What Snell did Monday night, if nothing else, made a strong case for being No. 1A and used more often with a healthy Conner. These things also often evolve as the season progresses," Bouchette said. Snell ran 19 times for 113 yards against the Giants on Monday night after Conner exited with an ankle injury. Bouchette said Conner losing his job to Snell in the coming weeks -- healthy or not -- is not out of the question. "If Conner is ineffective when he returns and Snell is clearly better, they’ll make the switch," Bouchette said. Snell should be rostered in all 12-team leagues. The Steelers are 7.5-point home favorites against Denver this week, potentially setting up the offense for a run-heavy approach in positive game script. 

15 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

Unfortunately accurate. 

The Athletic's Ed Bouchette said Steelers RB Benny Snell could be "used more often" even after RB James Conner recovers from his ankle injury. 

"What Snell did Monday night, if nothing else, made a strong case for being No. 1A and used more often with a healthy Conner. These things also often evolve as the season progresses," Bouchette said. Snell ran 19 times for 113 yards against the Giants on Monday night after Conner exited with an ankle injury. Bouchette said Conner losing his job to Snell in the coming weeks -- healthy or not -- is not out of the question. "If Conner is ineffective when he returns and Snell is clearly better, they’ll make the switch," Bouchette said. Snell should be rostered in all 12-team leagues. The Steelers are 7.5-point home favorites against Denver this week, potentially setting up the offense for a run-heavy approach in positive game script. 

very misleading headline. No one in the steelers organization said this. Its just a reporter assuming that this will happen. FAKE NEWS!

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, kdpat15 said:

very misleading headline. No one in the steelers organization said this. Its just a reporter assuming that this will happen. FAKE NEWS!

Doesn’t feel like the type of headline that’s going to make Conner great again though does it?

• Like 1