NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Drew Brees 2020 Outlook

urban2014

1 minute ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

Should out to Drew Brees for a wonderful career and leading teams to fantasy wins with some of those ridiculous seasons. 

And he’s also good at kneeling. I’m sure his grandfather is so proud 

• Like 3

Some sources (non-officialdom), are speculating that Brees said something to Winston, suggesting he's done. In the spring, Hill or Winston present interesting, yet, much cheaper options at QB.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Joe Mama said:

Brees retirement offiicial.

According to Rappoport, Winston 'likely starter', FWIW.

Why make this extension deal with Hill just to give the starting job to Winston who is currently a UFA? With the cap he’ll they’re in why even sign Winston?

1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Because Taysom Hill is Tim Tebow and Jameis Winston just might be something quite a bit better.

Except Hill himself is quite a bit better than Tebow was.

Well we shall see.  If the Saints go into the season with Taysom Hill and a clear backup QB type, they think Hill is good enough to be their starter.

If they add a significant quarterback like Winston, that means they do not think Hill is good enough to be their starter for an entire season.

My money is in door no. 2.

Even if they add Winston, I expect Hill to start week 1.    The desire to keep Winston at the right price might not only be cap motivated.  They might just want him as insurance.   Winston should at least see what the market offers if the Saints are lowballing at the moment.

3 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Why is it such a foregone conclusion that Hill is trash but 30 INT Winston is clearly better?

His 2019 season was his highest Int% by a wide margin. That one season doesn’t mean he’s thrown 30 picks every season or ever will again. 

2 hours ago, BMcP said:

Except Hill himself is quite a bit better than Tebow was.

Not really. He was a better version of Tebow but not quite a bit better, and he is not a longterm QB. 

1 hour ago, BrianM said:

Even if they add Winston, I expect Hill to start week 1.    The desire to keep Winston at the right price might not only be cap motivated.  They might just want him as insurance.   Winston should at least see what the market offers if the Saints are lowballing at the moment.

If Winston signs, I’ll be shocked if Taysom starts week 1. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Not really. He was a better version of Tebow but not quite a bit better, and he is not a longterm QB. 

If Winston signs, I’ll be shocked if Taysom starts week 1. 

A nearly 73% completion percentage last year contrasted with Tebow’s career ~48% is enough to confidently allow me to state Hill has been quite a bit better as a QB thus far - a better YPC rushing doesn’t hurt, though.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BMcP said:

A nearly 73% completion percentage last year contrasted with Tebow’s career ~48% is enough to confidently allow me to state Hill has been quite a bit better as a QB thus far - a better YPC rushing doesn’t hurt, though.

I agree. I thought before the season that Hill would be a joke, but if you extrapolate his 4 games to the full 522 passing plays that the Saints executed in 2020 (so a full season), then you'd get around 4000 yd with 17/9 TD/INT, and that's pretty darn solid. And to think that in those same 4 games he added 209 yd and 4 TD (which again extrapolates to some tasty numbers), then the joke is entirely on me.

Not saying he can repeat any of that in 2021, but I sure do take him a bit more serious. Way, wayyyy more serious than Tebow.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ginocan said:

Thanks for the memories. HOF the day he hoisted the trophy and SB ring. We are talking about possibly a top 5 QB for me personally. 

Pretty awesome backstory too, not really valued, dumped by the Chargers, picked up by a franchise that needed a major turnaround, then the hurricane and the fairy tale story... Plus, his accuracy over the years has been insane. Yes, totally a first ballot HoF to me.

• Like 3

He will forever be remembered by me as the franchise QB my Dolphins whiffed on at least twice. Hat tip to one of the greatest QB's to ever play. A consummate professional and a fierce competitor. A warrior.

Will be anxious to hear and see how he does as a broadcaster. But, if he approaches it the same way he did as a player, I have no doubt he will be very successful.

My first time seeing him play in person was at Camp Randall (UW) for a night homecoming game, Purdue v Badgers. That night in 1999 he set several passing records, completions/attempts and yardage I believe. Badgers still pulled it off but it was an amazing showing. Could not believe he slipped to 2nd Rd in the draft, but it ultimately helped him develop that killer edge probably. I hate that his legacy might be slightly (maybe by some) marred by what he said last off-season, but in what was his true high character function he used it to improve as a person and teammate. He will always be a legend to me, and most in NOLA.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 2:44 AM, Boudewijn said:

" ... I thought before the season that Hill would be a joke, but if you extrapolate his 4 games to the full 522 passing plays that the Saints executed in 2020 (so a full season), then you'd get around 4000 yd with 17/9 TD/INT, and that's pretty darn solid. ..."

There were reports or one, that the Saints were looking to bring Winston back on a deal that put him in the lower half of the starting pay rate. They have now done that, he signed on for 12M. I don't think he's there to be the backup. Recall that there were any number of people within the organization who believed Winston should've been named the starter. To bring him back and then there's some wish-wash sauce served up, I don't know. When you have two guys recognized as the QB, you don't have one team. 

Admittedly, I wavered on Hill week to week, I couldn't figured it out. You roll with what he did statistically, and the team did win, but you're either unaware or ignoring a lot of near turnovers from him. Small hands, not good ball skills, they pared back the scheme considerably when he was in there. Don't get me wrong, he's a leader, he's tough, can extend plays & is in his element doing so. I reserve the right to change my mind immediately after posting this! lol

For us, those who aren't confident in Winston holding onto the starting role, I don't know about drafting Alvin Kamara in the 1st round. When Hill was in there, Kamara became the main focus of every defense & the results not good.  

Edited by markrc99
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 5:57 PM, TheForearmShiver said:

Why is it such a foregone conclusion that Hill is trash but 30 INT Winston is clearly better?

Shark is just salty he missed out on starting Hill at TE for a game last season

• Haha 1