NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Conner 2020 Outlook

42 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

The problem is that when they go pass-heavy, they don't throw the ball to Conner. He should be getting a boatload of targets and 5 or 6 catches on the regular. He's barely getting one or two dumpoffs per game. 

That is bizarre too. 

Ben lead the NFL in attempts (484) but his 29th in yards per attempt. The only QBs below him are Wentz, Foles, and Darnold. 

Essentially he is throwing the most but is the least efficient. 

Edited by johnnyboy8102
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Conner after seeing Snell's week one stat line

I don’t think I’d describe a cancer survivor who came back to play football a pussy but that’s just me. 

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

That is bizarre too. 

Ben lead the NFL in attempts (484) but his 29th in yards per attempt. The only QBs below him are Wentz, Foles, and Darnold. 

Essentially he is throwing the most but is the least efficient. 

Maybe the Steelers will realize this and give Conner more run, but honestly, I think he just needs a new team. The Steelers are having too much fun with all of their WR weapons. They can get by with Snell, McFarland, and street FA's as RB.

10 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Maybe the Steelers will realize this and give Conner more run, but honestly, I think he just needs a new team. The Steelers are having too much fun with all of their WR weapons. They can get by with Snell, McFarland, and street FA's as RB.

Well, last night there were six drops I can remember of the... wtf variety.

Not to be confused with the... wft variety. 🤣

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

It is fine if the focus on the passing game but when the Steelers are up 24-3 with 6 mins to go in the 3rd they are giving opponents too many opportunities with 3 and outs. 

In that circumstance they need to run the ball more with Conner. 

But all of the evidence shows us that they'll still come out with 5 wide sets, even if they're up three scores in the second half. It's not Conner's fault, but he's just basically impossible to trust as anything more than a low end RB2. 

So he’s being activated, but can we really rely on anything here? Steelers are throwing it a ton, also factor in Snell/McFarland spelling JC and even vulturing him. Conner is Almost as risky with the likes of Hines/Mckissic, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Brettg57 said:

So he’s being activated, but can we really rely on anything here? Steelers are throwing it a ton, also factor in Snell/McFarland spelling JC and even vulturing him. Conner is Almost as risky with the likes of Hines/Mckissic, etc. 

I actually don’t think he’s a bad start this week.  Buf D has been pretty generous to RB and I think Pitt got a taste of what not having a strong run game will do to you against Wsh.  Conner is fresh and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him used fairly heavily if he’s 100% recovered 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Brettg57 said:

Snell looked awful and McFarland was getting under 5 touches with Conner Out. 

If Tomlin has a brain he will recommit to Conner like he did Weeks 2-7.

I mentioned earlier in this thread and Ben leads the NFL in pass attempts but is 29th in yards per attempt. The imbalance of the Steelers offense kept bad teams like Dallas & the Covid Ravens in the game too long before losing to an inferior Washington team. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Andy Mick said:

As a Steeler fan, this is the worst run blocking line I've ever seen. That's including those late 2000's lines. I don't think the Steelers lack of running the ball is because they don't want to or because the coaches are too stupid to realize passing the ball 50 times a game won't cut it come playoff time. I just think the coaches realize this line is physically incapable of effective run blocking. 

The stats support your observation:

Why haven’t the Steelers run the ball more? Well, part of it is due to the fact that their offensive line just isn’t getting much push. Conner and the Steelers backs have averaged just 1.12 yards before contact, which ranks third-lowest mark in the NFL.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/12/the-primer-week-13-edition-2020-fantasy-football/#was-pit

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, MagikarpeDiem said:

I actually don’t think he’s a bad start this week.  Buf D has been pretty generous to RB and I think Pitt got a taste of what not having a strong run game will do to you against Wsh.  Conner is fresh and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him used fairly heavily if he’s 100% recovered 

13 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Snell looked awful and McFarland was getting under 5 touches with Conner Out. 

If Tomlin has a brain he will recommit to Conner like he did Weeks 2-7.

I mentioned earlier in this thread and Ben leads the NFL in pass attempts but is 29th in yards per attempt. The imbalance of the Steelers offense kept bad teams like Dallas & the Covid Ravens in the game too long before losing to an inferior Washington team. 

I agree with both of you guys. I am still probably starting Conner but don’t have a lot of confidence this week in him just based on situation. 

On 12/8/2020 at 8:22 AM, sasnumberonefan said:

Yep, after watching the game last night I am not worried about Snell taking any snaps/touches from him any more. Snell sucks.

Conner is better than Snell, but Snell has been OK.  He has 3 games as the feature back:

• 19 touches - 113 yards
  • 19 touches - 93 yards
  • 10 touches - 10 yards

2 good games, 1 bad game.  Conner has been inconsistent as well.

10 minutes ago, roughnecker101 said:

Luckily I've got better options. But common sense would say they try and get it going.

But most likely a shoot out with Allen and Ben chucking it 40+ times

Steelers defensive injuries are also going to help this along.

12 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

He is now a play only if you have to option for me. If you have guys like Gallman/Gaskin types(Like I do) I will play them over him this week. If you have nothing better then id still start him for his 15 touches and hope he gets a short td run.

Even the hope of a short TD run is damped by the Steelers incessant use of Snell as the short down-goal line back. I don't see much upside for Conner going forward. I want to be wrong, though.

2 hours ago, Nap Time said:

Conner is better than Snell, but Snell has been OK.  He has 3 games as the feature back:

• 19 touches - 113 yards
  • 19 touches - 93 yards
  • 10 touches - 10 yards

2 good games, 1 bad game.  Conner has been inconsistent as well.

Weren't those first two games ages ago? Feel like they were a different offense the first three games. A lot has changed for sure since that first game when Conner got injured.

Hoping something changes this week in terms of philosophy. Feel fortunate in this particular week where I can sit this one out due to a bye week and see if it's the same ol' crud or what.

Safe to say no Conner owners are bothering holding Snell now? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, atdharris said:

I just have no confidence in starting him this week in a must-win situation. The Steelers seem content throwing 55 times a game and Ben no longer checks it down to Conner as he did in 2018. Hard to gamble that will change this week. 

This.

And I desperately need JC. 

I just can’t bring myself to trust him this week.