NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Conner 2020 Outlook

28 minutes ago, dave.zavala89 said:

that's exactly what my 🌰🌰 are telling me 🤷🏻‍♂️

you dont bench a top pick 3 pick on week 2 especially if hes cleared to play 

Sure you can. Things change fast in the NFL.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Conner after seeing Snell's week one stat line

I don’t think I’d describe a cancer survivor who came back to play football a pussy but that’s just me. 

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

I’m starting to worry that the Steelers blow out Denver early and Snell ends up getting a lot of garbage time work so JC can heal up and this remains unpredictable until the Steelers feel JC is back to full health. At minimum. 

My last concern would be a Steeler's blowout.  Too many other concerns to even consider that.

The WHOLE situation is odd.  I'm hoping we hear something, good or bad by gametime.

Edited by mjb
12 minutes ago, mjb said:

My last concern would be a Steeler's blowout.  Too many other concerns to even consider that.

The WHOLE situation is odd.  I'm hoping we hear something, good or bad by gametime.

Edit: I'm trying to deal him for an RB2, but it's tough right now.

Other than Snell doing well in lieu of Conner’s injury, not sure what the major concern is in this thread. Injury/punishment conspiracy has already been clearly proven to be injury by video clips referenced on the last page.

If he’s over the tweaked ankle then it’s his job to lose again. If it ends up becoming more of a 1A/1B situation then maybe that’s not such a terrible thing for Conner’s health/ performance anyways...

• Like 1

I've owned James Conner all 3 years in a keeper league. Amazing find to start, but it's been just a mess since his first playoff missing injuries. Had tons of fun owning him and Samuels last year, now own him and Snell this year. I'm not starting either one this weekend, as much as I WANT TO start James Conner. Even I know better by now. Dobbins is in there and my co-owner and I were deciding between him and Gibson (just to give you all a comparison of players we're considering comparable weekly range). He's obviously a must hold and you just hope that it gets sorted out one way or the other over the next couple weeks. But seriously, don't count on it happening.

This is owning JC Now:

This Is My Nightmare GIFs | Tenor

2 hours ago, Hops said:

Other than Snell doing well in lieu of Conner’s injury, not sure what the major concern is in this thread. Injury/punishment conspiracy has already been clearly proven to be injury by video clips referenced on the last page.

If he’s over the tweaked ankle then it’s his job to lose again. If it ends up becoming more of a 1A/1B situation then maybe that’s not such a terrible thing for Conner’s health/ performance anyways...

The concern is that Tomlin and the Steelers are fed up with Conner's unreliable availability and/or his attitude/behavior, and that they'll think Snell is better for the job because of that and his strong performance in relief.

It's entirely justified concern.  Conner is not special, but he's shown in the past that he can be good.  It's entirely reasonable to worry that he'll get outplayed by Snell.

But there's not enough to conclude, or even assume, that's the case yet.

Best case scenario is that some of Conner's injuries are just him not toughing things out, and that he's learned from Monday night that he needs to be grittier.

Worst case scenario is that he comes out of the game because he got a bruise, and Timlin just says f it, we're going with Benny from now on.

Something closer to best case seems like the greater probability, but the worst case scenario has enough likelihood that his owners should be rightly uncomfortable. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Cleanface said:

I dumped him + Corey Davis for Alan Robinson. New Owner is an RB needy Conner believer and I needed WR help. 

Was gonna flex Conner but now I’ve got Hines in.  Godspeed y’all!  

Don’t see any issue with that move. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cleanface said:

I dumped him + Corey Davis for Alan Robinson. New Owner is an RB needy Conner believer and I needed WR help. 

Was gonna flex Conner but now I’ve got Hines in.  Godspeed y’all!  

Noice. You won. 

Yikes. Fantasy in a nut shell. Post draft, think you have a steal getting a workhorse TB in the third round only for him to lose his job a week into the season 🥵

I have PTSD from David Johnson last year when he lost his job. At least in that situation he gave us 4-5 weeks of actual usage though

Edited by jimithing11
1 minute ago, jimithing11 said:

Yikes. Fantasy in a nut shell. Post draft, think you have a steal getting a workhorse TB in the third round only for him to lose his job a week into the season 🥵

I have PTSD from David Johnson last year when he lost his job. At least in that situation he gave us 4-5 weeks of actual usage though

a little bit of overreaction here, before you declare snell the workhorse lets see how this plays out. Your crystal ball needs to be cleaned Nostradamus 

4 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Snell and Conner splitting carries today. Kills the value of both. 

For this week, perhaps. But it certainly feels like Snell’s forcing a changing of the guard. His body transformation, his improved quickness, and his performance in camp, all became evident to anyone with eyes in live action on Monday night.

They may split carries today, but Tomlin still wants a bell cow. Hard to imagine Conner can hold off Snell much longer. 

Q. Did Benny Snell do anything in the opener to make you either reconsider the "bell cow" approach, or make you think about who the "bell cow" should be?
A. I think he has stated a solid case for himself not only on Monday night but throughout this whole process. Any of us who had the opportunity to watch team development at Heinz Field, and I know it wasn't open to the public, what he did Monday night was very reminiscent of how he's been throughout this entire process. We are cognizant of his capabilities, and we do plan to utilize him, but we still have a "bell cow" mentality. We acknowledge, like it was on Monday night, that it could be him on any given week. - Mike Tomlin

https://www.steelers.com/news/tomlin-on-angst-bell-cows-batman-robin

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

For this week, perhaps. But it certainly feels like Snell’s forcing a changing of the guard. His body transformation, his improved quickness, and his performance in camp, all became evident to anyone with eyes in live action on Monday night.

They may split carries today, but Tomlin still wants a bell cow. Hard to imagine Conner can hold off Snell much longer. 

Q. Did Benny Snell do anything in the opener to make you either reconsider the "bell cow" approach, or make you think about who the "bell cow" should be?
A. I think he has stated a solid case for himself not only on Monday night but throughout this whole process. Any of us who had the opportunity to watch team development at Heinz Field, and I know it wasn't open to the public, what he did Monday night was very reminiscent of how he's been throughout this entire process. We are cognizant of his capabilities, and we do plan to utilize him, but we still have a "bell cow" mentality. We acknowledge, like it was on Monday night, that it could be him on any given week. - Mike Tomlin

I can’t disagree — Snell was spectacular on Monday night. Also, what Mike Tomlin said I take it with a grain of salt. He needs to install confidence in Benny and give James the push he needs to reclaim his job. Just remember IMO if Connor is healthy he is the leader. I own no shares of Connor and a few of Snell. 

31 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

“We acknowledge, like it was on Monday night, that it could be him on any given week. - Mike Tomlin”

This is pretty much the worst possible approach for fantasy. I was ready for JC to get injured but not for the Steelers to play a shell game each week. Fuuuuuuooork.

This is also not good (video in link):

https://mobile.twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1307669767935983616

From : #49ers TE George Kittle, out today, is battling a knee sprain and a bone bruise, but he's got a chance to play next week, source said. Meanwhile, the #Steelers will split carries amid the emergence of Benny Snell
17 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I can’t disagree — Snell was spectacular on Monday night. Also, what Mike Tomlin said I take it with a grain of salt. He needs to install confidence in Benny and give James the push he needs to reclaim his job. Just remember IMO if Connor is healthy he is the leader. I own no shares of Connor and a few of Snell. 

I'm just going by the eye test here, but Snell looked way more explosive and decisive than Conner before his injury. Today might be a "timeshare" but it will probably be 70-30 in favor of Snell if I had to put money on it. The only reason this thread is so long is because people are trying to justify their first round pick and holding out hope. The writing is on the wall already, Conner is an injury prone, less explosive back than Snell. Time to move on.