Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Damien Harris 2020 Outlook


Recommended Posts

 Selected in the 3rd round by the Pats in the 2019 draft which many didn't like because they just took Sony in the 1st. Only got 4 carries all of last season while Sony had a bit of a sophomore slump in efficiency. However there is some precedence with Belichick not giving rookie RBs many carries if there is an established veteran (rookie Vereen, Ridley, James White.) With Stidham being a great unknown as a passer there is a good chance the offense becomes very run-heavy this year. If Sony continues being inefficient then there is real opportunity for Harris to take on a decent workload. Definitely worth a late round pick this year.

Edited by sSektor
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tough crowd in here. Expecting a second year back with 4 carries to his name, no offseason, no preseason, a few practices under his belt, to hit every hole and have instant chemistry with the offenive

Before Harris played: Stash him he could be a league winner! After Harris played and ran for 100 yards: I don't know, is he really worth it?  Truly befuddling. Wasn't that exactly was you wer

Think you meant bellcow but I'm always up for more cowbell too

Posted Images

I'd feel better about his chances if they got rid of even a single back on that depth chart, but i really think BB has at least a little trust in all three guys ahead of him, so its an uphill battle for Harris to see enough touches to matter this season.   Hopefully he at least gets a chance to show a little bit and line himself up for 2021

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sSektor said:

However there is some precedence with Belichick not giving rookie RBs many carries if there is an established veteran (rookie Vereen, Ridley, James White.)

All three of those had under 500 yds their sophomore seasons. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

The only thing to trust is not trusting a bill Belichick RB

Belichick has definitely had productive fantasy RBs. It's just not the one you think it is though

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

The only thing to trust is not trusting a bill Belichick RB

Correction: don't draft one. Once he figured out during the season who his guy is, grab him off the waiver.

Edit: grab the RB, don't grab Bill Belichick. That would be awkward.

4rPIwNokJQgo0VI9sv8XeyQvZ_K3U0vFfSj6QE_S

Edited by Boudewijn
Link to post
Share on other sites

Performed well in the preseason game they featured him, how does he not get a chance this time? To me he’s not just one of the ‘backs they have. As already suggested, if your keeper setting is the round drafted, could have some bada-choo-choo action going on!

Link to post
Share on other sites

With Stidham at the helm, one would think Belichick’s plan will be to win with a strong defense and strong running game. Don’t ask Stidham to do too much, just be a game manager. 
 

I could see Belichick leaning on a powerful back like Harris, potentially even focusing the offense around him. Play great defense, and keep running Harris, assuming he’s effective of course. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

DHar looked Better th an Sony in preseason last year with the eye test IMO. If Sony struggles in the beginnibg of the year I have no doubt DHar gets his shot and takes that 1spot going foward. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard a podcast pundit saying Harris was really taxed at Alabama I think it was and the narrative suggests he kinda got the year off to learn the system, recover, and get right. Agree he’s still too buried on the depth chart but also think Sony could be washed and we all know how often Rex “Jack 2” Burkhead gets K.O.’d

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Proteus said:

I heard a podcast pundit saying Harris was really taxed at Alabama I think it was and the narrative suggests he kinda got the year off to learn the system, recover, and get right. Agree he’s still too buried on the depth chart but also think Sony could be washed and we all know how often Rex “Jack 2” Burkhead gets K.O.’d

Wait wait, please don't confuse Sony and Damien Harris. Maybe they have the same denomination RB but that's not how Belichick sees them.

lastjoyousalpinegoat.gif?w=640&h=448

Sony is a rusher. He takes the field to carry the ball. He can catch a ball, but that's not his job, his job is to get the rock and get progress.

Harris should be the next James White. He's used on passing plays. Sure, he can rush, but he's an essential part of the receivers. That's a very different and difficult job, and it takes time to learn in the Patriot way.

He'll get there, but it takes time. And in the past, it generally took a LOT of time, and I'm not sure having a fresh QB is going to make it easier. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Wait wait, please don't confuse Sony and Damien Harris. Maybe they have the same denomination RB but that's not how Belichick sees them.

lastjoyousalpinegoat.gif?w=640&h=448

Sony is a rusher. He takes the field to carry the ball. He can catch a ball, but that's not his job, his job is to get the rock and get progress.

Harris should be the next James White. He's used on passing plays. Sure, he can rush, but he's an essential part of the receivers. That's a very different and difficult job, and it takes time to learn in the Patriot way.

He'll get there, but it takes time. And in the past, it generally took a LOT of time, and I'm not sure having a fresh QB is going to make it easier. 

DHar is not a passing down back although he can definetly catch a ball. DHar was born to be a rushing back. When I look at DHar I dont view him as a pass catching scat back.... I think you have DHar confused with someone else?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

DHar is not a passing down back although he can definetly catch a ball. DHar was born to be a rushing back. When I look at DHar I dont view him as a pass catching scat back.... I think you have DHar confused with someone else?

Agreed, Harris is more in the mold of Sony (1st 2nd down) , type back not a White....I think the O-line being healthy will help the Pats running game this year: Hopefully one of the new TE's can block a little 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2020 at 2:37 PM, Boudewijn said:

“Wait wait, please don't confuse Sony and Damien Harris. Maybe they have the same denomination RB but that's not how Belichick sees them. ... Sony is a rusher. He takes the field to carry the ball. He can catch a ball, but that's not his job, his job is to get the rock and get progress. Harris should be the next James White. He's used on passing plays. Sure, he can rush, but he's an essential part of the receivers. ...”


Totally agree on Harris’ ball skills, which are excellent. But you want to take a closer look at him, he’s proportionately low to the ground & can stay on the field! They activate all those RBs plus a FB, Harris could free up a roster spot for them. Last year Michel tied with his former Bulldog teammate Nick Chubb at 23rd in the league in yards before contact. However, in yards after contact Chubb was 3rd in the NFL, while Michel was 44th. The OL may return to form & Michel more productive, but Harris is the one that can do everything well & get them those tough yards. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FlashGordon401 said:

Could be Harris time sooner than later.

WHAAA?  The Patriots failed to report an injury?  That is just cray-cray.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FlashGordon401 said:

Could be Harris time sooner than later.

His injury history has to have figured in to them taking Harris.   I was excited about drafting Sony because I thought he had decent pass catching skills.   But he had some bad drops in critical situations.  And he's certainly not James White.    So I'm pretty interested in Harris as a late round pick with Sony's injury history.  Combined with the fact that he (Sony) just doesn't look great in short down situations.  Particularly the goalline. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

Well, time to saddle up? Michel on the pup

 

Solid late round flyer, but White will take up most of the receiving work, and Michel's injury isn't considered serious. Burkhead still lingering around as well. Lots of mouths to feed, and BB loves to feed 'em.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

Well, time to saddle up? Michel on the pup

 

Yessir. I'm confidently drafting Harris late. He has a clear opportunity to take the lions share of carries and run with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Singing in Dwayne said:

 

Solid late round flyer, but White will take up most of the receiving work, and Michel's injury isn't considered serious. Burkhead still lingering around as well. Lots of mouths to feed, and BB loves to feed 'em.

Not to mention the QB change and the loss of key defensive pieces.   Might be a James White year.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...