James Conner 2020 Outlook

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Conner after seeing Snell's week one stat line

I don’t think I’d describe a cancer survivor who came back to play football a pussy but that’s just me. 

Posted Images

I would even try and trade this dude for a RB that is in a committee. Conner will

never get more than 15 carries a game with the way Steelers are slinging it. 

plus, when they have a chance, they decide to run out another RB anyways

a guy like Darrell Henderson is above him right now and there are 3 decent rbs on the team. 

3 minutes ago, PackerBacker555 said:

I would even try and trade this dude for a RB that is in a committee. Conner will

never get more than 15 carries a game with the way Steelers are slinging it. 

plus, when they have a chance, they decide to run out another RB anyways

a guy like Darrell Henderson is above him right now and there are 3 decent rbs on the team. 

I get your concerns regarding Conner's work load due to PIT airing it out. However Henderson isnt a great example, he's only topped 15 carries once and that was in week 3. Has touch totals of 9 and 8 the last two weeks

I still don’t understand what happened here. He was just fine for the first half of the season and when he was healthy in previous seasons. 

Something had to have happened. Healthy RBs don’t just fall off like that unless their O line/QB is injured or they turn 30. JC is 25. 

Is this an injury, disciplinary thing or just a serious case of the yips?

15 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

Is this an injury, disciplinary thing or just a serious case of the yips?

It's not disciplinary because no other RBs are really touching the ball.

The gameplans seem clear the last couple games. Short throws, little running. PIT isn't even CONSIDERING running the ball on the goaline.

Conner isn't getting a ton of touches, but what's worrisome is that he's not doing much with those touches.

• Like 1

Honestly I think the defensive game plan by Cincy caused this.  They had a few defensive backs out, they already don’t have a great defense, Pitt is undefeated and loaded with weapons, and Ben is not very mobile. Seemed like Cincy decided the only chance they had was to blitz every snap. They were constantly blitzing, and when Conner got carries plenty of times the gaps were full and Bengals were already in the backfield. His YPC was decent early on but then he had a few carries where he got bounced outside and a defender dropped him for a 4-5 yard loss because he couldn’t get an edge.  He played almost every snap but was in blitz pickup mode most of the game.

I’m not sure if this is the beginning of a trend though. You see where that game plan got Cincy....they got roasted. I think more competent defenses will trust their defensive backs to cover receivers long enough to bring more traditional 4-5 man pressure. Bengals couldn’t do it so they just kept bringing the house and kept getting burned.

And running the ball is in Tomlin’s DNA. He knows a good run game will keep Ben upright all season. I don’t think the Steelers are going to just abandon the run the way KC seems to have.  Conner will have better days.

Edited by FeastMode
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, Mr.E said:

Buy low candidate?

he might be. i own him and I want to sell sell sell. 

you might get him as cheap as you will all season short of a serious injury. the question is "is he even worth it at a reduced price if this usage is the new norm"?

Edited by yossarian

Yea its risky move that's why I wanted to get insight from owners. Thing is he has all the things you look for in a buy low, he's getting the carries, involved in the passing game, but severely underperforming yet has shown he can get it done (not that many weeks ago), and owners frustrated AF. I find that buy-low opportunities are typically the best when they don't feel like a buy-low anymore. 

I mean would anyone be that surprised if he drops a 100 and a touch next week?

1 minute ago, youngrice said:

Wouldn't buy low or sell to low.  Weather in Pitt will get bad and he will benefit.  But at this point his value is shot.

Everything you said there sounds like a buy-low to me

Just now, Mr.E said:

You would think.  But not if PItt continues to give him under 10 touches(as a conner owner not that confident).  Guess it depends on what you have to give up to get him

10 minutes ago, youngrice said:

You would think.  But not if PItt continues to give him under 10 touches(as a conner owner not that confident).  Guess it depends on what you have to give up to get him

Yea not sure yet, I'm thinking an underperforming/damaged goods WR2 or a WR3...maybe a Godwin (feels too rich though) or a Kirk type 

Edited by Mr.E
3 minutes ago, Mr.E said:

Yea not sure yet, I'm thinking an underperforming/damaged goods WR2 or a WR3...maybe a Godwin (feels too rich though) or a Thielen type 

I think both those are about right.  But if I owned the WR's wouldn't trade for Conner.  Big ben is basically the offensive coordinator now and he has forgot about the Rb's.  

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

4.2 ypc

22 rec - good for 16th amongst RBs

Currently RB15 in PPR

ATTENTION! ATTENTION!.....THIS JUST IN!

There aren't many elite RBs this year. Be happy with an HIGH RB2s production.

Agree...

Yet another rotoworld overreaction. Game scripted out of the Dallas game and as another poster mentioned Cincy blitzed a heap which didn’t help Conner’s cause.

Still a top 15rb and wouldn’t surprise me if that improved late in the season barring injury.

7 hours ago, Mr.E said:

I own Conner and as an owner, I would sell him. He is frustrating to own. He may get 15 touches max and he doesn’t get used in the RZ which caps anything. Not to mention they are undefeated, they “may” sit him late anyways if they have a 2 game lead. 

the other 2 rbs will get some run eventually. He doesn’t catch. Although that would be a buy low opportunity for a non owner, I would just stay away based on those factors. 

when are they going to lose? Might not happen. They will see on snell and McFarland which will severely cap anything Conner has

• Like 1