NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Conner 2020 Outlook

4 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

7 GL carries - T4th

RZ carries - T11th

3 RV targets - don't know where that ranks for RBs but Kamara has 7 for comparison 

It’s the Claypool show in the RZ. I also think he gets the looks after snell or McFarland have a chance. He must be in the dog house as I just don’t think tomlin likes him. 

if you are looking to buy low, I wouldn’t offer a lot. However, be prepared to be disappointed. If he doesn’t get it vs Jax, never will. 

I also just believe they will use the other 2 rbs more coming up

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Conner after seeing Snell's week one stat line

I don’t think I’d describe a cancer survivor who came back to play football a pussy but that’s just me. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, PackerBacker555 said:

I own Conner and as an owner, I would sell him. He is frustrating to own. He may get 15 touches max and he doesn’t get used in the RZ which caps anything. Not to mention they are undefeated, they “may” sit him late anyways if they have a 2 game lead. 

the other 2 rbs will get some run eventually. He doesn’t catch. Although that would be a buy low opportunity for a non owner, I would just stay away based on those factors. 

when are they going to lose? Might not happen. They will see on snell and McFarland which will severely cap anything Conner has

In 8 full games played he’s got 5 TDs. Most if not all of those were red zone touches. His usage has dropped off for two games but in PPR he has 14 or more fantasy points in all but 2 full games played.  Seems like some recency bias going on here.  The Claypool sweep action that they use in the red zone works exactly because the Steelers have a tendency to run the ball so much In the red zone.  Defenses are going to start hesitating on that sweep action and it will open up gaps for the RB.

Yes they have put McFarland and Snell in a few times in the red zone.  Neither of those guys has done much with the opportunities.  The biggest disappointment to me is the reduced usage in the passing game for all of the Steelers RBs.  But 10 games in, Conner is the workhorse on an undefeated team with a good offense.  I think this is the low point for his season, unless he gets injured (big if, I know).  The only RBs I would trade him for, I’ll never get.  Recognizing the injury risk, I would buy low if I didn’t already own him.

• Like 1

It's early in the week, but Fantasy Pros has Conner ranked as RB6 for this week. That's unfathomable to me. Conner ahead of Chubb, Hunt, Swift, Elliott, Jacobs, Davis, Robinson, etc. 

I know it's a good matchup, but he has 10 PPR points in his last two games combined, both of which were even better matchups. 

To me, Conner is a low floor RB2, and shouldn't be anywhere near the top ten this week.  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, ajs723 said:

It's early in the week, but Fantasy Pros has Conner ranked as RB6 for this week. That's unfathomable to me. Conner ahead of Chubb, Hunt, Swift, Elliott, Jacobs, Davis, Robinson, etc. 

I know it's a good matchup, but he has 10 PPR points in his last two games combined, both of which were even better matchups. 

To me, Conner is a low floor RB2, and shouldn't be anywhere near the top ten this week.  

Fantasy pros high AF

On 11/17/2020 at 4:50 AM, this guy right here said:

4.2 ypc

22 rec - good for 16th amongst RBs

Currently RB15 in PPR

ATTENTION! ATTENTION!.....THIS JUST IN!

There aren't many elite RBs this year. Be happy with an HIGH RB2s production.

Yes, but fantasy football is about trends.'

His last three games - 47, 22, and 36 yards rushing.  That's putrid for a guy who is dependent on volume and falling in the end zone.

His snap counts - 31 (58%), 32 (46%), and 64 (88%).  Looks like in weeks 8 and 9, the Steelers went empty backfield a lot as the RB snaps don't add up.  13 of 53 empty in week 8, and 24 of 69 (!) empty in week 9.  But in week 10, they went back to a traditional backfield.  McFarland was inactive this last week but Snell only got 4 snaps. That's the only encouraging thing.

If you're rolling out Conner again, you're doing so hoping he continues to get volume.  But lately even the volume hasn't been pretty.

Tomlin admitted Tuesday that the only thing perfect about his group is its record and there is plenty to work on before a visit to reeling Jacksonville (1-8), starting with a rushing attack that's taken a significant step backward over the past month.

“You always go through lulls in the season where components of your play are lacking, and it requires a re-center of energy or attention or focus,” Tomlin said. “I believe that is where we are in regards to the run game right now. We will get about that task this week.”

“We are not up to snuff right now. We accept ownership for that,” Tomlin said. “We are going to roll our sleeves up and solve it. We had a similar discussion a couple of weeks ago when you were asking about our third-and-long defense. We did similar things there, and I expect similar results in the run game.”  Pittsburgh forced the Bengals to go 0 for 13 on third down.

https://pro32.ap.org/dailystandard/article/first-world-problems-unbeaten-steelers-looking-run-game

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tomlin may say he wants to run, but they just simply haven't been doing it.

I think Ben is just comfortable with his awesome trio of pass catchers.  Claypool catching a short pass is basically a run.

I can't trust this dude this weekend, I don't care if it's against the Jags.  Looking elsewhere until this guy and the running game prove they are viable.

10 minutes ago, CooL said:

Tomlin may say he wants to run, but they just simply haven't been doing it.

I think Ben is just comfortable with his awesome trio of pass catchers.  Claypool catching a short pass is basically a run.

I can't trust this dude this weekend, I don't care if it's against the Jags.  Looking elsewhere until this guy and the running game prove they are viable.

You’ve got a lot better options than me if you’re benching Conner.  I’m worried about his usage and performance too but I still can’t list 12 backs I would start over him.  

3 minutes ago, MagikarpeDiem said:

You’ve got a lot better options than me if you’re benching Conner.  I’m worried about his usage and performance too but I still can’t list 12 backs I would start over him.  

At this point of the season, you have to look past the name on the jersey and look for actual production.

Conner's last three games: 47, 22, and 36 yards.  That's putrid and season ending.  I'm not going to keep putting him out there.

JD McKissic, Devontae Booker, Nyheim Hines, and Rex Burkhead have all been doing more in the last weeks than Conner.  Maybe JD and Hines are owned already.  But Booker or Burkhead could be floating out there. 

Maybe I'll be wrong and he'll show up again.  But I have no confidence in this Steelers' run game right now.

2 minutes ago, CooL said:

At this point of the season, you have to look past the name on the jersey and look for actual production.

Conner's last three games: 47, 22, and 36 yards.  That's putrid and season ending.  I'm not going to keep putting him out there.

JD McKissic, Devontae Booker, Nyheim Hines, and Rex Burkhead have all been doing more in the last weeks than Conner.  Maybe JD and Hines are owned already.  But Booker or Burkhead could be floating out there. 

Maybe I'll be wrong and he'll show up again.  But I have no confidence in this Steelers' run game right now.

I get it he’s had some stinkers but lead back on good offence against lousy run D equals start to me.  

7 minutes ago, MagikarpeDiem said:

I get it he’s had some stinkers but lead back on good offence against lousy run D equals start to me.  

Yeah, it's all about what options are available.  I'd have a hard time starting Booker and Burkhead honestly over Conner, especially Booker.  But I'd easily start JD or Nyheim over Conner if I had that option on my team.

It's crunch time and I can't afford a pedestrian game from my RB slot for a fourth week in a row.

• Like 2

[...] He's gotten some touches but hasn't done much with them. Also Pitt has too many weapons and don't need to target him out of the backfield. The dump offs are almost non existent in this offence. Then Snell / Claypool loom as goal line TD vultures. They're winning this way so I don't think all of sudden they'll abandon the game plan. 

[...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Another frustrating game today. Solid yardage yet vultured again by Snell out of a 1 yard TD, and Roethlisberger throws 46 times against a JAX team that never had a shot.  This will be his usage ROS apparently...

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, LSUtiger said:

Another frustrating game today. Solid yardage yet vultured again by Snell out of a 1 yard TD, and Roethlisberger throws 46 times against a JAX team that never had a shot.  This will be his usage ROS apparently...

Yeah it's really frustrating. Dude could be an RB1 if the Steelers ran a typical amount of times. At least it wasn't a complete dud. He's a mid to low end RB2 going foward.

Edited by fantasyscholar
  • Like 1

I watched Conner like a hawk this game. Looked for him in any possible camera shot.  If there's any silver lining I can offer here, its that his relationship with Tomlin and the team, attitude, etc appear to to be great standing.  I know there's been some speculation, and I've even wondered myself, if he's being punished in some weird fashion...after observing today, that just doesn't appear to be it, IMO.  He was chumming it up with Tomlin on the sidelines, participating heavily in everyone else's TD celebrations, ran great when given the chance....and once again, provided amazing protection for Ben all friggin day..  he's doing everything right.  Pitt has simply become the most unbalanced offense that I can recall watching in any recent history, and its working.   Not sure if Ben and Tomlin are trying to make a hard push for MVP or what, guess it doesn't it matter, bc its working.  Just hope if Conner keeps doing all the right things that itlll turn around for us sooner than later.  

Edited by CletisVanDamme
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1