NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Conner 2020 Outlook

15 hours ago, screaming_vultures said:

Both. Every year there are some players that emerge that are headaches throughout the year. Costing owners several weeks along the way. Connor is fitting right into that profile. I don’t see how he is not a headache and how anyone can start him with confidence rest of the year. 

Feels that way to me, too. He’s on my bench until he proves me wrong.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Conner after seeing Snell's week one stat line

I don’t think I’d describe a cancer survivor who came back to play football a pussy but that’s just me. 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

Doesn’t feel like the type of headline that’s going to make Conner great again though does it?

agree, I do think his job is in danger. Im interested in hearing Tomlin's thoughts today/tomm whenever he speaks. Conner is def not feeling too hot at the moment

• Like 1

This guy is done. Anyone holding onto Connor stock in 2 weeks is gonna look like an investor for Enron. Trade him while you can still maybe get a WR3 for him at least. This is snell’s backfield and Connor knows it. That’s why he pitched a hissy fit when he got pulled for him.

4 minutes ago, kdpat15 said:

agree, I do think his job is in danger. Im interested in hearing Tomlin's thoughts today/tomm whenever he speaks. Conner is def not feeling too hot at the moment

One thing I like about Tomlin is he’s more straight forward than most coaches. Hopefully he has some good news 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, cgu112 said:

JFC. Your last sentence is completely absurd.  He went from high upside low end rb1 to “cant start with any confidence for the rest of the year” over the course of TWO DAYS when we have no clue if he was benched or actually is injured (and if so how bad it is)

1.  He had 6 carries and 4 targets in a quarter.  Thats insane usage. Im sure the steelers will go from making him the focal point of of the offense to worthless roster space in 1 quarter

2. His touches occurred in an offense playing for the first time with no preseason AND getting big ben back. They needed time to settle down

3. snell did look good; but this was the giants and they took him out on all passing opps so worst case when connor comes back is he starts as the 3rd down back. 

4. If it turns into a committee, that might be a good thing for conner as he can stay fresher and hopefully not break down. This is true IF  he gets a decent amt of the carries with passing work and some/all goaline work then thats a valuable fantasy asset. 

Relax with the Armageddon takes my man. With Covid social distancing, space travel is a no go, so we wont be able to call Bruce Willis to save us this time.

Well to be fair, it sometimes only takes 1-2 days for a player's fantasy value to tank. And let's be honest, aside from a season-ending injury his first game couldn't have gone much worse. Going into this season he was viewed as high risk/high reward as an unquestioned bellcow that has struggled to stay healthy. And here we are after week 1 and he's dinged up with his backup proving capable. It's (hopefully) a long season and he has time to get back on track, but so far this is exactly what people who avoided drafting Conner were concerned about.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, kdpat15 said:

Amazing how fast things change in the NFL.  A week ago Tomlin was telling the world that Conner is the bellcow.  Of course this is injury related so maybe not totally fair to criticize, but it does appear Connor never really had an iron grip on the job.  If it were Zeke or CMC dinged up, there would be zero talk of a possible switch.

2 hours ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Huh?  He was a league winner two years ago, and then he put in a solid first 9 games last year before injury.

I don’t understand all the Conner hate here. The injury risk was baked into his draft price unless you were reaching, stop whining.

Lol. He lost you your league last year, he's gonna lose you your league this year since he was a 3rd round pick. You're the one that's mad you drafted him I wouldn't have even considered it

This speculation is ridiculous. First, we've heard time and again that "X steelers backup will be 1A to the starters 1B" (remember when D'Angelo Williams would be used just as often as Bell?) and it never happened. Tomlin is a coach that prefers a bellcow and always has been. If healthy, it will be Conner. There is little chance the Steelers are going to this length to lie about his injury to cover up benching him. He would not be benched after playing poorly one quarter into the season, especially when there was no pre-season to warm up. 

This just feels like Snell owners grasping at straws that somehow they've plucked the next Le'Veon Bell off waivers. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Huh?  He was a league winner two years ago, and then he put in a solid first 9 games last year before injury.

I don’t understand all the Conner hate here. The injury risk was baked into his draft price unless you were reaching, stop whining.

Jaylen Samuels was the league winner in 2018, Conner may have gotten you to the playoffs but I don’t believe he played much down the stretch.

32 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Jaylen Samuels was the league winner in 2018, Conner may have gotten you to the playoffs but I don’t believe he played much down the stretch.

Ah yes, Jaylen Samuels with that beautiful Tight End eligibility, well at least on Yahoo. Conner that year could still be considered a league winner going nearly undrafted in some leagues or very late. He was the reason you got to the playoffs or the ‘ship. But JC is constantly hurt, I only have one share of Conner and none of Snell but taking the L on this one stings a bit. Loved all the offseason hype. Welp!

40 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Jaylen Samuels was the main guy for a few games to end 2018 but waaayyy far from being a league winner. It was thought he could be when he was about to be the starter, especially with the dual position tag some place. But his last four games in 2018 were:

@ OAK 11/28/0 rushing, 7/64/0 receiving -- 9.2 standard and 16.2 ppr

vs NE 19/142/0 rushing, 2/30/0 receiving -- 17.2 standard and 19.2 ppr

@ NO 12/53/0 rushing, 3/11/1 receiving -- 12.4 standard and 15.4 ppr

vs CIN 2/2/0 rushing, 7/40/0 receiving -- 4.2 standard and 11.2 ppr

Fine plug in for ppr,up and down in standard. Maybe Samuels helped you not lose a league but definitely didn't jump in and win it.

50 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Lol. He lost you your league last year, he's gonna lose you your league this year since he was a 3rd round pick. You're the one that's mad you drafted him I wouldn't have even considered it

Ha, he didn’t lose me anything last year (I didn’t own him), and he was just as good or better than some of the guys drafted around him. Once he got hurt you just replace him.

Two years ago he didn’t lose anyone anything... he was undrafted in most leagues and ended up an RB1.

This year I own both Conner and Snell, so not sure why I would be upset unless I grabbed him in the 2nd, which I didn’t.

People like you just love to hear your own emphatic B.S. takes.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, geosporin said:

Jaylen Samuels was the main guy for a few games to end 2018 but waaayyy far from being a league winner. It was thought he could be when he was about to be the starter, especially with the dual position tag some place. But his last four games in 2018 were:

@ OAK 11/28/0 rushing, 7/64/0 receiving -- 9.2 standard and 16.2 ppr

vs NE 19/142/0 rushing, 2/30/0 receiving -- 17.2 standard and 19.2 ppr

@ NO 12/53/0 rushing, 3/11/1 receiving -- 12.4 standard and 15.4 ppr

vs CIN 2/2/0 rushing, 7/40/0 receiving -- 4.2 standard and 11.2 ppr

Fine plug in for ppr,up and down in standard. Maybe Samuels helped you not lose a league but definitely didn't jump in and win it.

Not to derail the Conner thread, but it was mostly Yahoo leagues where he was a "league winner" since he could play in the TE slot. 

Weeks 14/15/16 are generally the fantasy playoffs so in those three games he was:

Week 14: 

#7 Tight End

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/leaders/te.php?year=2018&start=14&end=14

Week 15: 

#1 Tight End 

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/leaders/ppr-te.php?year=2018&start=15&end=15

Week 16: 

#7 Tight End

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/leaders/ppr-te.php?year=2018&start=16&end=16

So if you were a team with a great QB/WR/RB set entering the playoffs, but were weak at the TE slot, snagging Samuels pushed you over the top.

Follow the money. Last year of his 4 year deal paying him a million a year. Clearly he is not going to get paid from the Steelers.

Off season I am sure was rough and he is angry and feeling disrespected. Showed Monday night.

The ankle is a excuse to push the organization into a deal it will not make. Or to keep him from some major injury. He saw first had how Bell was treated by the Steelers. Tigers don't change their strips

The fact that both sides agree on this injury lie shows me that a deal is in the works.

He will be traded before the year is out. Maybe before the week is out.

David

Edited by mar1kle
  • Like 3
54 minutes ago, mar1kle said:

Follow the money. Last year of his 4 year deal paying him a million a year. Clearly he is not going to get paid from the Steelers.

Off season I am sure was rough and he is angry and feeling disrespected. Showed Monday night.

The ankle is a excuse to push the organization into a deal it will not make. Or to keep him from some major injury. He saw first had how Bell was treated by the Steelers. Tigers don't change their strips

The fact that both sides agree on this injury lie shows me that a deal is in the works.

He will be traded before the year is out. Maybe before the week is out.

David

Not sure who needs him. RB carousel is pretty full. 

1 minute ago, joebaker23 said:

I mean if Conner is good to go, have to start him right? Can't overthink it.

HA. I wish it were that easy. That big fat 2.7 he put up for me and handed me a scorching hot L says otherwise. I wont be overthinking it, I will prob be sitting him a week

• Haha 1