NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Drew Brees 2020 Outlook

urban2014

I could not find a thread on him but he is he hot water of the comments that he made he pissed Michel Thomas,  and Lebron.  Season is not here yet, but he has his hands full with pissed off WRs

• tonycpsu changed the title to Drew Brees . 2020 Outlook

Eh, I certainly don't agree with him, quite the opposite, and his failure to read the room here is telling, but cmon.  Every team has guys that disagree politically, ntm pretty much every owner is probably funding political campaigns most of his players don't support.   Once they get together, they'll agree to disagree and football will come first.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just can't see the Saints releasing this guy. But is it possible? Throw in today's remarks, teammates upset in regards to his remarks and a looming retirement after this upcoming season. The Saints could move on to the future a season early.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, joebaker23 said:

I just can't see the Saints releasing this guy. But is it possible? Throw in today's remarks, teammates upset in regards to his remarks and a looming retirement after this upcoming season. The Saints could move on to the future a season early.

Lol not happening.

He would retire before any of that happened

He can believe what he wants and getting into politics would get this thread locked real quick but from a pure football standpoint what a dumb thing to say when the majority of the team is black. I get staying true to your convictions but man the timing and everything just not good. 

That being said Winston isn’t going to start and Brees isn’t going to get benched. Let’s be real here. Dude is one of the biggest sports icons in NO history. It’s not like he pulled a Donald Sterling

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Eh, I certainly don't agree with him, quite the opposite, and his failure to read the room here is telling, but cmon.  Every team has guys that disagree politically, ntm pretty much every owner is probably funding political campaigns most of his players don't support.   Once they get together, they'll agree to disagree and football will come first.    

Yeah the timing is just bad. If he said this like 4 months ago for example people would be kind of upset but it wouldn’t be seen as a huge deal.

None of these guys that disagree with him are going to refuse to play with him. As you mention they’ll talk about it and everything will go back to normal. 

18 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

But yea he will be chucking his tds per usual , I love when I can get Brees on any team especially discounted 

Remember that the past 3 years, Brees has had only 32 attempts/game, as compared to a steady 40 att/game between 2010-2016. So judge him on his recent production, not the historical one - he will still be good but never top-5 again.

Regarding his dumb comments: that's the definition of tonedeaf.

3 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

Regarding his dumb comments: that's the definition of tonedeaf.

In his defense he was asked about it on an interview. I suppose he could have said something like “I rather not talk about my feelings on the issue during this time.” That being said, the interviewer knew exactly what he was doing baiting Brees. 

8 minutes ago, Breesus said:

I hope so. I am hurting man he’s my favorite athlete ever. Sad day 

Tell me about it brodie , I’m a Saints fan. Still shocked honestly he made those comments in the first place. We were actually discussing this in our league group chat. And most everyone blasted him for it 

• Like 1

Considering how their seasons have ended the past two years I would think Brees and his teammates can work this out and take one more good shot at winning a Super Bowl. Winston with his fixed eyeballs would become very interesting though if everyone’s feelings are hurt to the point they can’t overcome this incredibly devastating controversy.

Edited by Marty Funkhouser

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29265750/drew-brees-completely-missed-mark-comments-flag?linkId=90118573&fbclid=IwAR0iDnaH0Y5_-Vwrc8NCP0AjPP6OObeMAfEdt7Rlyquai-vXD8oGIA3lX2w

New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees issued an apology Thursday for his comments on "disrespecting the flag," saying he "completely missed the mark" on current issues in the United States and that it "breaks my heart to know the pain I have caused."

• Haha 1

• tonycpsu changed the title to Drew Brees 2020 Outlook