NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Darnell Mooney 2020 Outlook

pushaZ

I don’t know if Bears fans are as excited about this guy as the rotoworld community.  But then again, maybe it’s just the nature of a Bears fan to be a hater.  I can attest to that.  

Two plays vs the Rams that should provide a glimpse into what’s going on with him right now in terms of a lack of rapport with his QB & a failure of decision-makers to assess the dire OL situation:

Bomb #1 - Prancing for too long, and then a full sprint, resulting in the ball being out of reach.  Most people will blame Foles.  If Mooney sprints out of the gate, maybe Foles has a chance to deliver a catchable deep ball without people breathing down his neck.

Bomb #2 - Excellent fake on Ramsey, he damn near broke his ankles.  It makes for great video on Twitter and gets people talking.  But he stopped dead in his tracks right when Foles was bombing it.  The ball ended up being 20 yards out of reach. 

Foles is under constant assault, but theoretically, he’s still capable of delivering some accurate deep balls.  His arm isn’t necessarily the question - it’s dreadful mobility that does him in.  He doesn’t have a prayer in hell of buying any time.  I think if Mooney digs hard on both of those, we’re talking about at least one huge play.  He needs to understand that Foles could get murdered if he doesn’t get rid of the ball within 2-3 seconds.  

That said, if Mooney has a couple bombs thrown his way against the Saints, the law of averages indicates that he will come down with one.  That probably sounds like a load of crap, but you’d have to think that him and Nick are talking about those missed opportunities behind closed doors and maybe shoring things up in order to get on the same page.  That game must have been one hell of a learning experience.

Realistically though, without Daniels and Whitehair on the line, the Bears are toast.  Unless they go back to Trubisky.  Ponder that for a moment.  Now more than ever they need a QB that can buy time.  But they’re stuck with Foles until he gets injured. 

34 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Bomb #2 - Excellent fake on Ramsey, he damn near broke his ankles.  It makes for great video on Twitter and gets people talking.  But he stopped dead in his tracks right when Foles was bombing it.  The ball ended up being 20 yards out of reach.

Have to respectfully disagree on this one. I’ve watched that replay multiple times, and Mooney definitely doesn’t pull up until he sees the ball is well out of reach. That said, the blame on that play fell mostly on the offensive line, not Foles — one more second of protection and it was probably a TD.

4 hours ago, TonyRomo said:

The question is which one of Miller or Mooney draws Lattimore coverage?

It honestly doesn’t matter. Lattimore plays up or down to the competition. Miller or Mooney won’t bring out Latt’s A game. 

If I was the Bears I would take 4 deep shots. The Saints safeties are absolute garbage. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LionKid90 said:

I just can’t get on board with owning any other pass catcher on this offense other than Robinson. I just don’t think the offense is capable of supporting two WR’s.

The floor of a Bears secondary WR is just too low.

think most of those who will take the spec are doing so as per ARob's availability for Sunday ... they played Monday night, and he's still in concussion protocol. 

that puts a whole new paint job on this kid's prospects. 

9 hours ago, jnormy said:

Have to respectfully disagree on this one. I’ve watched that replay multiple times, and Mooney definitely doesn’t pull up until he sees the ball is well out of reach. That said, the blame on that play fell mostly on the offensive line, not Foles — one more second of protection and it was probably a TD.

I meant that he put on the brakes right as Foles was releasing it, and then he resumed his sprint after shaking Ramsey.  Foles didn’t have time for any interruption in what was presumably a deep route to center field.  It’s a huge play if he gets a step on Ramsey.

Kid passes the eye test for sure. I'm popping him in the line up, bears have to have lots of air volume to try to beat the saints, i expect its not close and bears go down and have to air it out. Although nagy is dumb, same game script vs rams in 4th quarter and Montgomery runs...

1 hour ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

I meant that he put on the brakes right as Foles was releasing it, and then he resumed his sprint after shaking Ramsey.  Foles didn’t have time for any interruption in what was presumably a deep route to center field.  It’s a huge play if he gets a step on Ramsey.

So you’re talking about that quick stutter step to get open? That probably saved Foles from throwing an INT. If Mooney just runs a straight go route on that play, Ramsey (one of the best DBs in the game) runs with him and likely picks off that floating lame duck of a pass. 

43 minutes ago, jnormy said:

So you’re talking about that quick stutter step to get open? That probably saved Foles from throwing an INT. If Mooney just runs a straight go route on that play, Ramsey (one of the best DBs in the game) runs with him and likely picks off that floating lame duck of a pass. 

Maybe, but with Foles throwing out of the end zone in the face of severe pressure, you take your chances with a one-on-one matchup.  There wasn’t going to be any safety help.  I’m not saying it would’ve been easy.  It just appeared to me while I was watching that not everyone was on the same page.  The best video replay was of Foles’ vantage point, and I can’t find the video anywhere.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 8:35 AM, pastorofmuppets2 said:

think most of those who will take the spec are doing so as per ARob's availability for Sunday ... they played Monday night, and he's still in concussion protocol. 

that puts a whole new paint job on this kid's prospects. 

4 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Tell ya what, the way he has been dusting these elite corners makes me relatively optimistic even if Lattimore is on him. Real thing stopping him is target share and some CATCHABLE balls thrown his way.

Allen Robinson being out would alleviate one of the two.

Facts. I believe he 2nd last in the NFL with a sub 44% catchable ball rate.

Should be noted it appears that CHI is gonna be windy as hell Sun afternoon, not loving that, but still flexing the MoonMan this week.

8 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Facts. I believe he 2nd last in the NFL with a sub 44% catchable ball rate.

Should be noted it appears that CHI is gonna be windy as hell Sun afternoon, not loving that, but still flexing the MoonMan this week.

That might actually HELP Foles’ passes get to him... 😆

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Yeah, he's definitely gotten open numerous times. He doesn't have the greatest hands/ball awareness, but he can shake a DB and burn them over the top. If he was on just about any other team, I would add him in a 10 team league, but I'm skeptical that Foles/Trubisky can turn him into a usable fantasy asset outside of a spot start this week.

Solid keeper in Dynasty. QB play is the only thing holding him back. This is why he has passed up Miller in the pecking order. One guy studies fil  and works at his craft, the other thinks he's already arrived. Mooney is the hard worker.

(5) His first purchase with his NFL money was a JUGS machine.

Mooney decided the best use of his first professional paycheck was to reinvest in his career. He bought a JUGS machine so he could keep working on his craft at home.

7 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Another week, and more good corners added to his 'dusted list'....

IF Foles gets just a bit more air on his seam bomb it was a TD too.

It's slowly starting to come together, I will keep starting him and hope the emergence is as real as it appears.

Definitely a must have in dynasty, and a pretty good PPR start right now...he's tacking on some receptions with big play upside. It's funny- he has the DeSean and Marquise body type but seems to be adept at the mid-routes and possession type of routes.

• Like 1