James Conner 2020 Outlook

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Conner after seeing Snell's week one stat line

I don’t think I’d describe a cancer survivor who came back to play football a pussy but that’s just me. 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, FeastMode said:

Sucks but not worried. This is the first time since week 1 that he got fewer than 18 touches. He’s a top 12 RB in PPR and he’s already had his bye week.  It didn’t help him that he played part of the game with Rudolph under center.

Rudolph wasn't the problem. That was only a few plays. He actually completed a pass to Conner. The problem was not seeing the field for 90% of the second half.

42 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Rudolph wasn't the problem. That was only a few plays. He actually completed a pass to Conner. The problem was not seeing the field for 90% of the second half.

Definitely, the limited touches and snaps were the problem.  I don’t think Rudolph helped. Dallas was already selling out to stop the run, and it seemed when Rudolph was in the defense was even more invested in that.  It was more than one series with Rudolph.  But the larger point is that Pittsburgh is undefeated, and they’ve gotten there with Conor getting at least 18 touches per game.  In my opinion they’re not suddenly going to change for the rest of the season. This game was a fluke. That’s the point I was trying to make.

• Like 1

Game was a fluke. Throw it out the window.

Everyone (including the Steelers players apparently) expected a 31-0 blowout. Nope. PIT came out flat and Dallas finally came to play...at home.

Steelers of course woke up in the 2nd half and I could swear they went four wide most of the time. Conner (nor any other RB) were barely seen.

It happens.

• Like 1

We got Tomlin'd.  Apparently being down by 10 halfway through the first quarter to a vastly inferior team means you need to completely abandon the run and throw the ball for the entire remainder of the game.  Steelers would have won by 20 if they just stuck to a balanced game plan.  Total knee-jerk mismanagement to a bad, fluky start to the game, and yet they still get rewarded with the win.  Literally the only losers here are Conner and his fantasy owners.  Mind blowing.

• Like 3

I have been starting Conners every week. He has been a bit of a roller coaster, but pretty decent. The last two games have been a bummer, but with 2 games against the Bungles and one against Jacksonville, I hope this turns around. I thought he would have a big game against Dallas.

Maybe adding Randy Gregory to the DL has inspired the whole Dallas Def.

What little I saw of the game, it looked like Pitt really struggled to move the ball. Pitt was 5/13 on 3rd downs. And 0/2 on 4th downs.

Dallas had some success moving the ball against a good Pitt Def both running and passing the ball.  Dallas ended up with a 33 to 26 minute time of possession. 

Maybe Pitt was looking ahead. But I don't know of anybody who thought that game script would play out the way it did.

I would think that Cowboy fans would be encouraged by what they saw on both sides of the ball.

The Steelers are 8-0. Tomlin must be doing something right. But Pitt can sure play better than they did yesterday.

I am a Conner owner and I want to pick up his handcuff, but who exactly is his handcuff? At first I thought it would be Snell, but maybe it's McFarland....., or maybe it doesn't matter really because it will be split between the two..... Any thoughts on who the handcuff to have is? 

Just now, GoBlue41 said:

I am a Conner owner and I want to pick up his handcuff, but who exactly is his handcuff? At first I thought it would be Snell, but maybe it's McFarland....., or maybe it doesn't matter really because it will be split between the two..... Any thoughts on who the handcuff to have is? 

I wouldn't bother in most settings. If he goes down it'll be a committee. I'd rather gamble with other bench pieces or playing the ww. I don't see big upside with either handcuff.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I wouldn't bother in most settings. If he goes down it'll be a committee. I'd rather gamble with other bench pieces or playing the ww. I don't see big upside with either handcuff.

One will definitely take the lead. I'm confident that Snell would get the lion's share of the carries. 

54 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

There's no handcuff.  If Conner goes down, this backfield becomes a fantasy wasteland.

I can't remember Tomlin ever using a committee. He'll choose one as the horse and the other as the change of pace. As he's always done. 

Snell doesn’t catch well out of the backfield.  My money would be McFarland.  I think they are comfortable playing Snell in clear run situations, but for max playcalling versatility they would use McFarland.  I don’t know that either would get the touches that Conner gets now, but Pitt has always used the RB in the passing game and that’s not Snell’s strength.  They won’t regularly (multiple games) rely on Ben running empty backfield sets because he’ll eventually get murdered and then their season will be in the toilet.  Just my $0.02.

Edited by FeastMode