NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Conner 2020 Outlook

10 minutes ago, BrianM said:

He's the one player of any consequence that I ended up with.  Not via draft, but a keeper trade, had to take him coming back to make it work.    I was going to try to flip him elsewhere after my draft for just about anything as i really had a bad vibe.   The Tomlin "3 down back" proclamation made me hold off.    Was hoping Snell fell to the free portion of my auction draft but he was sniped with one of the last dollars remaining.  

Eff, meant to say the one player of any consequence that I ended up with reluctantly.   

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Conner after seeing Snell's week one stat line

I don’t think I’d describe a cancer survivor who came back to play football a pussy but that’s just me. 

Posted Images

I'm wondering about trading him to a RB-needy team before the game this week if he gets in another full practice. Obviously you risk him taking the #1 job back and looking a fool, but you could also possibly get some legit value for him before it totally tanks.

22 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

I'm wondering about trading him to a RB-needy team before the game this week if he gets in another full practice. Obviously you risk him taking the #1 job back and looking a fool, but you could also possibly get some legit value for him before it totally tanks.

absoultely nodbody is buying him in my league. either they are not interested at all or offers me some bum player for it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Conner was the starter and bellcow coming into the season.  He either got hurt or was benched early, and his replacement had a very good game.  Yes, that screwed over everyone who has him.

That's what is known.

There's reason to speculate that he has or will lose his job.  We won't know the answer to that until they play.  There has been no word from the team that he either is or is not the starter.  Again, speculation is worthwhile but we have no basis to form any conclusions yet.  You can start to form one when the week 2 depth chart comes out.  That'll tell us who the starter (and likely bellcow) is, though nobody will know how long a leash whoever it is has.

It's a tough spot if you have Conner.  You invested high draft capital in him, thus you're counting on his production for a significant portion of your points.  I'm not a Conner owner, but I can sympathize as I'm in a similar spot with Ertz, who I invested in with several teams.  I'm at about 75% panic there, and I'd be at a similar level with Conner.  I've made moves to get a second option on the teams I have Ertz, as hopefully you've done if you have Conner.  Obviously, it's going to be tougher with a RB than a TE, because the position is more important, but it is what it is.  None of our beliefs change how events will play out on the field.

Until other information presents itself, we have to assume Conner is the starter and bellcow. 

The thing i find silly is this assumption that Conner's job is 100% secure.  This dude isn't prime Le'Veon Bell, Zeke, Barkley, or even Jerome Bettis.  He's a mid round draft choice in the final year of his contract.  He had a great season 2 years ago before breaking down toward the end.  He had a subpar season last year, and missed a third of it, though the poor performance wasn't entirely his fault.

James Conner is not untouchable.  If the Steelers think they have someone who can do the job better, that person will get the job.  Are we at the point where the Steelers are looking to replace him?  Do they think Snell can get the job done better?  We don't know.  We'll find out as the season goes on.

If Conner is listed as the starter, it's still tough to start him this week though I wouldn't panic or replace him with a desperation start.  But I'd be prepared, even though it's less than 50% likely, for Snell to be listed as the starter.  Because if (IF!) that happens, you've gotta move on and adapt.

All I'm saying is it's a real possibility.  Less than 50/50, but enough to consider.

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

I wouldn't worry about looking like a fool.

I'd worry about not having any takers. 

1 hour ago, The G Man said:

I wouldn't worry about looking like a fool.

I'd worry about not having any takers. 

I have poured over these posts over the years and read many of your opinions. It is now that I finally come forward. I have been offered melvin gordon and a.j brown for my connor, Antonio Gibson, and will fuller. I would pull the trigger right now but I think brown may now be heading to i.r. Thinking I should still do it. Trade value charts are mixed... 

Edited by Buckmcbuck
3 hours ago, Everynameistaken said:

Where did you get your info from if not from the internet? Did the sources call you up or text you personally?

I mean, just every beat writer for the Steelers, multiple sports-injury doctors, and... my eyes.

There was no actual injury. I don't know what else to tell you. 

Edited by ajs723
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, Buckmcbuck said:

I have poured over these posts over the years and read many of your opinions. It is now that I finally come forward. I have been offered melvin gordon and a.j brown for my connor, Antonio Gibson, and will fuller. I would pull the trigger right now but I think brown may now be heading to i.r. Thinking I should still do it. Trade value charts are mixed... 

Would take that immediately 

48 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

I mean, just every beat writer for the Steelers, multiple sports-injury doctors, and... my eyes.

So same sources as everyone else.

As for your eyes, its only been 1 game. Let's not jump to conclusions so early. Even the best have bad game.

Injury is below. Start watching at the 33:50 mark. On the short dumpoff where BIg Ben was a little inaccurate. Connor turned and tweaked the ankle. You can see him walking back gingerly to the huddle. Someone maybe said something on the sideline on how he should have caught the ball anyway and that probably set him off. But he does appear to be walking back to the huddle gingerly at the 33:57 mark. Anyone else notice it? 

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

Looks like a tweak. Watch the video on the post above. Let me know if you notice it. I definitely see Connor walking back gingerly to the huddle. Plays the next play, hit behind the line and then doesn't play anymore.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, sdlengua said:

Looks like a tweak. Watch the video on the post above. Let me know if you notice it. I definitely see Connor walking back gingerly to the huddle. Plays the next play, hit behind the line and then doesn't play anymore.

Doesn't look like an injury to me. But that's not important. What's important is that beat reporters said he never even saw a trainer, doctors on Twitter said there was no evidence on film of an injury, and he's already practicing in full. 

Two ways this Sunday goes down:

a.  James Conner really is the porcelain princess we saw last week and his time as a RB1 in Pittsburgh is through.  

b.  James Conner steps onto that field with fire in his belly and spit in his eye and takes his job back.

I have no clue which way it will go but I’m betting on option B and starting him.  Maybe it’s because I like a comeback story.  Maybe it’s because I’m more afraid of seeing a 30 point game on my bench than a 2 point game in my line up.  Or maybe it’s because my team sucks and I really need him.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
42 minutes ago, MagikarpeDiem said:

Two ways this Sunday goes down:

a.  James Conner really is the porcelain princess we saw last week and his time as a RB1 in Pittsburgh is through.  

b.  James Conner steps onto that field with fire in his belly and spit in his eye and takes his job back.

I have no clue which way it will go but I’m betting on option B and starting him.  Maybe it’s because I like a comeback story.  Maybe it’s because I’m more afraid of seeing a 30 point game on my bench than a 2 point game in my line up.  Or maybe it’s because my team sucks and I really need him.  

I would absolutely not start Conner this week unless you are very desperate, you gotta wait to see how this plays out. 

14 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I would absolutely not start Conner this week unless you are very desperate, you gotta wait to see how this plays out. 

That’s probably the smart move.  But I’m feeling lucky my friend.  

... and I am very desperate.  Ridiculous amount of injuries for this early in the season 

The offensive line was playing terribly and there were no lanes blocked for Conner early on. The line didn't start blocking until the 2nd Quarter when Conner was out of the game and Snell was the beneficiary of that.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/9/18/21443888/film-room-the-steelers-run-game-was-all-about-the-line-in-week-1-james-conner-benny-snell-derek-watt

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Buckmcbuck said:

Thanks for the recognition my friend. Not sure it's warranted, but I appreciate it nonetheless. 

Not sure what to advise on that offer though. I would only point out that Conner and Fuller have to be two of the more injury prone players IMO. But, AJ Brown is also hurt and who knows how long he will be out? I like the Melvin Gordon side now that Lindsay may miss some time. Why a 2 for 3 deal though? I'd try and get a little more value back if you can. Just a matter of time before Conner misses time IMO, and if you have Snell you will be able to capitalize when that happens. Good luck to you!

As for the video above and whether or not Conner really sustained an injury during the game, I see it now. I didn't at the time, but kudo's to sdlengua for posting it and pointing it out. I think you're right. Think I also heard he may have come into the game with the ankle taped and it looks like it to me (it's his left one, right?). Anyway, only time will tell if he's really injured and if he's able to hold off Snell. My money's on Snell, and yes I do own him so there's that. But, I really just think Snell may be a better fit for that offense. 

6 minutes ago, jhomes55 said:

I am honestly thinking of starting David Johnson over Conner.

And even Johnson over Snell this week....

Can't trust Conner and NO WAY Snell repeats his week 1 performance, even with the start.

If I had David Johnson this wouldn’t even be a debate.  Conner would be riding the pine. You must have some good RBs

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, MagikarpeDiem said:

If I had David Johnson this wouldn’t even be a debate.  Conner would be riding the pine. You must have some good RBs

I am in one laid back, Yahoo auto-draft 12 team league. 

Auto drafted Saquon/Conner and then picked up Johnson before the season started. Snell on waivers after Conner's "injury". Lol

Unless you're loaded at RB, you have to roll the dice again. We have no evidence to suggest Conner was benched and it's a reach to speculate that Pitt lied about an ankle injury to cover up for benching him when, if he really is benched, the news would come out anyway. And it would be unprecedented for a team to bench their starting RB 1 quarter into the season. 

Let's just hope he doesn't tweak his ankle again on his first carry on Sunday. 

• Like 1