NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Drew Brees 2020 Outlook

urban2014

1 minute ago, scheibler said:

Everyone is, the spread started Packers +6.5. Vegas is right more often then the public though. Typically when everyone is on one side it's not good for the public

yeah, i know how betting/Vegas works, been at this for quite some time. 

regardless - forget the pernts, i'm taking the Pack straight moneyline (+135).

as far as the line moving so strongly, the Pack always take a ton of "homer" money ... that factors in, as well. 

2 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

as far as the line moving so strongly, the Pack always take a ton of "homer" money ... that factors in, as well. 

Something feels fishy about this line. 

I was originally all in on GB, but if D. Adams is out not so sure.

Everyone seems to be counting NO and Brees out right now. At home and frustrated after a couple of listless offensive outings, my gut is telling me that NO rebounds here big time without M. Thomas.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kyoun1e said:

Everyone seems to be counting NO and Brees out right now. At home and frustrated after a couple of listless offensive outings, my gut is telling me that NO rebounds here big time without M. Thomas.

yeah, and there's also plenty of sentiment thinking that way, as well ... Vegas always knows how to angle, doesn't mean they're always right.

would've loved the 6.5, but i'll settle for what's on the table - if it misses, so be it ... wouldn't be the first (won't be the last) time 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, scheibler said:

Everyone is, the spread started Packers +6.5. Vegas is right more often then the public though. Typically when everyone is on one side it's not good for the public

3 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

1 hour ago, kyoun1e said:

Scores and odds now has total @ 53 pts,taking into consideration that the first two weeks these teams have scored 85(Pack) and 58(Saints) pts. I could see this going a bit higher yet.That said being a Brees/TreQuan owner and starting both we're probably in for a 20-17 type game.

7 minutes ago, BallinOnnaBudget said:

I see the points he put up but who watched? His arm looked super weak on MNF in LV. How was he this week?

Pretty much the same...did most of his damage through dump off passes to Kamara and short routes to his WRs. He tried a couple deeper throws that looked like they just kind of floated there. I do think his arm strength has deteriorated, however he can still be productive by feeding Thomas/Kamara in the short and intermediate passing game. But with his big play potential lacking compared to years past, I think he will finish more around QB15 this year compared to his top 5 ceiling of years past.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GoPackGo23 said:

Pretty much the same...did most of his damage through dump off passes to Kamara and short routes to his WRs. He tried a couple deeper throws that looked like they just kind of floated there. I do think his arm strength has deteriorated, however he can still be productive by feeding Thomas/Kamara in the short and intermediate passing game. But with his big play potential lacking compared to years past, I think he will finish more around QB15 this year compared to his top 5 ceiling of years past.

I agree.  Depending on the matchup, and definitely once Thomas is back, Brees can still do well and put up good points.  He's almost a lock to get 50ish yards from dump-offs.  The high-end QB1 Brees that you can start every week of old is definitely gone though.

1 hour ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

How does everyone feel this week with the potential high scoring game?

M. Thomas AND J. Cook were just ruled out.

Not so good. 

Kamara/Murray show.

[...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed assistant coach content

4 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

M. Thomas AND J. Cook were just ruled out.

Not so good. 

Kamara/Murray show.

[...]

Yeah not good. He lives with those dump offs to Kamara but if there are no threats deep for the safety, it's gonna make for a long day. My other QB is covid postponed so gotta start him and hope for the best. Maybe this is that 1st big Emmanuel Sanders game? A man can hope🙏

23 minutes ago, shaolincage said:

Can't bring myself to drop him. Can't wait until MT and Jared Cook comes back - hopefully the offense gets better

Was very close prior to the 1 pm games. Couldn't do it.

If I don't start him vs. LAC he's gone since the bye week is coming. Lot of other QBs out there with some solid matchups the next couple weeks. Cousins, Herbert.

It's crazy watching him throw, looks like a different dude. There are 3 advanced age QB and Brady is the only one that has any zip left on his throws. Both Brees and Rivers look like straight noodle arms. Wanted to keep him till MT gets back, but due to roster size, may need to dump. Dude looks spent

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BallinOnnaBudget said:

It's crazy watching him throw, looks like a different dude. There are 3 advanced age QB and Brady is the only one that has any zip left on his throws. Both Brees and Rivers look like straight noodle arms. Wanted to keep him till MT gets back, but due to roster size, may need to dump. Dude looks spent

He may look spent but he's getting it done and most weeks (where you're not facing L. Jackson or Mahommes) you're probably going to be alright.

11 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

He may look spent but he's getting it done and most weeks (where you're not facing L. Jackson or Mahommes) you're probably going to be alright.

Getting it done at a low QB1 - QB2 type level though. 

Outside of his 23 pts vs. GB, he's gotten <= 16 pts in the other 3 games in my ESPN league. 

That's not exactly getting it done at a very high level, certainly vs. expectations and history. 

I just looked right now, and in my league, he's sitting at QB19. Surely when MT comes back, he'll pick it up a bit, but I think it's certainly fair to consider starting other guys over him, or even releasing him if you need a bench spot. Not to get too specific but I'll have to drop him or Tee Higgins this week and it's a toss up right now, that's how swimmingly the Brees 2020 campaign is going...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BallinOnnaBudget said:

I just looked right now, and in my league, he's sitting at QB19. Surely when MT comes back, he'll pick it up a bit, but I think it's certainly fair to consider starting other guys over him, or even releasing him if you need a bench spot. Not to get too specific but I'll have to drop him or Tee Higgins this week and it's a toss up right now, that's how swimmingly the Brees 2020 campaign is going...

Yes. Agree. He hasn't cost me any games yet, but he certainly could if the trend keeps heading south.

[...]

I'm probably going to be tempted to keep him around over the bye week unless I feel comfortable I'm grooming his successor (Herbert?).

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

He ended up putting up a solid fantasy line, but boy was it ugly in the first half.

Bye week now. Who is holding?

After the bye: CAR (actually a good pass D),  @CHI, @TB. 

Don't think I see me playing him until week 10 vs SF or the week after vs. ATL.

May be bye bye to Mr. Brees for me.

1 hour ago, kyoun1e said:

He ended up putting up a solid fantasy line, but boy was it ugly in the first half.

Bye week now. Who is holding?

After the bye: CAR (actually a good pass D),  @CHI, @TB. 

Don't think I see me playing him until week 10 vs SF or the week after vs. ATL.

May be bye bye to Mr. Brees for me.

Probably a bit dependent on your individual league, but I'm personally letting him go. Hasn't been terrible, but I can't really afford to be using a bench spot on a decent QB2 when I play in a 1 QB league with a few acceptable options out there on waivers. 

3 hours ago, fantasymad said:

I think he has a big 2nd half with Thomas back. 10 TDs in 5 games without Thomas. 

Also that week 15 fantasy playoff match-up at home vs the Chiefs has shootout written all over it! 

this.  would think he would be a decent sell high candidate as opposed to dropping.  coming off a good game, thomas coming back, after this week will be through his bye.  maybe try to offer to dak owner?