NBC Sports Edge Forums

Damien Harris 2020 Outlook

1 hour ago, zorndogs said:

He will be the death of us all. He's never going to have that game. He's a seat filler. I benched him for Booker who scored less than him, but I dont regret it. Harris is just limited in this offense

Disagree, he is the back to own for sure and has a decent floor.  He didn't get a touch in the 4th quarter because Bill put the back ups in.  He got two goal line touches earlier in the game and also had a few runs when they were in the red zone.  Bottom line for me is if this was a competitive game he would have been over 100 yards again and if he converts one of those GL touches into a score, we are all happy.

He's a weekly Flex play regardless of matchup and he has high RB2 upside, pretty good value for a mid year pick up.  If you're expecting RB1 numbers out of him I think your expectations are way too high given this offense and Cams ability to convert short TDs.

• Like 2
  • Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tough crowd in here. Expecting a second year back with 4 carries to his name, no offseason, no preseason, a few practices under his belt, to hit every hole and have instant chemistry with the offenive

Before Harris played: Stash him he could be a league winner! After Harris played and ran for 100 yards: I don't know, is he really worth it?  Truly befuddling. Wasn't that exactly was you wer

Think you meant bellcow but I'm always up for more cowbell too

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, TroutFister said:

yah he's very difficult to trust...i mean the pats had a massive lead and they still didn't run it down the chargers throats with harris. if harris can't get 20 carries in a game like this, while also knowing scam will be there to vulture tds, you can't trust him at all. And it's sad because harris looks legit!

I usually stay far away from Pats RBs but I picked Harris up because of this. When he gets the ball he kind of pops off the screen a bit--if i'm scrolling and only half paying attention to the game and he gets a rush it makes me look up. I've learned to trust my gut and pick guys like that up if they're available. I'm not sure if the opportunity will ever present itself with the Pats but he definitely has the talent to be a very good RB. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, yossarian said:

I usually stay far away from Pats RBs but I picked Harris up because of this. When he gets the ball he kind of pops off the screen a bit--if i'm scrolling and only half paying attention to the game and he gets a rush it makes me look up. I've learned to trust my gut and pick guys like that up if they're available. I'm not sure if the opportunity will ever present itself with the Pats but he definitely has the talent to be a very good RB. 

he definitely passes the eye test. im really thinking about keeping him in a keeper league, because hes got the talent...but the pats love making their rbs unreliable in fantasy. if newton does leave an the pats attain a more conventional qb, i'll have a big reason to keep him...seems like sony michel is useless going forward as well.

32 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Are there any reasons to be optimistic this week?

Same as always - he is getting most of the key carries in any game. Game flow is the key as always. I pretty much have to start him this week for those reasons.

• Like 1
On 12/7/2020 at 12:33 PM, TroutFister said:

he won't? you sure of this? scam is awful, but i haven't seen any evidence of the pats moving on. 

He's an UFA after the season and is on an uber-cheap one-year contract in 2020. You haven't seen evidence of the Pats moving on, but I haven't seen evidence of the Pats buying in past this season. 

• Like 1

What should we make of Michel's 11 touches last game? Cause for significant concern? I thought losing Burkhead would increase Harris' opportunities, but Michel seems to have killed that. Although, I could see it having been that Bill went with the second RB in a blowout to preserve his top back. It seemed like Harris got most of his carries in the first half.

2 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

What should we make of Michel's 11 touches last game? Cause for significant concern? I thought losing Burkhead would increase Harris' opportunities, but Michel seems to have killed that. Although, I could see it having been that Bill went with the second RB in a blowout to preserve his top back. It seemed like Harris got most of his carries in the first half.

You think he will be having the same amount of touches? It looks like Sony Michel is slowly taking his job back... This article is a good read though...
https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/08/bill-belichick-explains-rb-sony-michels-new-role-for-patriots/

Edited by BennyStocks
3 minutes ago, BennyStocks said:

You think he will be having the same amount of touches? It looks like Sony Michel is slowly taking his job back... This article is a good read though...
https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/08/bill-belichick-explains-rb-sony-michels-new-role-for-patriots/

I don't know, I have the same questions. I don't think it's really clear right now whether last week was evidence of his regaining the lead role or simply a situational anomaly. I will say, though, in regard to that article, that I would think Michel playing more on special teams would seem to indicate that he's still the backup.

19 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

17 minutes ago, BennyStocks said:

4 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I don't know, I have the same questions. I don't think it's really clear right now whether last week was evidence of his regaining the lead role or simply a situational anomaly. I will say, though, in regard to that article, that I would think Michel playing more on special teams would seem to indicate that he's still the backup.

Was waiting for someone to break character, considering 9 of Sony's 11 carries came when the Patriots had a 35-0 lead, but it sounds like you guys are actually seriously questioning this?

Cam Newton is the biggest problem (with James White a distant second), as far as Damien Harris is concerned.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, nb009 said:

9 of Sony's 11 carries came when the Patriots had a 35-0 lead, but it sounds like you guys are actually seriously questioning this?

Cam Newton is the biggest problem (with James White a distant second), as far as Damien Harris is concerned.

Cam Newton is the biggest threat to TD upside, true, but I'm pretty much beyond that in this game. My judgment will be based on potential touches. Cam will eat into that a bit, but as long as Cam's rushes keep the offense moving, that's a positive in my mind. Concerning Michel, at first glance, I think that his workload being confined to garbage time seems like it was just a case of a backup getting work in a blowout. But these are Patriots RBs we're talking about and it's the fantasy playoffs. I feel like you can never be too sure with this team. Bill's approach forces you to overthink the RB situation. So, the conventional logic seems positive for Harris here, but I would be pleased to get the predictions of fans more plugged into this team than I am.

Edited by EaglesRocker97

I think as usual with Harris, we can expect 13-18 rushes and maybe 1 target with limited goalline work. Even in a negative game script, the Patriots will have to run the ball some.

So it becomes a question of how efficient we think Harris can be against a pretty stout defense. Can he break at least one run of 20+ yards?

• Like 2

Michel's carries were garbage time in a blowout. He also consistently posts 3-3.5 ypc while Harris continues to plow for upwards of 5 against stacked boxes. Harris is still the lead RB on this team, but he gets vultured a lot at the goal line. So as always, safe floor of 7-10 points, but very limited ceiling because he doesn't carry the TD upside that most lead running backs have.

Desperation play if you're down on RBs, but ideally this guy is your backup option on your bench and not your starter.

Edited by harck
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, harck said:

Michel's carries were garbage time in a blowout. He also consistently posts 3-3.5 ypc while Harris continues to plow for upwards of 5 against stacked boxes. Harris is still the lead RB on this team, but he gets vultured a lot at the goal line. So as always, safe floor of 7-10 points, but very limited ceiling because he doesn't carry the TD upside that most lead running backs have.

Desperation play if you're down on RBs, but ideally this guy is your backup option on your bench and not your starter.

Probably now he gets three tds. 🤣

FWIW,  a Boston friend seems to think Michel will still be involved because he's a first-round draft pick that was widely criticized and Bill will want to vindicate the pick. That sounds about right. He also thinks it will be a blowout, but I'm honestly not so sure about that.

1 minute ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

FWIW,  a Boston friend seems to think Michel will still be involved because he's a first-round draft pick that was widely criticized and Bill will want to vindicate the pick. That sounds about right. He also thinks it will be a blowout, but I'm honestly not so sure about that.

Blowout which way? I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats win, but I doubt this will be a huge win either way. Definitely don't see the Rams winning by a lot.

6 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

man, who knows? to me Harris looks like, by far, the best RB in that backfield. Michel's had a couple chances now and never really made much of an impression. You'd think Harris would at least get the majority of 1st and 2nd down carries with Michel getting like..5 carries over the course of a game. This is a group of Bill Belichick RBs though so...expect Michel to get 19 carries, 15 catches for White, and a DNP for Harris because he was late for a meeting in 7th grade.

I'm holding him in a dynasty and really happy to have him but I'm also relieved I'm not in a position where I have to start him this week, or even this season, really.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Blowout which way? I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats win, but I doubt this will be a huge win either way. Definitely don't see the Rams winning by a lot.

He meant a blowout loss for NE. Personally, I think we'll get the typical TNF sluggish offense/defensive struggle. I'm not overly worried about gamescript but am still little concered if the touches will be there.

• Like 1

No antonio gibson no joe mixon going into the playoffs and Dame is my boy tonight... I need that it game with a stamp on it... he's ranked high per pff every week... time it shows up in the fantasy stats...

• Like 1